Why was there no Billikens Madness this year?

thetorch

The men are nearly preseason top 25, returning the best team in a decade.

The Women have a new coach with nearly all new players.

Seems like the strangest year to NOT have a Madness type of event.

Do we just not do these anymore? Everyone else does.

There is hundreds of reason to have one. Especially this season I can't come up with a reason not to.

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

Ya I dont get this at all, I thought I was going insane cause I couldn't find anything on it. 

Me too.

I just assumed I missed it.

I couldn't believe no one else was talking about it.

I saw UMASS had one the other night. How does UMASS who's been under .500 since Chaz have one and we don't.

Wasted oppurtunity for the men and women.

am i imagining this or did we get invited to an open practice back when the team was getting ready to go to europe?   maybe they thought that was good enough?

11 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

am i imagining this or did we get invited to an open practice back when the team was getting ready to go to europe?   maybe they thought that was good enough?

Yeah, it was Billiken Madness Lite.  As far as the real thing, I'm not sure I want to attend a Billiken Madness where Perkins and Okoro are being held out as a precautionary measure.  That's 40% of the starting lineup.

11 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Yeah, it was Billiken Madness Lite.  As far as the real thing, I'm not sure I want to attend a Billiken Madness where Perkins and Okoro are being held out as a precautionary measure.  That's 40% of the starting lineup.

I think injury concerns are part of it, I'm sure Ford is a leaning towards paranoid these days.

28 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I think injury concerns are part of it, I'm sure Ford is a leaning towards paranoid these days.

Coach Tillett wasn’t here last year, but anyone who saw the WBB team play games with only 1 healthy sub available would be paranoid about injuries too. She did have a different event for season ticket holders, kind of a meet and great the coaches and players.  I didn’t go, so I can’t speak about it.

2 hours ago, GoSluBills said:

I was wondering about this too. I think last couple years pre-COVID they did indeed do one. It's a great opportunity to interact with fans and hype the team up so it should 100% be done every year.

For what it's worth, they did a students-only "pep rally" event to hype up students for the season. I saw a flyer somewhere for it and heard the attendance was somewhere below 300.

GoSluBills likes this

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

It wasn't. The open practices were months ago. Injury concerns are a cop out. Sit them then. We can still watch Hargrove and Thames dunk and get to know the teams.

1 minute ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

For what it's worth, they did a students-only "pep rally" event to hype up students for the season. I saw a flyer somewhere for it and heard the attendance was somewhere below 300.

The event was announced maybe 36 hours before it took place on socials.

Weak.

19 minutes ago, thetorch said:

The event was announced maybe 36 hours before it took place on socials.

Weak.

I don't love that we're not getting an event and it's probably a poor choice. Personally I could take it or leave it, I think I just get bummed out when they aren't well attended.

4 hours ago, willie said:

Without Madness how will we know who the next Donnie Atkins is? 

I see no Donnie Atkins, Judy Jeffries, Sekue Barentines, Adam Knollmeyers, or Greg Hardins on this squad.  We are 9 deep with legit D-1 starting caliber players with 4 freshman who could contribute on most SLU teams over the years but will compete for garbage time.  If there was any year to showcase SLU basketball this was it.