OT: USMNT Soccer Thread

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a double header tonight.  Have to watch the Bills live and tape the USMNT.  Honduras has been eliminated from Qatar.  3-0 good guys!

Hope is that Pulisic can get out of his funk. 

Hope McKennie continues to his stellar campaign.

Hope Pepi can re-establish he is a legit international #9.

Hope Turner gets it right on his goal kicks.

Hope Adams injury isn't too severe.  And let's get Reyna healthy.

slufanskip likes this

30 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

We have a double header tonight.  Have to watch the Bills live and tape the USMNT.  Honduras has been eliminated from Qatar.  3-0 good guys!

Hope is that Pulisic can get out of his funk. 

Hope McKennie continues to his stellar campaign.

Hope Pepi can re-establish he is a legit international #9.

Hope Turner gets it right on his goal kicks.

Hope Adams injury isn't too severe.  And let's get Reyna healthy.

Why not both!

24 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Could watch both with a split screen, but I am not sure if my TV would do that with a streaming feed plus a FS1 feed.  I sync Rammer with the Bill's TV feeds, so that would be chaos for me to try.  

I'll be streaming the Bills on ESPN+ on my AppleTV and have the US game on Fox Sports 1 on the computer. Will probably hook the computer up to a second monitor. 

10 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

From a guy that only watches the world cup/euro cup, and Billikens soccer, how backed up against the wall is the USMNT with that loss to Canada?

It depends on what happens tonight. Win against Honduras, and we are in good position to quality. Any other result will put us in a very dangerous spot. 

Mexico v. Panama is tonight at 9:00 pm. Mexico winning is probably the best outcome for us, especially if we win tonight. 

A10Ref likes this

6 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

From a guy that only watches the world cup/euro cup, and Billikens soccer, how backed up against the wall is the USMNT with that loss to Canada?

With 3 points today we should be okay. Dropping points would be a bad omen considering the next window. 

The final three matches are @ Mexico, vs. Panama, and @ Costa Rica. 4 points from this cycle would be huge but extremely difficult. Winning at Costa Rica might be more difficult than winning at Mexico. 

A10Ref likes this

13 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

Good question, and a lot of what if this or that happens left.  Top three in the Group qualify and 4th place has to play one make or break match (likely against New Zealand.)

Four matches left including tonight.  US currently in second ahead of Mexico on Goal Differential.  Panama sits in that 4th spot.  Costa Rico is in 5th, but has an uphill battle to get 4th.  Group standings don't matter for the WQ in Qatar.  You just need to get there. 

AFTER the US wins tonight, we probably only need a W against Panama in March to limp in.  BUT if Panama defeats Mexico tonight it gets dicey.  Only Honduras is eliminated, but El Salvador might as try to return their plane tickets to Qatar, as they aren't going to qualify.  Canada would have to absolutely fall apart not to qualify.

Probably too much information here.  The answer to your question is "we're cool."

A10Ref likes this

18 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/what-results-do-usmnt-need-to-qualify-for-world-cup-2022/blt89a9a88b14940c4b

Seven points out of next four games and we auto qualify. No playoff necessary

A10Ref likes this

Yes it was Honduras.  Yes it was in brutally cold conditions.  But three points is three points.  3-0, I'll take it.  Recorded the game and flipped it on immediately after Coach Ford's interview on KMOX.

McKennie and Acosta were the best Americans on the pitch.  McKennie just may be the best US player, Captain America.  Acosta provided the service that was missing in the match with Canada and directly lead to all three goals.  The defense wasn't tested (Turner's biggest challenge was to keep warm), but Zimmerman was a stud on set pieces.  It was good to see Pulisic put a gimme into the net.  I believe Zimmerman got an "assist" on that score, but really he was just 'there'.

#9 Striker  is still up for grabs.  No player in this window made a statement saying the job is mine.  This really needs to be solved in the last window.

BilliesBy40 and slufanskip like this

4 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Yes it was Honduras.  Yes it was in brutally cold conditions.  But three points is three points.  3-0, I'll take it.  Recorded the game and flipped it on immediately after Coach Ford's interview on KMOX.

McKennie and Acosta were the best Americans on the pitch.  McKennie just may be the best US player, Captain America.  Acosta provided the service that was missing in the match with Canada and directly lead to all three goals.  The defense wasn't tested (Turner's biggest challenge was to keep warm), but Zimmerman was a stud on set pieces.  It was good to see Pulisic put a gimme into the net.  I believe Zimmerman got an "assist" on that score, but really he was just 'there'.

#9 Striker  is still up for grabs.  No player in this window made a statement saying the job is mine.  This really needs to be solved in the last window.

Like you said, the quality of opponent wasn't good but a 3-0 win is what you're supposed to do against teams like that. I was encouraged in general but you are right, the #9 spot has to be filled or else it'll be a short time in Qatar

23 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Toques Aren't allowed on the Pitch I assume. damn it looked nippy.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

A lot of whining going on about the venue and the cold. Pure stupidity. We go to those countries they play the games at times that favor them in conditions that favor them, they allow fans to harass our players in their hotels all night, they allow fans to throw bottles at our players. I’m 100% good with the decision. 

