Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Somebody suggested we make an OT thread for the USMNT’s busy year, I figured tonight’s Nation’s League Final against  Mexico would be the perfect time to do just that. If you’re watching tonight, or during any future games, post here. Let’s go. USA! USA!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

Somebody suggested we make an OT thread for the USMNT’s busy year, I figured tonight’s Nation’s League Final against  Mexico would be the perfect time to do just that. If you’re watching tonight, or during any future games, post here. Let’s go. USA! USA!

Former Billiken Tim Ream is starting tonight! Let’s go!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mexico almost goes up 2-0 but we get bailed out by VAR. it’s ruled offsides and 18 wunderkind Gio Reyna ties it up on a rebound off the post! I’m just talking to myself here, but I don’t care! USA!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Reinert310 said:

1-1 at halftime. Could’ve been much much worse. 

Yes. Fortunate score at half. Tactical disaster so far. The D has looked worse than it did on paper. We saw some individual quality from Pulisic and Reyna...need more of that, and more wins in the midfield, to win this one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Yes. Fortunate score at half. Tactical disaster so far. The D has looked worse than it did on paper. We saw some individual quality from Pulisic and Reyna...need more of that, and more wins in the midfield, to win this one.

Absolutely. The defense has been atrocious. When we’ve gotten forward, we’ve looked dangerously, but Mark McKenzie should not be on the field in the 2nd half. Ream probably shouldn’t either. But the longer we stay tied, the more I like our chances.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m at halftime. The US has the same problem on the back line they’ve had for years. Literally no awareness of what’s going on around them. There isn’t a cross that comes in the box, and that’s not an exaggeration, there is literally not a cross that comes in the box that the US doesn’t have at least 1 defender out of position. There was one with 1 Mexican player in the box 8 yards out, 4 US defenders and no one within 3 yards of him. Hell, I could get open in the box against the US.

Sorry but Tim Reams time has been done for awhile. I loved watching him at SLU and He’s had a nice career but he has no business at this level anymore. 
 

We are starting Acosta? I’m confused. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I’m at halftime. The US has the same problem on the back line they’ve had for years. Literally no awareness of what’s going on around them. There isn’t a cross that comes in the box, and that’s not an exaggeration, there is literally not a cross that comes in the box that the US doesn’t have at least 1 defender out of position. There was one with 1 Mexican player in the box 8 yards out, 4 US defenders and no one within 3 yards of him. Hell, I could get open in the box against the US.

Sorry but Tim Reams time has been done for awhile. I loved watching him at SLU and He’s had a nice career but he has no business at this level anymore. 
 

We are starting Acosta? I’m confused. 

The 2nd half is much much cleaner. Other than another Tim Ream lapse, the 2nd half has been much much better.

Link to post
Share on other sites

More to come later as it’s late but how in the world was there any question about that being a foul. And I’d feel the same either way. The announcers keep talking about whether he got the ball first or not. It’s irrelevant, touching the ball first doesn’t give you the right to take a guy out of the play. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

I can’t even begin to describe how insane this game was. USA wins 3-2 in overtime. Unbelievable. Watching the highlights probably won’t even do it justice. Holy crap what a game.

It was crazy and fans everywhere seem to be out of control.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never been so upset but so happy that I stayed up for the ending of that game. Ethan Horvath, my goodness.

I was thinking about the issue with the Mexican chant that paused the match. I appreciate what CONCACAF is trying to do in getting rid of the chant but it feels like you're giving the fans way too much control. The announcers may have needed to clarify further but the way they explained it, after Pulisic scored that penalty could the Mexican fans not just continue to yell that slur and get the game abandoned and replayed the next day?

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I've never been so upset but so happy that I stayed up for the ending of that game. Ethan Horvath, my goodness.

I was thinking about the issue with the Mexican chant that paused the match. I appreciate what CONCACAF is trying to do in getting rid of the chant but it feels like you're giving the fans way too much control. The announcers may have needed to clarify further but the way they explained it, after Pulisic scored that penalty could the Mexican fans not just continue to yell that slur and get the game abandoned and replayed the next day?

The more you acknowledge the more power you give it. Like most things the solution is simple, you just need the balls to do it. As soon as you hear it position people with cameras and Mics at the front of the sections with cops and then start throwing people out. Same with throwing on the field and at players. Well actually my solution for that is a bit different

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just some random thoughts

I don't think I've ever watched a US vs Mexico game and felt the 3 best players on the field all belong to the US

I still don't understand not getting Musah in the game. There absolutely must be something we don't know. 

