GDT: A10 Semifinals vs Davidson

1 hour ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

A10 shouldn’t be a one bid league next year. Us, Dayton, VCU, and Davidson bring most key contributors back and should only improve. I wouldn’t call Dayton a preseason T25 team (only Davidson is) but they have the potential to make it there at some point throughout the season. Smith and Holmes are the real deal

Don’t forget about Loyola Chicago. 

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Tough break but as we Bills fans know all too well, injuries are part of the game.  They're easily a preseason top 20 team going into next year.  When's the last time the A10 had two preseason top 25 teams?  Because next year is a distinct possibility.

Give me Perkins and we’re a top 15 team

8 hours ago, wgstl said:

Why “easily” ? 2nd or 3rd best team in a 1 bid league? Yea young, got it. That’s not enough to rightfully be a T25 team. 

Because we've all seen enough basketball to know how marketing works.  The preseason top 25 is just a sales brochure.  DaRon Holmes and Malachi Smith, a 2nd place finish in the A10, a win over Kansas as freshmen, etc. is an easy sell.

9 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Tough break but as we Bills fans know all too well, injuries are part of the game.  They're easily a preseason top 20 team going into next year.  When's the last time the A10 had two preseason top 25 teams?  Because next year is a distinct possibility.

Davidson loses only Brakovich I believe. Not sure about Lee, but Loyer’s a JR. They’ll be tough again. Richmond and StB’s are in total rebuild mode. 

6 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I did but know nothing about them. 

Loyola should take a step back next season. Their two best players are super seniors who took advantage of the extra year of eligibility. Interestingly, Loyola had four players do so, and only about 30 seniors who took advantage of the extra year across the country returned to their same school.

I predict Loyola’s A10 trajectory will be closer to George Mason than VCU. I hope I am wrong.

48 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Davidson loses only Brakovich I believe. Not sure about Lee, but Loyer’s a JR. They’ll be tough again. Richmond and StB’s are in total rebuild mode. 

Davidson's situation is strange.  Yes Loyer is listed as a Junior on their basketball roster, but he played 3 years at Michigan State and then of course this past year.  He had one year he was injured at MSU, but played 19 games.  We know Davidson doesn't have a masters program but what if a student hasn't finished his academic coursework in order to graduate in four years?  His status will be interesting to follow.

This is Lee's third year, so he certainly can come back. Jones had a medical RS his first year, so he has been at Davidson for four years, but has played - now - only three.

For the sake of the league, I hope they all can come back.  But McKillop has that knack of bringing in an unknown who makes an immediate impact.

And all 5 of St. Bonnie's Iron Five can come back if they choose to. 

28 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Thanks for the correction.

This is Loyer’s fourth season playing basketball. Unless he did the bare minimum, he should be a senior academically. That’s the problem with Davidson and no grad program, kids can’t stay around and just add a new major. We shall see what comes out of it, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he has to go elsewhere or goes pro. 

4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Do none of the Bonnie’s return? Most if not all played just 4 years, figured they could get an extra? 

I posted two quotes above that they all have the option of returning.  None, I believe, have given any indication of their future.  SBUnfurled is a good source of Bonnie info.

23 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Davidson's situation is strange.  Yes Loyer is listed as a Junior on their basketball roster, but he played 3 years at Michigan State and then of course this past year.  He had one year he was injured at MSU, but played 19 games.  We know Davidson doesn't have a masters program but what if a student hasn't finished his academic coursework in order to graduate in four years?  His status will be interesting to follow.

This is Lee's third year, so he certainly can come back. Jones had a medical RS his first year, so he has been at Davidson for four years, but has played - now - only three.

For the sake of the league, I hope they all can come back.  But McKillop has that knack of bringing in an unknown who makes an immediate impact.

And all 5 of St. Bonnie's Iron Five can come back if they choose to. 

I would guess St B retains 2-3 of their starters. Adaway and Ossuniyi, according to most of the announcer analysts, have said they have a legit shot at the NBA. Who knows though. Does the loss to us convinces them to stay for one more shot at glory? 

55 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I would guess St B retains 2-3 of their starters. Adaway and Ossuniyi, according to most of the announcer analysts, have said they have a legit shot at the NBA. Who knows though. Does the loss to us convinces them to stay for one more shot at glory? 

I guess this is a glory vs money situation for them. An extra year will indeed bring extra glory for them but will it increase their chance to be chosen in the first NBA draft? Remember that an injury during the extra year may evaporate their NBA chances. They are going to have to make a difficult choice pretty soon.

10 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I guess this is a glory vs money situation for them. An extra year will indeed bring extra glory for them but will it increase their chance to be chosen in the first NBA draft? Remember that an injury during the extra year may evaporate their NBA chances. They are going to have to make a difficult choice pretty soon.

If you’re Bonaventure/Schmidt, you probably want guys to move on. You’re digging a massive hole in recruiting/player dev/depth if you go on your 3rd straight year with the same starting 5 that gets 98% of minutes. 

3star_recruit and Old guy like this

I like our roster for next year, especially if Perkins comes back.  However, we need a big man and a difference maker.  Not easy to come by, ford will need to work some off season magic.  And no offense to the two young pups coming in or Parker but I don’t think they will be difference makers to take us to the next level.

A10Ref likes this

9 minutes ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

I like our roster for next year, especially if Perkins comes back.  However, we need a big man and a difference maker.  Not easy to come by, ford will need to work some off season magic.  And no offense to the two young pups coming in or Parker but I don’t think they will be difference makers to take us to the next level.

Agreed on 90%, but I think Parker is a difference maker. 

AGB91 likes this

6 hours ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

But what is our roster for next year?  Given the new NCAA transfer rules almost every player is fair game to transfer, even our star starters.  Many mid-major stars left their teams last year for a chance for more exposure with a Power 5 team.

Thinking it will be mere weeks until we know who or if key players leave.  A roster for next year ...... may be in the air for months, just as it was last year .

13 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

Agreed on 90%, but I think Parker is a difference maker. 

Parker averages 22 points/6 rebounds a game, so he could be the other scorer who can take over a game besides Jimmerson (and possibly Perk if he returns). The only player averaging more boards on Moberly is Jimmy Bell, with 9 per game. They play their first game of the NJCAA tourney at 10 a.m. tomorrow vs. Pearl River, which features the nations #2 defense.