Agree McKennie is our best player and honestly as good as he’s been I’m not sure it matters what form Pulisic is in. Not a knock on Christian just not sure his best is better than McKennie’s best. 

Agree on the 9. I’m generally not a fan of Acosta but he was good last night and not just on set piece service

HoosierPal likes this

3 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

The hard reality is that we do not have anyone in the current player pool to take hold of the 9 spot if Pepi doesn't do so.

I would like to see Sargent called in for the next window. 

Let's solve this for Coach B.  First problem is that we need a minimum of 3 points, but 4 would be better.  I'm calling in Sargent (19 caps/5 goals), Pefok (8/1), Dike (8/3) and Hoppe (6/1) for the March window.  I've got Pepi, Zardes and Ferreria on the roster.   These three only get into a match is the situation dictates they are needed (for US survival).

First game is at Azteca.  Yikes.  Maybe Sargent since he has the most experienced of my 4.  Then home against Panama, probably a must win.  I'm going with Dike, with Sargent ready to sub.  If Costa Rico is a must win or watch the WQ on TV, I draw straws with all 7.  If is meaningless, I go with Pefok or Hoppe, or give them both 45 minutes.

Of course, who is playing well in March doesn't mean they will be playing well in November. 

29 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

A lot of whining going on about the venue and the cold. Pure stupidity. We go to those countries they play the games at times that favor them in conditions that favor them, they allow fans to harass our players in their hotels all night, they allow fans to throw bottles at our players. I’m 100% good with the decision. 

Agree McKennie is our best player and honestly as good as he’s been I’m not sure it matters what form Pulisic is in. Not a knock on Christian just not sure his best is better than McKennie’s best. 

Agree on the 9. I’m generally not a fan of Acosta but he was good last night and not just on set piece service

I trust your judgment but I am not sold on McKennie yet.  Yes, he's good.  Yes that was a great header yesterday and he was robbed of another one against Canada.  But, there is something about his presence on the field that speaks to his youth still (bit too casual maybe?) and I don't see leadership quality we need from him for this young batch of talent.  Still waiting for the Dempsey, Bocanegra or Bradley-like leadership within this group.  Maybe it just speaks to the youth overall and it just takes time, going through a process like WC qualifying, and simply working for each other on the pitch for all that to come out.  Hopefully this journey helps bring it all together for them.

Not looking to start a "But did you see when McKennie" argument here.  Just an observation/opinion.

15 minutes ago, SLUBALLS said:

I trust your judgment but I am not sold on McKennie yet.  Yes, he's good.  Yes that was a great header yesterday and he was robbed of another one against Canada.  But, there is something about his presence on the field that speaks to his youth still (bit too casual maybe?) and I don't see leadership quality we need from him for this young batch of talent.  Still waiting for the Dempsey, Bocanegra or Bradley-like leadership within this group.  Maybe it just speaks to the youth overall and it just takes time, going through a process like WC qualifying, and simply working for each other on the pitch for all that to come out.  Hopefully this journey helps bring it all together for them.

Not looking to start a "But did you see when McKennie" argument here.  Just an observation/opinion.

I am not sure exactly what your argument is, but McKennie turned 23 in August, so he is definitely still young

4 minutes ago, SLUBALLS said:

And I agree with that observation. For example McKennie gets himself a 2nd yellow for getting involved in a scuffle that he had no business being a part of earlier in WCQ and has to sit an important game. I’m just talking skill on the field as honestly, like you said, I don’t think those real mature leaders have evolved yet. I think they will, like you said, we are just so so young

MLS Soccer.com depth chart following the window.  Here was their comment on Striker: 

Let's just lump them all together here. The last time a true center forward has scored for the USMNT was against Jamaica at the beginning of October. That was eight qualifying games ago.

Ricardo Pepi, Jesus Ferreira and Gyasi Zardes each started one game this window. None of them impressed, though service wasn't exactly plentiful for any of them.

USMNT post winter depth chart

Azteca right now is not the same.  They aren't allowing fans.  So it's not the same the Panama game was dead.  Mexico had chances and couldn't convert, only scored on a PK dumb foul by Panamanian player to kick while he was on the ground in the penalty area.

As for McKennie, I like the fight he has.  We need some of that toughness he brings.  The view that he's being casual, I think is derived in that he's just one of those guys that makes it look easy.  He is into it as evidenced by his fire.

38 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Azteca right now is not the same.  They aren't allowing fans.  So it's not the same the Panama game was dead.  Mexico had chances and couldn't convert, only scored on a PK dumb foul by Panamanian player to kick while he was on the ground in the penalty area.

As for McKennie, I like the fight he has.  We need some of that toughness he brings.  The view that he's being casual, I think is derived in that he's just one of those guys that makes it look easy.  He is into it as evidenced by his fire.

I like his fight also. I don't feel he's to casual. He just needs to be smart. You can't get a 2nd yellow for an off the ball, non foul altercation.