Around the A10 20-21 season

brianstl

16 minutes ago, Pistol said:

GW missed its games on 1/20 and 1/27, and their 1/30 game against Fordham is already cancelled. I would think our game against them on the 6th is going to be their return. They were the only other team with an open week the same time as us, and they're not a home-and-home opponent.

That leaves Fordham available this weekend but their game against UMass on the 3rd still hasn't been cancelled, though it might be. They're a one-time opponent we haven't gotten to in the schedule yet, so I don't see the point of going for them and taking a NET hit, anyway.

La Salle plays on the 30th, 3rd, and 6th, so they're not freed up at all. Like Fordham, they're also a one-time opponent later in the schedule and offer no NET boost.

Bonaventure plays on the 30th and the 3rd.

On the 2nd, GMU plays at Richmond and Dayton goes to Duquesne. On the 3rd, the other 8 teams play (GW and SLU being unscheduled).

So I still don't see a game for us in the open week. The one other team that was unscheduled is sitting out until we play them. Unless another team shuts down suddenly and leaves someone else we postponed without an opponent, I don't see it happening.

EDIT: Forgot about UMass. Doesn't really change my point, though. Fordham being freed up doesn't do anything for us.

I'm glad I'm not in charge of scheduling.

The A10 website shows LaSalle doesn't play on the 3rd.  Their website also shows games on the at VCU 30th and then the at St.Joe's 6th.  Who knows if any of these websites are keeping up. 

I agree that Fordham 'doesn't do anything for us' except get us closer to the 13 game minimum.  We play them on Feb 13, so move that date up a week and see how you can backfill on the 13th.  We have to play a game that first week of Feb if we want to get close to 14, 16 games played.  Reminds me of summer playground rules.....who's next?

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, Pistol said:

GW missed its games on 1/20 and 1/27, and their 1/30 game against Fordham is already cancelled. I would think our game against them on the 6th is going to be their return. They were the only other team with an open week the same time as us, and they're not a home-and-home opponent.

That leaves Fordham available this weekend but their game against UMass on the 3rd still hasn't been cancelled, though it might be. They're a one-time opponent we haven't gotten to in the schedule yet, so I don't see the point of going for them and taking a NET hit, anyway.

La Salle plays on the 30th, 3rd, and 6th, so they're not freed up at all. Like Fordham, they're also a one-time opponent later in the schedule and offer no NET boost.

Bonaventure plays on the 30th and the 3rd.

On the 2nd, GMU plays at Richmond and Dayton goes to Duquesne. On the 3rd, the other 8 teams play (GW and SLU being unscheduled).

So I still don't see a game for us in the open week. The one other team that was unscheduled is sitting out until we play them. Unless another team shuts down suddenly and leaves someone else we postponed without an opponent, I don't see it happening.

EDIT: Forgot about UMass. Doesn't really change my point, though. Fordham being freed up doesn't do anything for us.

-you are seeing more importance to one-time or home and home opponent than I am as my take is the A10 has to deliver games to their conf schools and media partners so if two teams can make a game I think the game will be made 

-are we limited to playing an A10 team in this open week? I hope not as if the A10 can't deliver a game, or two, I hope we find worthy game(s) elsewhere

4 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Having two arenas makes some sense. For now, all 14 school invited.

I'm hoping they aren't allowing fans.  It would be very unfair to let these be home games for VCU and Richmond during a situation that doesn't really permit other teams fans to travel there.

27 minutes ago, lquarles said:

From the 12:44 mark to the 6:06 mark you had 4 made FGs.

It was actually until 6:02 that we scored again. We were 4/7 from the field during that time period and scored 12 points including the basket at 6:02 which is on pace for 36 in a half. Sure seems like cold shooting to me. 

40 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

The A10 website shows LaSalle doesn't play on the 3rd.  Their website also shows games on the at VCU 30th and then the at St.Joe's 6th.  Who knows if any of these websites are keeping up. 

ESPN isn't keeping up as it lists Davidson/La Salle on February 3rd, but it looks like that game was changed and actually played on Saturday, January 16th (Davidson won at La Salle 77-53). Davidson shows their game on Saturday against St. Bonaventure as being postponed (and it looks like Davidson announced that they were suspending all activity yesterday after a positive test within the program) with the week off and playing at Fordham on February 6th, so add La Salle to the programs that are free next week and I assume Davidson would still be out despite their schedule being open. Is there anywhere keeping track of all of this stuff or is that on you and Pistol haha?!?!

Unfortunately, I'm relying on websites to be current but we're already seeing that ESPN, the A10, and the schools are contradicting one another and it's hard to tell which are the freshest.

So I think @HoosierPalwas right, that both Fordham and La Salle are free on the 3rd now due to the shutdowns at Davidson and UMass. Again, neither are exactly enticing to us and we haven't postponed games against either. La Salle and Fordham already played each other once and meet again at the end of the regular season, so I don't know what a head-to-head does between them, either.

33 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-you are seeing more importance to one-time or home and home opponent than I am as my take is the A10 has to deliver games to their conf schools and media partners so if two teams can make a game I think the game will be made 

-are we limited to playing an A10 team in this open week? I hope not as if the A10 can't deliver a game, or two, I hope we find worthy game(s) elsewhere

Given a choice between Fordham (323) and La Salle (188) - the only two choices currently - I would take La Salle. I actually like the idea of a nonconference game over either of them, though. But at this point I think we just take the week of rest.

33 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I'm hoping they aren't allowing fans.  It would be very unfair to let these be home games for VCU and Richmond during a situation that doesn't really permit other teams fans to travel there.

Agreed. I'm sure this has been considered. I also see no reason to do anything but keep it safe, fair, and simple.

47 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Virginia has a restriction to like 250 people 

24 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Given a choice between Fordham (323) and La Salle (188) - the only two choices currently - I would take La Salle. I actually like the idea of a nonconference game over either of them, though. But at this point I think we just take the week of rest.

-I get that playing low ranked teams negatively impacts our NET but for our guys I think playing games is more important

1 minute ago, Cowboy said:

-I get that playing low ranked teams negatively impacts our NET but for our guys I think playing games is more important

With a win against Dayton Id have agreed. 

1 hour ago, An A-10 fan said:

????    

I only know one Duquesne grad - he's a smart guy, lives in STL, I don't hold it against him that he went to a low major school. He's a big sports fan - and doesn't care about the Dukes.

I'm glad y'all spent the money on the new arena to enter the top 12 in facilities in the league. Maybe people will care about the team if Lebron's guy doesn't run them off like he did your best player in the last 15 years

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

Here is what is crazy.  A win against Dayton NET 93, would have been a Q3 win but it is now a Q3 loss.  We go to LaSalle NET 188 and win that is a Q3 win.  So on the NET quad system, the games are equal.

21 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I was looking at who is in the MAAC.  On the MAAC's website, it lists "Members" and "Associate Members."  One of the Associate Members listed is La Salle.  Does anyone know why?  I have to assume it's for a specific sport that the A-10 doesn't have.

Edit: St. Bonaventure is also an Associate Member of the MAAC.

1 minute ago, cgeldmacher said:

I was looking at who is in the MAAC.  On the MAAC's website, it lists "Members" and "Associate Members."  One of the Associate Members listed is La Salle.  Does anyone know why?  I have to assume it's for a specific sport that the A-10 doesn't have.

Edit: St. Bonaventure is also an Associate Member of the MAAC.

Men's lacrosse for Bona, women's golf for La Salle and Dayton, women's water polo for La Salle.