Path to NCAA Tourney

Crewsorlose

12 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

This may be another reason they chose not to play the extra game. Lowered the risk of someone testing positive and missing out on the post-season completely.

That isn't a risk for SLU. Even if someone tested positive today on the Billikens, the 11 guys that had it in January would be eligible to play in the NCAA tourney because they are within the 3 month legal immunity window. 

JettFlight5 likes this

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Something appears to be going on at the ACC tournament. If I'm them, I seriously consider shutting it down

They may well shut down the tourney, but given it generally takes a few days from exposure to the virus until it shows up as a positive on tests, it seems more likely to be a coincidence related to daily testing than something where the virus is actively being spread at the tournament site.

Who know how this will shake out, but my guess is Virginia will still be able to play in the dance. If they test the remaining players for the next 7 days and they are negative they'll be following CDC guidance that if you test 7 days after exposure and are negative you don't need to quarantine any longer. Tournament could start Saturday for them and last exposure to the infected player was likely yesterday (or maybe this AM) so that is either 8 or 9 days.

Let me get this straight kshoe, you say that immunity is determined by law (or regulations)? Medical diagnosis/status based upon regs? This is, as I hope you realize, pure crap. Health cannot be regulated, it just happens, and every individual reacts in their own way to an infection or a vaccine. Whether the regs allow the  Bills to play or not has nothing to do with whether they get sick, or are immune (and for how long) or not.

4 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Let me get this straight kshoe, you say that immunity is determined by law (or regulations)? Medical diagnosis/status based upon regs? This is, as I hope you realize, pure crap. Health cannot be regulated, it just happens, and every individual reacts in their own way to an infection or a vaccine. Whether the regs allow the  Bills to play or not has nothing to do with whether they get sick, or are immune (and for how long) or not.

I'm telling you it is a fact that any person in this country that gets COVID does not need to quarantine or test for COVID for the next 3 months after they get it unless they display symptoms. Contact tracing does not apply. For all practical purposes they are legally viewed as immune to the disease for those 3 months.

25 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

This may be another reason they chose not to play the extra game. Lowered the risk of someone testing positive and missing out on the post-season completely.

SLU could have someone test positive and it wouldn’t impact them.  We have enough players and staff in the 3 month clear window from already testing positive.  We are good to go for the postseason COVID wise.

3 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Memo to the NCAA:  Pick SLU. The Billikens are legally and medically cleared, good to go.

chubby face Joe and others don't take this into account.  The committee will, even if just a little. 

16 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

https://twitter.com/danaoneilwriter/status/1370381453121486849?s=12

Shouldn’t this protocol eliminate Virginia from the NCAA? 

While it’s been a tough year otherwise for Thomas Jefferson, does he still have some sway with the NCAA?

It only potentially eliminates that one player. 8 of their 13 players could test positive and the team would still be eligible to play in the NCAA tournament 

1 minute ago, slufan13 said:

It only potentially eliminates that one player. 8 of their 13 players could test positive and the team would still be eligible to play in the NCAA tournament 

True, but how likely will it just be one player? Time will tell, I guess.. 

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

True, but how likely will it just be one player? Time will tell, I guess.. 

I doubt it will end up being one player but it also seems like full-team outbreaks like SLU had are not the norm. I guess we also don't know how many players on Virginia, if any, are in the 90 day window where they don't have to be tested. 

I'm not getting my hopes up that this will keep Virginia from playing. My fear is that even if Virginia would have a team-wide outbreak, those positive tests wouldn't come back until after the Tuesday deadline meaning the NCAA won't replace them in the NCAAT 

24 minutes ago, Old guy said:

21 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I'm telling you it is a fact that any person in this country that gets COVID does not need to quarantine or test for COVID for the next 3 months after they get it unless they display symptoms. Contact tracing does not apply. For all practical purposes they are legally viewed as immune to the disease for those 3 months.

This is the current CDC guidance.  I underline current, as CDC seems to be putting out new guidance weekly.  What I don't know is what the NCAA and Marion County (Indy) rules are for the tourney.

We do know that the NCAA has said you only need 5 players to start a game.  (Now could a team like VA, go back home and pick up a new walk-on to make 5 if that is an issue?)

I am actually pretty surprised that no team opted out of their conference tournaments especially teams that were locks for the NCAAT. As some people have said on Twitter, there is a chance that this semi-bubble in Indy could become a super spreader event. All thanks to the ACC

3 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I doubt it will end up being one player but it also seems like full-team outbreaks like SLU had are not the norm. I guess we also don't know how many players on Virginia, if any, are in the 90 day window where they don't have to be tested. 

I'm not getting my hopes up that this will keep Virginia from playing. My fear is that even if Virginia would have a team-wide outbreak, those positive tests wouldn't come back until after the Tuesday deadline meaning the NCAA won't replace them in the NCAAT 

What’s the difference between UVA and Duke?

I was not convinced Duke was OUT until I read its AD & Coach K’s pronouncements.

Just now, Bay Area Billiken said:

What’s the difference between UVA and Duke?

I was not convinced Duke was OUT until I read its AD & Coach K’s pronouncements.

The difference is Duke knew they weren't getting in and now this can be the technical excuse for why they didn't make it. The Duke women also shut down their season in December. Duke is just taking this more seriously than anyone else

Root for Colorado State over Utah State?  Seems Colorado State has been IN , and that could Elizabeth Utah State?

20 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I am actually pretty surprised that no team opted out of their conference tournaments especially teams that were locks for the NCAAT. As some people have said on Twitter, there is a chance that this semi-bubble in Indy could become a super spreader event. All thanks to the ACC

Conferences weren't going to allow it.