Around the A10 20-21 season

brianstl

48 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I don't know. I'm pretty sure we cut it so we could replace it with track and field.

that is true.   i always assumed (this is roy conjecture not fact from an inside source) because the assumption was that slu already having cross country that their entire cross country team would also be on the track team and they really were funding only six sports for scholarships then.   the golf team guys wouldnt be on any other sports roster likely.  but to remain D1 the men must have 7 sports they are actively participating in.

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Pistol said:

Duquesne's newly renovated arena opens tonight vs. Dayton and it looks really nice (see whole thread in the first one):

At least you can tell Duq is one of the low-tier conference teams that is actually making an effort. Polar opposite from LaSalle and Fordham 

9 hours ago, Pistol said:

Duquesne's newly renovated arena opens tonight vs. Dayton and it looks really nice (see whole thread in the first one):

At least from the video, I couldn't spy even a HINT of ductwork. Well done, Dukes! Well done!

JettFlight5 and An A-10 fan like this

12 hours ago, wgstl said:

It’s shiny, but this looks like a really nice - low major arena. 

I don't know.  I think smaller is going to become the wave of the future in sports venues, with more people choosing to watch games at home.  In all honesty watching at home is the better way to watch the product from the just viewing the game part.  You need to have venues that create an atmosphere that makes attending the game feel special and some what intimate, while maintaining a supply and demand balance to drive revenue.

Pistol and TheChosenOne like this

Watched last night from the newly remodeled Palumbo Duct Center aka Cooper Fieldhouse.  Nice remodle but yes, it shows Duquesne as a lo mid-major program.  At least they have a home now.  Almost 650 days since they played a home game on Duquesne campus.

To the game ..... look, Dayton sucks.  Why we can't match up with them i don't know.  Granted, on a scale od 1 to 10 Crutcher is a 10 but the rest are not good ball players.  Ibi Watson is maybe a 4 or a 5 and was much better as a sixth man who only had catch-and-shoot responsibilities.  Chatman's injury hurts their defense but he adds little to nothing offensively.  Weaver was completely out of control, getting three offensive fouls (one waived off due to shot clock violation) on three consecutive trips down the floor.  Tishy scored UD's first  three points, had teo fouls at he four minute mark, came back in and automatically got his third, started the second half and got his fourth, and ended with three points.  Amzil had a double-double with 11/11 but it was all late when Dayton was chucking and ducking to get back in.  Duquesne, which was up by 22 at one point, hung on but made it close by missing free throws down the closing stretch.  

Michael Hughes is not that good but also recorded a double double 13/14 and we finally saw the real marcus Weathers who scored 20 coming into shape.  Tishymanga played 9 minutes and when he was gone, Hughes and Weathers schooled Dayton's inept freshmen replacements.  

Dayton did indeed shoot 8 of 35 from deep.  Duquesne ran Hughes and Weathers at Crutcher all night once he crossed into the front court, forcing him to give the ball up  and rely on his teammates.  As noted, Watson is a catch and shoot guy, not a dribble drive.  he was neutralized.  Weaver is out of control and the rest are just weak.  RJ Blakeney had a nice stats game but that only improved because he made two threes late.  During the game, he, Amzil and Nwokeji were non-factors on the offensive end.  And, as noted, all got schooled on the offensive end.  Crutcher had 28 of Dayton's 64.  Mike Bekelja and Toby Okani did nice jobs deny Crutcher the ball once he gave it up but the kid is a 10 ans scored when he had it.  Watson went 0-for-10 from three.  Crutcher was 3 of 11.  The key is forcing the others to beat you on Dayton.  Crutcher will get his.

-perhaps it was just me as no other mentions but I thought the playing area at Duq needed more light

-I remember last season being seething mad when Yuri got a 10 second call by just walking the ball to almost half court, I laughed when it happened to Dunn-Martin last night

-part of the wonder of the game, SVU red hot against us and last night was throwing bricks

-gosh I hope we cream both of these teams when we play them

23 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I don't know.  I think smaller is going to become the wave of the future in sports venues, with more people choosing to watch games at home.  In all honesty watching at home is the better way to watch the product from the just viewing the game part.  You need to have venues that create an atmosphere that makes attending the game feel special and some what intimate, while maintaining a supply and demand balance to drive revenue.

I'm all for smaller, but I prefer the "bowl" look.  Duquesne did what a lot of small schools do which is go really far out on the sides, and short on the ends.  Hate that.  And im sure it has to do with how much room they had to work with, but its still what smaller schools do. 

20 hours ago, Pistol said:

Always great to see A10 schools making these significant investments in their facilities. But I do like that SLU keeps its significant "wow" factor edge over Duquesne for any recruit walking into the respective gyms. 

3 hours ago, wgstl said:

I'm all for smaller, but I prefer the "bowl" look.  Duquesne did what a lot of small schools do which is go really far out on the sides, and short on the ends.  Hate that.  And im sure it has to do with how much room they had to work with, but its still what smaller schools do. 

Agree.  I'm never a fan of having a ceiling that's not too far above the fans.  These rectangle arenas, Dayton is the same, don't have the same feel as the open feel of a bowl arena.

almaman likes this

Duquesne is now shutting it down due to a positive test. They played Dayton this week and as of now, UD's game with George Mason is still on for tonight. Duquesne has only postponed this weekend's VCU game for now.

5 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Duquesne is now shutting it down due to a positive test. They played Dayton this week and as of now, UD's game with George Mason is still on for tonight. Duquesne has only postponed this weekend's VCU game for now.

Wow.  Last man standing wins the league title.