Billiken Victory Fund

SluSignGuy

28 minutes ago, Schasz said:

If the current AD made the hire at the conclusion of this season 7 would seem fair. That's what Ford has been given to produce only 1 NCAA trip to date in year 7. It's only a crap shoot (win A-10 Tourney) to have a chance for 2 in 7 years. Count me on someone net betting on that happening.

he would have had one in the covid year and this year is not over yet,

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, dennis_w said:

How many years do you give the new coach to do thi?

Most new hires get 4 or 5 years. That seems fair. It gives a coach a cycle of his own players.

If you make a good hire  you see progression each year. 
A bumpy first year. 
improvement and lower level tournament 2nd year. 
3rd year pushing for an at large and you go from there.

If you make a great hire you can push for an at large in year one or two. 

If you make a bad hire you hope to get lucky in the A10 tournament. Kind of like what we do now.

33 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

he would have had one in the covid year and this year is not over yet,

I may be misremembering but I thought at the time of the shutdown we were on the outside looking in according to NET but moving in the right direction.

I may be wrong with that. 

Bizziken likes this

8 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Most new hires get 4 or 5 years. That seems fair. It gives a coach a cycle of his own players.

If you make a good hire  you see progression each year. 
A bumpy first year. 
improvement and lower level tournament 2nd year. 
3rd year pushing for an at large and you go from there.

If you make a great hire you can push for an at large in year one or two. 

If you make a bad hire you hope to get lucky in the A10 tournament. Kind of like what we do now.

I may be misremembering but I thought at the time of the shutdown we were on the outside looking in according to NET but moving in the right direction.

I may be wrong with that. 

Yes and trending to get in , and very likely Billikens we’re playing good ball. Slu is not a destination school for many coaches wishing for a better one than ford is a real roll a the dice

1 minute ago, dennis_w said:

Yes and trending to get in , and very likely Billikens we’re playing good ball. Slu is not a destination school for many coaches wishing for a better one than ford is a real roll a the dice

if they were outside the bubble when the shutdown but trending in the right direction I don’t think we should count that as a tournament team. 
They were not high enough in NET when the season ended so I consider that a miss. 

I don’t disagree but I also think it’s a real roll of the dice hoping to win the A10 tournament every year. 

Schasz, Bizziken and Soderball like this

42 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

We were roughly 72 in the NET (even behind VCU) and were the 4th seed in the A10 Tourney. We were in Dayton's (29-2, 18-0) half of the bracket and were likely looking at a tough matchup against the Bonnies in our first game. We had work to do. I remember thinking that if we beat Dayton we were probably in. 

Was every team on track to make the tournament?

No but some probably were.  I am sure some held on and made it and some jumped over others so I am not sure what your point is unless it is only the Billikens were the ones who were negatively impacted and that would just be silly

Just now, cheeseman said:

No but some probably were.  I am some held on and made and some jumped over others so I am not sure what your point is unless it is only the Billikens were the ones who were negatively impacted and that would just be silly

No my point is the Billikens were having a good year and the ford haters don’t want to give him credit for such .

36 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

I would say to the ford hater, just be miserable in your Billikens fandom because ford ain’t getting fired 

Just because I want more doesn’t mean I’m miserable. 
I still enjoy the games. I still get excited on game day.

Ill do the same next year if Ford is retained.

I just think they can and should try to do better. 

cheeseman likes this

No my point is the Billikens were having a good year and the ford haters don’t want to give him credit for such .

Ford has been here for like 7 years now. You hang on this one year, which hit every program, like it's some kind of holy grail. Ford is who he is, and is who he has been for his entire coaching career. Move on.

TheA_Bomb and BC1764 like this

13 minutes ago, Soderball said:

Ford has been here for like 7 years now. You hang on this one year, which hit every program, like it's some kind of holy grail. Ford is who he is, and is who he has been for his entire coaching career. Move on.

23-8 equals bad year , ok you win fire him

1 hour ago, dlarry said:

Just because I want more doesn’t mean I’m miserable. 
I still enjoy the games. I still get excited on game day.

Ill do the same next year if Ford is retained.

I just think they can and should try to do better. 

Ya I can want ford gone, but still get excited every game and want to win every game. I don’t hate ford, I just feel confident we can replace him with someone better 

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

Ya I can want ford gone, but still get excited every game and want to win every game. I don’t hate ford, I just feel confident we can replace him with someone better 

This.

I get why some people want to keep Ford around.

He’s going to win 20 games.

He will have them in contention for the the NIT most years.

He will finish top half of the A10 most years 

He is great with the fans and media 

He’s seems like a good guy.

What I don’t get is how most of the people who want to keep him don’t understand how anybody would want him gone. They are completely blind to all of his faults.

It really amazing to see. 

BC1764 likes this

3 hours ago, dennis_w said:

23-8 equals bad year , ok you win fire him

Hey I’m not really on your side of the argument here, but let me help:

Your argument shouldn’t be using the 19-20 year. You should be using the 20-21. Top 20 team pre-pause. Very average after the pause. They clearly lost a step

33 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Hey I’m not really on your side of the argument here, but let me help:

Your argument shouldn’t be using the 19-20 year. You should be using the 20-21. Top 20 team pre-pause. Very average after the pause. They clearly lost a step

they were hot going into the tournament 19-20 , and correct they were rolling until the covid pause 20-21. i have seen a lot of good and bad billiken teams the last 55 years, i appreciate what is being built now go bills

9 hours ago, dennis_w said:

they were hot going into the tournament 19-20 , and correct they were rolling until the covid pause 20-21. i have seen a lot of good and bad billiken teams the last 55 years, i appreciate what is being built now go bills

my point was not that we were the only team that dealt with covid, the point was that the billikens had a good year and the ford haters act like it didnt happen. the mantra is only i trip to the tourney in 7 years, this year isnt over and 19-20 very well could or would have been a tourney bid. so it is one in five not 1 in 7 and you could hardly count his first year. i get he is not perfect as a coach but it should be acknowledged that he has won over 60% of his games

27 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

my point was not that we were the only team that dealt with covid, the point was that the billikens had a good year and the ford haters act like it didnt happen.

Besides the troll account I haven’t heard one person not acknowledge this