The US defense has to be better. Not just the 1st half of this game. It's the norm. We continually don't seem to know who to mark leaving people wide open in the box. I compare it to a basketball rebounder who's 1st instinct is to look at the shot. You're constantly going to get beat for position. The same thing happens to the US defense, over and over again. Far too many turnovers playing the ball out of the back leading to 1v1 or easy chances. It's nice to have a keep that can make the big save when needed, but it can't be needed so often if you want to consistently win. 

Ethan Horvath. No lie after the last game I told my brother I'm not sure on Zack Steffen as the #1 and now I'm less sure. I need to see Horvath more. 

I hope the US fans had no part of throwing things on the field. I guess we now have a world where destruction is considered a peaceful way to express your displeasure with something. Cops should be in the stands with free reign to beat anyone throwing something on the field into oblivion. The fact that they do it pisses me off, the fact that they are allowed pisses me off more. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also the 2 handballs in the box, 1 in each game. WTF ... why shoot the ball at goal? Just shoot it at a defenders arms. Both those plays the defenders arms were in a natural position and the ball was played directly at the arm with no time to react. Again I'd feel the same if it was an opponent. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Just some random thoughts

I don't think I've ever watched a US vs Mexico game and felt the 3 best players on the field all belong to the US

I still don't understand not getting Musah in the game. There absolutely must be something we don't know. 

The US defense has to be better. Not just the 1st half of this game. It's the norm. We continually don't seem to know who to mark leaving people wide open in the box. I compare it to a basketball rebounder who's 1st instinct is to look at the shot. You're constantly going to get beat for position. The same thing happens to the US defense, over and over again. Far too many turnovers playing the ball out of the back leading to 1v1 or easy chances. It's nice to have a keep that can make the big save when needed, but it can't be needed so often if you want to consistently win. 

Ethan Horvath. No lie after the last game I told my brother I'm not sure on Zack Steffen as the #1 and now I'm less sure. I need to see Horvath more. 

I hope the US fans had no part of throwing things on the field. I guess we now have a world where destruction is considered a peaceful way to express your displeasure with something. Cops should be in the stands with free reign to beat anyone throwing something on the field into oblivion. The fact that they do it pisses me off, the fact that they are allowed pisses me off more. 

 

ALso can someone who follows European soccer more than I do give a synopsis of the quality of the league Horvath is playing in and how he's doing? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

I've never been so upset but so happy that I stayed up for the ending of that game. Ethan Horvath, my goodness.

I was thinking about the issue with the Mexican chant that paused the match. I appreciate what CONCACAF is trying to do in getting rid of the chant but it feels like you're giving the fans way too much control. The announcers may have needed to clarify further but the way they explained it, after Pulisic scored that penalty could the Mexican fans not just continue to yell that slur and get the game abandoned and replayed the next day?

The protocol stems from FIFA's three-step protocol, which actually calls for the responsible fan base/team to forfeit the match if it is abandoned. Steps 1 and 2 can also be repeated, so escalation to step 3 isn't automatic. 

Last night, the announcer mentioned the game would be resumed the next day if abandoned. I am not sure how accurate that was, if at all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

The more you acknowledge the more power you give it. Like most things the solution is simple, you just need the balls to do it. As soon as you hear it position people with cameras and Mics at the front of the sections with cops and then start throwing people out. Same with throwing on the field and at players. Well actually my solution for that is a bit different

Supposedly that is already occurring. They claim fans who are kicked out are shown on the jumbotron when it occurs. This has been a longstanding issue for Mexico, and their soccer federation is finally taking it seriously.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

ALso can someone who follows European soccer more than I do give a synopsis of the quality of the league Horvath is playing in and how he's doing? 

I looked it up. He doesn't start for a top team in a decent but not great league. The top 2 US goalkeepers don't start for the respective club teams. Wow. 

 

2 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Supposedly that is already occurring. They claim fans who are kicked out are shown on the jumbotron when it occurs. This has been a longstanding issue for Mexico, and their soccer federation is finally taking it seriously.

Maybe, but that doesn't help us. If it's been a problem, we should have been prepared to start evicting them in bunches. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...