Path to NCAA Tourney

Crewsorlose

2 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Hey Jerry Palm, what's better:

a) Losing 3 times to the same team, with a NET of 98, or

b) Splitting 2 games with the regular season conference champ with a NET of 27?

I'll take your answer off the air.

I assume that their home loss to Fresno is worse than our road loss at LaSalle.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it isn’t just Palm and Joey.

http://www.bracketmatrix.com

now we can either play a game and earn our way in or people can whine about how mean the committee was to SLU come Sunday.  We haven’t done enough to have a spot locked up at this point.  If we don’t get another game, we only have ourselves to blame come Sunday if we come up empty.

Just now, brianstl said:

now we can either play a game and earn our way in or people can whine about how mean the committee was to SLU come Sunday.  We haven’t done enough to have a spot locked up at this point.  If we don’t get another game, we only have ourselves to blame come Sunday if we come up empty.

The bracket matrix won’t be updated with Xavier’s loss til tonight and any MWC chaos til tomorrow night. 

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

You are on fire tonight. 

I think we are stuck in place.
Our fate is out of our hands.

I understand and appreciate all the arguments and positions that are contra to mine.  In fact, I welcome reading them.  We are Billikens.  We are unique, we are outstanding, and we are intelligent.

I think the risks outweigh the benefits of playing this extra game, on short notice, on the road, which is where it will have to be.  If we could get away with playing this extra game at home, then my position probably would be different, depending upon the opponent.  But a home court game is not going to move the needle, is it?  What is held against SLU is the lack of road wins.  But a lot of these bid competitors are eliminating themselves (hopefully) by losing.  Why?  Because they were never that good at the outset of this prelude to March Madness.

I can't fathom this SLU team flying 3+ hours to Boise, Idaho, on short notice, at this point.

1 minute ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

I think we are stuck in place.
Our fate is out of our hands.

I understand and appreciate all the arguments and positions that are contra to mine.  In fact, I welcome reading them.  We are Billikens.  We are unique, we are outstanding, and we are intelligent.

I think the risks outweigh the benefits of playing this extra game, on short notice, on the road, which is where it will have to be.  If we could get away with playing this extra game at home, then my position probably would be different, depending upon the opponent.  But a home court game is not going to move the needle, is it?  What is held against SLU is the lack of road wins.  But a lot of these bid competitors are eliminating themselves (hopefully) by losing.  Why?  Because they were never that good at the outset of this prelude to March Madness.

If the Bills aren’t “in”, is there a risk?

BigMouthBilliken likes this

Just now, Bay Area Billiken said:

We don't know where we really stand. 

The bracketologists have their own agendas.  They are the ones condemning us.  The NET says otherwise.

You may well be right...I’d love to see a game, but our basketball people are a hell of a lot smarter than I am.

1 minute ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

We don't know where we really stand. 

The bracketologists have their own agendas.  They are the ones condemning us.  The NET says otherwise.

Everyone assumes that the Committee will use their normal process for selecting teams.  No bracketologist and no basketball fan has any indication as to how the Committee will look at this year.  All these bracket guys ALWAYS change their brackets at the last moment before the NCAA announces the true bracket so that they can say, Ha, I was 100% correct.  

NH and JettFlight5 like this

10 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I don’t believe a single team actually has intentions of playing another game. There hasn’t been one extra game scheduled. It’s all posturing.

Now if X or someone comes out and says, “Hey we wanted to get something done with SLU and they passed” then yea, that’s an L 

1 minute ago, BigMouthBilliken said:

Need to play a game. No excuses. You either sit on your hands and have zero control of the outcome or you play a game, win or lose, and control your own fate. Simple as that

That brings up another issue.  Would playing and winning this extra game make one iota of real difference?  What type of precedent would that set with the Committee if it did?

I hearken back to St. Mary's, a stone's throw away in Moraga from the desk in which I am typing.  St. Mary's tried this extra game route at least twice, and it got the Gaels nowhere, other than hosting an NIT first round game it would have been hosting irrespective.  Now granted the competition from the Big Sky Conference was hardly a powerhouse.  That does make the SLU situation different.  But does it, really?

Playing this extra game is unorthodox, outside the box.  I'm ok with outside the box stuff.  I'm just afraid SLU could be sealing its own fate, making its increasingly decent situation worse, eliminating itself.  

You know if I knew the 7-1, nationally ranked pre-Covid Quarantine Billikens were going to show up, then I'm all hands on deck with the rest of you guys.  But none of us know that.

6 minutes ago, JettFlight5 said:

If the Bills aren’t “in”, is there a risk?

We have no clue if their in or not. If we did that would solve this thread. 

no one knows. 

Just now, majerus mojo said:

I don’t believe a single team actually has intentions of playing another game. There hasn’t been one extra game scheduled. It’s all posturing.

Now if X or someone comes out and says, “Hey we wanted to get something done with SLU and they passed” then yea, that’s an L 

It is all posturing and if they do that it’s a PR move. 

3 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

We've gotta watch, and counter, if necessary, X.  X is good at playing the PR game.

2 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

I think you're on to something.

9 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

Yeah, I had the thought that all this is a marketing bonanza.  Look how it's got all of us watching far away scores, studying suspect teams we would not give a rat's you know what about otherwise.  

It had me watching that Butler vs. Xavier, at one time abomination, yesterday, two lousy teams, both yesterday's news, duking it out.  

That's why my proposal to eliminate the NIT and include the NIT field into the NCAA will never happen.  We wouldn't be giving a second thought about the Mountain West Conference Quarterfinals today, including me out here 1,732 air miles away from STL on the Far Left Coast.