• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bullet points:

1. Season’s over, huge disappointment.

2. Which players will return?

3. Will Ford be retained?

4. If not, which signees will re-open recruitment, and who will May target?

5. Only one way to describe this season and, repeating for emphasis, a HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT.

Watching the Billikens too much like my golf game: hi sets aside 2 to 3 hours of my life hoping for some entertainment, enjoyment, and relaxation… Only to be frustrated and in the middle of it I am wondering why am I wasting my time? Then all of a sudden there’s a small stretch of success only for it to all blow up in my face while my anxiety and blood pressure go through the roof and at the end I have realized all I’ve done is waste about three hours of my life that I will never be able to get back 

10 minutes ago, BANGheGOTit said:

Watching the Billikens too much like my golf game: hi sets aside 2 to 3 hours of my life hoping for some entertainment, enjoyment, and relaxation… Only to be frustrated and in the middle of it I am wondering why am I wasting my time? Then all of a sudden there’s a small stretch of success only for it to all blow up in my face while my anxiety and blood pressure go through the roof and at the end I have realized all I’ve done is waste about three hours of my life that I will never be able to get back 

High handicap problems

14 minutes ago, BANGheGOTit said:

My handicap was once 2, now it’s 14, as in 14 clubs and a ball. Gave it up for good three years ago and haven’t missed it.

26 minutes ago, JettFlight5 said:

You are right. Just looking for something positive in that feces show.

With you there. It’s the same outcome and story every year…finish at best fourth in the league, then reveal how injured certain players really were…like no other teams had such challenges.

2 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

With you there. It’s the same outcome and story every year…finish at best fourth in the league, then reveal how injured certain players really were…like no other teams had such challenges.

The excuses are wearing thin.  Everyone has injuries, everyone has off-court issues, etc.  Just like real day-to-day life—people (team) needs to deal with it and learn how to overcome adversity.

20 minutes ago, brianstl said:

This team was 7-2 and and 41 in the Pomeroy rankings after the SIU game.  It was an at large team. How do fall apart this bad?

When your coach just isn’t that good, and doesn’t coach up the team.

All teams have either gotten better and/or are streaking going into March.  This team is not, that’s a direct result of the coach.

48 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

My handicap was once 2, now it’s 14, as in 14 clubs and a ball. Gave it up for good three years ago and haven’t missed it.

My dad once told me “once you have kids you have to decide, do you want to be good at golf or do you want to be a fisherman because you won’t be able to do both anymore.” 

I’m still caught in the middle of what I want to do but he was right it’s hard to do both with kids in the picture.

7 minutes ago, Lando Griffin said:

When your coach just isn’t that good, and doesn’t coach up the team.

All teams have either gotten better and/or are streaking going into March.  This team is not, that’s a direct result of the coach.

No doubt Ford hasn’t done a good job but I think this team is so mentally soft that even John Wooden would have a tough time with them.

I really believe something happened during the season that took the fight out of this team. They just want to get to the finish line at this point.

billiken_roy likes this

Just now, dlarry said:

No doubt Ford hasn’t done a good job but I think this team is so mentally soft that even John Wooden would have a tough time with them.

I really believe something happened during the season that took the fight out of this team. They just want to get to the finish line at this point.

Something different has happened this season.  I have not l been the biggest Ford fan.  While not fixing all the issues as the season went along, even I can admit he had history of rallying the team after a couple of disappointing conference losses and having them play good basketball down the stretch most seasons.  They are playing their worst and most inconsistent basketball ever.

4 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Travis usually has his teams playing better late in the year.  This team just has way too many soft players.  There’s at least a handful that get way too many minutes for the return they give.  Unfortunately the focal point of the team is one of worst offenders (in my opinion).  How can the most important piece of your team, the one who produces the most, also be at least one of the biggest reasons for lack of production?

Marlow likes this

So at this point, after seeing this crap over and over again, will Travis shake things up? He’s aware of the criticism and he’s been down this road before.  Is he feeling like his job is on the line, or is he ready for a change? We all know the track record.  He doesn’t seem to veer from his path.  He keeps running out the same people, running the same plays.  If I’m a player, facing the last few games of this disappointing season, I’m getting in some faces.  I’m either going to be a big part of next years squad or I’m going somewhere else and I’m not taking a back seat to someone who won’t be back anyway…thinking of someone like THJ.  

7 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

No fears:  I think we are still a bubble team, for the NIT.

Do we want that NIT game here or away?  Which players will opt out?

We don’t want it at all.  End this misery. The only way I would accept a bid is if the bench gets as many minutes as they possibly can and we don’t see any of the current rotation.

I really have no interest in the NIT.   Hope they aren't in that bubble.  That said considering the auto qualifiers for that and the fact they only have 32 teams, I would say an 80 or above NET pretty much sinks a team for the NIT imo.

I believe the ONLY post season hope is truly winning it all in Brooklyn.

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I really have no interest in the NIT.   Hope they aren't in that bubble.  That said considering the auto qualifiers for that and the fact they only have 32 teams, I would say an 80 or above NET pretty much sinks a team for the NIT imo.

I believe the ONLY post season hope is truly winning it all in Brooklyn.

You could make the argument that it would be good experience for the young guys but all Travis would do is play the same guys with the young guys getting 2-4 min.  Seen enough. 

47 minutes ago, dlarry said:

My dad once told me “once you have kids you have to decide, do you want to be good at golf or do you want to be a fisherman because you won’t be able to do both anymore.” 

I’m still caught in the middle of what I want to do but he was right it’s hard to do both with kids in the picture.

As many balls as I hit in the water I found out you can do both…just not well :)

1 hour ago, dlarry said:

Even more damning reason against the coach if you ask me….

12 hours ago, SLU_Nick said:

I’d like to hear from someone who wants to keep Ford.  

people keep telling me he won’t get fired bc he has some (silent) support from the people that matter.   

I honestly can’t make a compelling case.  Is there anyone that thinks we will reach a sweet 16 if Ford coached another 10 years.  Hell, he didn’t even make a sweet 16 with Boone Pickens money did he? 

Fire Ford.  It’s honestly clearer than crews to me 

I have consistently been a Ford supporter.  But this game has turned the tide for me.  I have been a ardent SLU Billiken fan since I was a student at Saint Louis University in the early 1970's.  I was a season ticket holder for a decade until I moved out of state.  So I have seen many coaches and coaching changes over the years. 

Typically after a coaching change the team would go through several difficult years rebuilding.  Then if the new coach was a poor recruiter or poor technician of the game, SLU would wallow in mediocrity for years until another coaching change was made.  Seen them all from Polk, Albrecht,  Ekker, Soderberg, Romar, Crews ..... and yes, a few good ones like Grawer, Spoonhour, Majerus.

So why did I support Ford so long?  I see his shortcomings but he does put a winning product on the floor.  Given that I gave him the benefit of the doubt, believed he would get the program over the hump.  He would give the program a chance for long-term success.  But after last night ....... UGH!

So watching Mizzou succeed quickly with a dynamic new coach, pulling talent in from the transfer portal, has changed my mind.  Get the right coach and the program can be a good or at least decent team year 1 with the transfer portal.  Lord knows SLU has a nice campus, great facilities ..... a lot going for the program.  

So given all that, I'm in finally.  It's time for a change and the program doesn't have to struggle for years after a coaching change.