Around the A10

brianstl

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mason dropped Geedubya today.  Believe that moves Mason to 7th.  In any case, it kind of locks us into nothing lower than 6th.  Geedubya has 8 losses.  Mason will likely get an 8th loss later this week.  And even if we lose out, we’d have the head-to-head over either George.  

The George Mason win over GW resulted in those 2 flipping 7 and 8th place.  We can still finish anywhere from tied for 3rd to 7th.  GM plays only 16 games, and if they win both they finish 9-7 for a winning percentage of 0.563.  If we lose both, we finish 10-8, at 0.556.  That combo likely won't happen, but it is still there.

We win 2 and Dayton loses 2, we tie for 3rd or 4th in the league standings. Tourney seedings depend on tiebreakers.  Richmond could also wiggle in for a three way tie with the Flyers and Bills.  Tie breakers would sort this out, and those aren't settled. 

St. B will only play 17 games so there won't be any tie breakers (which we would lose) with the Bills and Bonnies.  We can't catch Davidson or VCU. But beating VCU could flip the Spider/Bills tiebreaker our way.

Key games the final week of A-10:

Tuesday; Dayton at Richmond and St. Bonaventure at VCU

Wednesday; SLU at Rhode Island and George Mason at Davidson

Friday; Richmond at St. Bonaventure

Saturday; Davidson at Dayton and VCU at SLU

The Bonabandwagon board is in the dark re Osunniyi's injury, although he is all but ruled out for tomorrow night at VCU.  His ankle was heavily wrapped in plastic with ice on Saturday, and he needed 2 man assist to help him ambulate at all.  In vintage Bona fashion, his replacement, Coulibaly, a transfer from Pitt, came off the bench and hit a huge basket at crunch time for Bona.  The Bonnies are weakened without their big eraser in the middle, but they are far from toast.

12 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

The Bonabandwagon board is in the dark re Osunniyi's injury, although he is all but ruled out for tomorrow night at VCU.  His ankle was heavily wrapped in plastic with ice on Saturday, and he needed 2 man assist to help him ambulate at all.  In vintage Bona fashion, his replacement, Coulibaly, a transfer from Pitt, came off the bench and hit a huge basket at crunch time for Bona.  The Bonnies are weakened without their big eraser in the middle, but they are far from toast.

Agreed they aren't toast, but from watching teams that have ankle issues/injuries in big men I would be surprised if he's back before 2 weeks... Without him, their big man depth is abysmal. Coulibaly is no slouch, but, as a one man show, he isn't too imposing.

1 minute ago, A10Ref said:

Agreed they aren't toast, but from watching teams that have ankle issues/injuries in big men I would be surprised if he's back before 2 weeks... Without him, their big man depth is abysmal. Coulibaly is no slouch, but, as a one man show, he isn't too imposing.

Coulibaly has also been really foul prone.  It hasn't been much of a factor because he doesn't play many minutes behind Osun.  His only DQ was the 1st game against SLU w 5 fouls in 14 mins, but he averages over 7 fouls per 40 minutes.  If they're asking him to play 30+ mins a game he's going to foul out most games.

After him, their big man depth consists of 2 freshmen who have played a combined 17 minutes this season.

I'd guess Bona will likely just play small with a lineup of Lofton, Adams, Holmes, Welch, & Adaway, than  use a big man other than Coulibaly for many minutes.

1 hour ago, A10Ref said:

The Bonabandwagon noted that when Big Bob Lanier went down 50 years ago, they all knew that night he required surgery.  

From watching Osunniyi Saturday, I don't know how he could possibly play any time soon.  We'll see.

8 minutes ago, wgstl said:

likely UD will end up the 2 or 3 seed, and bonnies the 4th. Unless Davidson loses at home to GMU it'll be: 

1)Davidson

2-3) VCU/Dayton

4) Bonnies

As SLU fans, given that's the most likely scenario, we should be on the Bona bandwaggon trying to get the A10 to reschedule the GW game. The more games Bona plays next week, the better. Would be kinda BS if they play less games than the rest.

33 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

As SLU fans, given that's the most likely scenario, we should be on the Bona bandwaggon trying to get the A10 to reschedule the GW game. The more games Bona plays next week, the better. Would be kinda BS if they play less games than the rest.

On top of that Osun got injured in the last game.  But isn't it finalized that the game will not be played?

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

On top of that Osun got injured in the last game.  But isn't it finalized that the game will not be played?

You are correct.  Commish McGlade was on the half time show with Rammer at the Richmond game.  She said that none of the lost games will be rescheduled.

Per posters on Bonnabandwagon, one poster hears Osunnyi's injury is not as bad as initially feared.  He is with the team in Richmond getting treated.  Schmidt has given the old NFL, Osynnyi's status for VCU tomorrow night is a "game time decision."  

I would be amazed if he plays tomorrow night.  He required 2 person assist on Saturday.  

The next question is if he plays Saturday, and then if he plays in the A10 Tourney next week.  Bona should not be the same team without him.  But in the "word" of the late Joaquin Andujar, "youneverknow."  

Fordham crushing Umass at Rose Hill right now.  Up 12 with 2:23 to go 79 to 67.  A win gives them 7 and 9 and if we beat Rhode Isalnd, Fordham shoudl avoid the PIG for only the 4th time in 24 years.

Big games tonight in the A10, both on CBS SN ... Dayton (+2) at Richmond at 6:30 EST and the Bonnies (+4.5) at VCU.  These are some heavyweights.

Dayton could go to 13 and 4 or 12 and 5.  Richmond could go to 11 and 6 or 10 and 7.  Te Bonnies are either 12 and 4 or 11 and 5.  And VCU is either 14 and 3 or 13 and 4.  I don't know Osunniyi status and VCU is listing Vince Williams as game time decision.  Don't know Camara's status either.

11 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I am not Taj... But you want Richmond and the Bonnie's to lose... If you need more info on how we can finish 4th...see the RI spread thread opening post. 

I have to believe the Bonnies are very vulnerable without Osunniyi.  I don't see how he could possibly play tonight absent some miracle of modern medicine. The Bonnies cannot be the same team without him.  Can they be?

So given the fates, I say we strive to get 4th, play the Bonnies in the quarterfinals in D.C. after their injury depleted team has had to play in the 5-12/13 game the day before.  But a big wild card in all of the scenarios is our Billikens themselves.  SLU has to win out, win these last 2 games.  The computer metrics say we are supposed to win both.  Just do it.

And Bona would have to lose tonight at VCU (probable) and at home Saturday vs. Richmond (less likely).  

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

I am not Taj... But you want Richmond and the Bonnie's to lose... If you need more info on how we can finish 4th...see the RI spread thread opening post. 

It’s hard to root for both Dayton and VCU, but that’s what we need to do tonight.

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

Yes, I should have figured that out but I'm already in a Mardi Gras fat stupor. Thanks, Wiz.