Around the A10 20-21 season

brianstl

7 minutes ago, An A-10 fan said:

Another good post Iquaries.  I had a similar experience last season when I came on the A-10 thread of this board after SLU lost what I described as an entertaining game to Dayton at home. I really enjoyed that game as an impartial observer.  I was just there to say that SLU giving top-5 Dayton a great game benefited the rest of the conference, and SLU in particular. But  I got slammed by someone who was in no mood to hear from an "outsider" who, although a fan of the whole league, does have a preference for his hometown team (Duquesne).  Some of the regulars on here talk about their support of the league because that's a good thing for their particular team (and it is).   I suppose that's why they have a thread like this (which is the only one I post to on here)  But when push comes to shove during the conference season, that "support" for the league goes out the window and some of them see SLU as the only program with legit NCAA aspirations and they often trash the other conference teams.  Duquesne has been on the rise in recent years but suffered a major setback due to the pandemic that made it worse for the Dukes more than any other A-10 team. The pandemic pushed back the completion of their 50 million dollar renovation of their arena.  Try keeping team unity for 2 seasons without a proper place to practice or workout, or have "home games" consist of 40-minute bus rides across town. Add 3 defections from the roster (partly fueled by the team's nomadic existence) and it's a miracle Duquesne is 5-6.  

They should be happy to have coherent discussions about all the teams with outside fans. VCURN has had posters of opponents from literally all over the country over the years. We just had a peaceful SBU fan post before that game. We welcome the diversity. We still have posters from Joe's, UR, etc. who post regularly, and we don't bat an eye and definitely don't immediately attack them personally like a bunch of deplorables. But common decency and common sense ain't common. 

An A-10 fan likes this

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, lquarles said:

Are you? 

Yes. Please leave the board. Go back to VCURN. If you still want to have a discussion face to face when the time comes, you know where to find me. Until then, just leave the rest of the board alone. I’m asking nicely.

billiken_roy likes this

1 minute ago, lquarles said:

@Reinert310okay, board police. You are really out here talking about some next YEAR. 

giphy.gif

I’m not being board police. I’m asking for the sake of the rest of the board, who haven’t said anything to you and don’t want to have to read through all this BS. I’m asking as nicely and humbly as I possibly can through typed text, please leave. 

43 minutes ago, An A-10 fan said:

Another good post Iquaries.  I had a similar experience last season when I came on the A-10 thread of this board after SLU lost what I described as an entertaining game to Dayton at home. I really enjoyed that game as an impartial observer.  I was just there to say that SLU giving top-5 Dayton a great game benefited the rest of the conference, and SLU in particular. But  I got slammed by someone who was in no mood to hear from an "outsider" who, although a fan of the whole league, does have a preference for his hometown team (Duquesne).  Some of the regulars on here talk about their support of the league because that's a good thing for their particular team (and it is).   I suppose that's why they have a thread like this (which is the only one I post to on here)  But when push comes to shove during the conference season, that "support" for the league goes out the window and some of them see SLU as the only program with legit NCAA aspirations and they often trash the other conference teams.  Duquesne has been on the rise in recent years but suffered a major setback due to the pandemic that made it worse for the Dukes more than any other A-10 team. The pandemic pushed back the completion of their 50 million dollar renovation of their arena.  Try keeping team unity for 2 seasons without a proper place to practice or workout, or have "home games" consist of 40-minute bus rides across town. Add 3 defections from the roster (partly fueled by the team's nomadic existence) and it's a miracle Duquesne is 5-6.  A couple SLU fans have a habit of trashing Duquesne. Someone said they were no better than Fordham. Another said they are going to suck once their seniors are done not realizing that the freshmen are potentially more talented, evidenced by the blowout win at Fordham when the freshman scored over half of their 86 points.

Jesus dude, he’s not going to sleep with you

2 hours ago, lquarles said:

@billiken_roywhat are you talking about? I didn't set up anything. You can stop pulling stupid BS out of your ass now... but I forgot, it's Missouri. 

