Around the A10 20-21 season

brianstl

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, CBFan said:

You can see that the VCU troll is a young person probably a student.

Many on this message board have engaged good mannered super fans of other schools but this person is just too immature to engage so why waste your time engaging a poster that is not smart enough to engage.

Please don’t even rate his posts he is not smart enough to know what it means.

Beating VCU will be much sweeter.

Better question, why haven’t the moderators banned this idiot, or is that only reserved, for long standing members who are Trump supporters??

billiken_roy and AGB91 like this

46 minutes ago, gister said:

What happened to the St. Bonaventure - UMass game today.  It was still scheduled yesterday, but was cancelled today.  Anyone know which team had a problem?

UMass has a campus wide shutdown. Their season is most likely over.

@slu72 ---- Make no bones about it, Bones can beat you (pun intended).  Second round draft choice?  Well, I'm no NBA scout so I have no clue what they look for.  Let's remember Obi-wan was a lottery pick and he can't seem to get off the bench of the NY Knicks.  THE NY KNICKS.  

Bones is one of the top guards in the league for sure.  People in this category include Goodwin and Collins, Crutcher and Watson at Dayton, Lofton at Bonaventure, Russell at Rhode Island, Daly at St. Joes, Gilyard and Francis at Richmond and finally Grady at Davidson.  While Goodwin may very well make first team all A10 and maybe even POY, he is not your typical guard.  Collins is a pure assists man; he hasn't figured out how to score just yet.  Watson is only a shooter.  Russell has been hurt and as I have said before, I think he's lost a lot being the leading man as opposed to a second fiddle.  Daly has been out hurt.  Gilyard brings you steals and assists over scoring.  Francis is just like Watson a pure shooter.  Lofton has lost some of his offensive swagger given his horrendous exterior shooting this year.  Which leaves Grady, Crutcher and Bones as the top three traditional two guards in my book in the league this year.

Crutcher seems to do it all especially against us but I watched Bones shut him down twice now in head-to-head matchups.  I also watched La Salle and Fordham shut Crutcher down.  Why we can't do that, i don't know.  I also watched Lofton and company shut down Bones and VCU to the tune of 14 in the second half in Olean. VCU's youth and inexperience showed through in that fiasco.   Grady and Davidson have been MIA for 22 days now.  So he hasn't been in the spotlight any of late.  Bones' rating is likely the highest right now because VCU is actually playing and playing well.

The problem I see isn't so much Bones, although he does factor in some which I will get to, but rather the rest of the VCU team.  One could adopt the philosophy of making someone else beat you other than Bones.  Give Bones his and limit the rest.  VCU has been rather lax in developing secondary and tertiary offensive options to compliment Bones.  Vince Williams has been coming on of late and many are touting him for Most Improved Player in the A10 this year.  Bones averages about 20 and Williams a little over ten ---- that's 30 ppg.  You don't win many games scoring 30 ppg.  None of the other VCU players have been consistent enough in my book but it has worked to date.  I think the rest of the lineup averages about 5 or 6 per game .... and that's six guys ..... so you could say let Bones get his and shut the rest down.  That's another 36 points for 66 total and VCU does play a very disruptive defense as usual.  Very few teams have scored 66 against VCU this year so the +/- there works to their benefit.

I did see that Bones' factor I mentioned in the Bonnie game in Olean.  I mean, they were bad, as bad as Dayton was against them scoring 13 in the first half at Richmond.  In both instances, the defense was so tight on the secondary players, that Crutcher and Hyland each began forcing things because there were no other options on the floor.  In both cases, the offense for each was to pass it around until five seconds were on the shot clock and then the two stars would large something out of desperation.  Needless to say, they were missing.  Frustration took over for both.  Interesting that two of the so-called best programs in the A10 posted the two worst stinkers of halves this year.  

VCU has some very nice supporting pieces in Williams, Baldwin, Watkins and Ward.  They just ain't there yet.  Rhoades has yet to really develop Brown-Jones, Medley-Bacon, or even Ward and another guy I liked, Jarren McAllister is out with an injury for the year.  I also think Jhamir Watkins will be a good one when all is said and done.  

I've seen a lot of guards tear it up in college and go little to nowhere once done.  Jack Gibbs.  Jimmer Fredette.  Scoochie Smith.  Treveon Graham.  Dionte Christmas.  Tu Holloway.  Rotnei Clarke.  Those are just a few in the A10 i remember.  Bones could make it but I'm no expert.  A second round pick means nothing really.

53 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

a lot of guards tear it up in college and go little to nowhere once done.  Jack Gibbs.  Jimmer Fredette.  Scoochie Smith.  Treveon Graham.  Dionte Christmas.  Tu Holloway.  Rotnei Clarke.  Those are just a few in the A10 i remember.  Bones could make it but I'm no expert.  A second round pick means nothing really.

I must have missed the time that BYU spent in the A10.  🤣

20 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I must have missed the time that BYU spent in the A10.  🤣

FYI, NBA second round picks are now routinely getting a one year, two way contract (can go back and forth to the G League) at $449,115.  I'd say that is something.  My Pacers have their 2020 second rounder, Cassius Stanley 54th pick overall, on a two way with the Ft. Wayne Mad Ants.

RUBillsFan likes this

5 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-Mad Ants, that's a nice one!

-when we go to SVU I suggest putting Fred on Crutcher and being very physical with him and seeing if Jalen will play through it, nothing ticky tak or dirty, hard basketball plays

20 minutes of Goodwin and 20 minutes of FTJ.. give him multiple looks and hope he misses 

10 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-when we go to SVU I suggest putting Fred on Crutcher and being very physical with him and seeing if Jalen will play through it, nothing ticky tak or dirty, hard basketball plays

Agree that size is our best option.  Thatch was effective against him in our matchups two years ago and Yuri, since he has to guard somebody, has been getting the bulk of the minutes since then.  But he's too small to bother Crutcher's shot.  This may be one of those bizarre occasions where having Yuri out helps us match up better.

30 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Agree that size is our best option.  Thatch was effective against him in our matchups two years ago and Yuri, since he has to guard somebody, has been getting the bulk of the minutes since then.  But he's too small to bother Crutcher's shot.  This may be one of those bizarre occasions where having Yuri out helps us match up better.

Aren't we hopeful that Collins could be able to go against Dayton?

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

I'm ok with a little dirt

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

I had to look this up. 

The franchise held a name-the-team contest on their website where fans could vote on one of the four finalists: Lightning, Fire, Coyotes, and Mad Ants. The winning name of Mad Ants was chosen as a salute to the city's and fort's namesake, General "Mad" Anthony Wayne.[5]

Fred gets into foul trouble as quick as any Billiken at 5.4 fouls per 40 minutes.  So yes, we will need someone to assist him with his Crutch duty. 

4 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Crutcher is going to get his against us.  That is just the way it is.  We win the game if we lockdown Ibi.

HoosierPal likes this

Yeah, bad one on me.  I was writing about college guards and then lapsed down into the A10.  I know BYU and Fredette are misplaced as in the A10 but not in the context of a college guard who did nothing in the pros.

Dayton up 34 to 28 at half. Just bad basketball.  Rhode Island has no clue what it's doing.  Typical Dayton:  throw up hairball threes only to have an unguarded big under the basket to surprise the Rams standing around and make a bucket.

1 minute ago, Cowboy said:

-these guys on the SVU/RI game said a few minutes ago the A10 could get 6 teams in the Tourney, they are smoking some good stuff

Apparently, CBS Sports Network doesn’t require you to do research before calling games.