Coaching Carousel

BLIKNS

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, MUTGR said:

Hilariously smart.  The best candidate on the market. 

Back up your statement that it is smart and he was the best candidate on the market.

I was joking obviously, but wish him well.  Missouri hasn't been serious about basketball in a long time.  It would be fun to have a competitive team again. Anyway, good luck gents. I've always kind of liked Ford, maybe because we are about the same age and I recall seeing him at Fieldhouse in Columbia with a big run DMC like medalion and turtle-kneck sweater with Peeler and the boys back in the day.  Dude was a player.  And Corey Tate is the best too. 

majerus mojo likes this

3 minutes ago, MUTGR said:

I was joking obviously, but wish him well.  Missouri hasn't been serious about basketball in a long time.  It would be fun to have a competitive team again. Anyway, good luck gents. I've always kind of liked Ford, maybe because we are about the same age and I recall seeing him at Fieldhouse in Columbia with a big run DMC like medalion and turtle-kneck sweater with Peeler and the boys back in the day.  Dude was a player. 

Wasn’t obvious but I would like to know why?

They spent so much money to get rid of Martin why would they do something like that?

Maybe the coach can recruit it seems to be the biggest complaint on Tiger board.

8 minutes ago, Schasz said:

If SLU had fired Travis Ford as a long time Billiken fan I'd be super underwhelmed with that hire!

The problem is apathy has set in and it's hard to get upset anymore.  Maybe we caught lightening in a bottle but more likely he just checked some boxes and was a cheap hire. Really hope he works out. 

6 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Wasn’t obvious but I would like to know why?

They spent so much money to get rid of Martin why would they do something like that?

Maybe the coach can recruit it seems to be the biggest complaint on Tiger board.

I can't speak to the whys and hows of Mizzou and how they do things.  Even the Drink football hire was a cluster F, but maybe they got lucky in the end because he seems to be a dynamic recruiter.  I thought Ford was a good coach at OSU and the Big 12 is and was a tough league. 

BilliesBy40 likes this

7 minutes ago, MUTGR said:

I can't speak to the whys and hows of Mizzou and how they do things.  Even the Drink football hire was a cluster F, but maybe they got lucky in the end because he seems to be a dynamic recruiter.  I thought Ford was a good coach at OSU and the Big 12 is and was a tough league. 

Mizzou AD hire didn’t inspire hope either

you guys know i am not on the mi$$ouri fan club board, but i think gates is a fantastic hire for the tiger$.   the guy graduated in 3 years from cal.   got his masters  so we know he is serious academically.   he served a stint with the nba, was an assistant with ben braun at cal.   did some time with leonard hamilton at florida state.    cleveland state thinks he is the best coach they have ever had.   

i applaud mi$$ouri for not recycling some guy that has been a head coach and fired elsewhere and now expecting a huge payday.  my only question with this hire is what's his roots here in the midwest.   he'll need to find a "local" for midwest recruiting imo.   but if he finds a decent recruiter, this could be a wonderful hire for the tiger$.  

it will be interesting to see how long before he is corrupted by the surrounding "influences" of spumac.

9 hours ago, MUTGR said:

The big 12 is a great conference and it shows in the NCAA tournament this year again.  B12 > B10 in basketball.

Missouri has to be serious about basketball only because of the large amount of money that is thrown at the basketball program.

Roy is right about the new coach needing a local recruiter but stay away from Cory Tate he’s ours.

billiken_roy likes this

Gates was a long-time assistant and lead recruiter at Florida State for Leonard Hamilton, who I feel is one of finest coaches in the country. This experience as a recruiter is sorely needed at Mizzou. Travis may have some stiff recruiting competition down the road.

21 hours ago, Schasz said:

If SLU had fired Travis Ford as a long time Billiken fan I'd be super underwhelmed with that hire!

I'd rather have Ford by a bunch.  No offense to Gates.  Maybe he turns out great.  Just shows Mizzou isn't serious about basketball.