Wanna take a guess where the majority of the traitorous troglodytes from January 6th came from ?

You're in the freaking capital of the Confederacy.

Glass houses, dude. Glass houses.

41 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

If you think message board is hostile to outsiders, I highly encourage you to post on boards of other schools, even within the A10 conference, but specifically teams in the power 6. Go on some of those boards and compare and contrast. I’d love to hear your thoughts on the subject afterwards.

They wouldn't last on tigerboard and SECRant. LOL

wgstl and Reinert310 like this

24 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

I’m not being board police. I’m asking for the sake of the rest of the board, who haven’t said anything to you and don’t want to have to read through all this BS. I’m asking as nicely and humbly as I possibly can through typed text, please leave. 

17a17ae6b93faf667b39af6d8fe34d68.gif

Just now, lquarles said:

17a17ae6b93faf667b39af6d8fe34d68.gif

Why? You’ve thoroughly defended yourself. You said that was your goal. I’ve asked you nicely to leave. Now you’re moving the goalposts. 

Just now, lquarles said:

Oh man, I didn't realize it's the year 1864.

"Majority" 😂😂😂

Why are you still here? This stopped being about VCU basketball a long time ago. 

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Dude, your Governor dressed as a klansman.

He dressed in blackface beside someone dressed as a klansman. No one knew that until after he was elected.

Richmond city itself is heavily liberal, far from confederacy status nowadays. And the majority of the arrested seditionists are from everywhere but Virginia. 

Just now, lquarles said:

He dressed in blackface beside someone dressed as a klansman. No one knew that until after he was elected.

Richmond city itself is heavily liberal, far from confederacy status nowadays. And the majority of the arrested seditionists are from everywhere but Virginia. 

Why are you still here?

12 hours ago, An A-10 fan said:

At the risk of getting banned from this board, I basically agree with you.  SLU has a good team, and it's great to see they have a strong fan base of enthusiastic fans, but some of the comments I have been reading here all season have been getting ahead of things.  Some of these posters sound like all their team has to do is show up.   What particularly irks me is some of them keep harping on the fact that their team has far more depth than VCU, Richmond, Davidson, Dayton and the Bonnies.  So what? Only 5 can play at one time? All of these teams have more depth than SLU fans think.   I pull hard for all the teams in the league in OOC games, but this season has been unusual due to a lack of these games for obvious reasons.  Despite their loss to Dayton, SLU should have a solid season but if they think their team is like the Dayton of last year and should blow out the rest of the league, they are mistaken. If SLU goes 13-5 in the league, consider it a good season.  This should put them in good shape for the NCAA.  Also, a handful of these posters have had quite a few unfavorable things to say about Duquesne (who has beaten their team a few times in recent years which for some reason bothers them more than it should).  The Dukes have had a rough season for 2 big reasons. 1) three returning starters never had their hearts in the game and  eventually left the team. 2) Also,

the team was shut down for Covid reasons twice (once for 2 weeks in the preseason) and from Dec. 2 to Jan. 2 in the regular season. One more thing, someone claims the Dukes will suck once their seniors leave.  There will be an adjustment period, but Dambrot has by far the best freshman class he has recruited in his 4 years at Duquesne and they are starting to play more and more as the season progresses.

You call yourself an A10 fan however you only talk about Duquesne when they win and never talk about the A10 unless to pal up with the VCU troll and upvote his ludicrous posts then whine about the SLU fans treatment on the SLU fan board that most of us give money to support this is why there are no advertisements.

Your ignorance and lack of self awareness are astonishing.

Tell us your thoughts on this weeks A10 so called A10 fan give us some thoughtful insight of the conference.  This thread is a A10 thread not a Dukes or Rams thread.

You and the VCU troll need to learn manners when in another teams fan site. Be thoughtful and respectful when visiting and you will receive the same.

Schedule reshuffle possibilities. This still doesn't address our open week ending on the 6th. From my earlier post (prior to the children taking over this thread) I guess GW may be eliminated from the open week, leaving LaSalle and Fordham as potential opponents.

On 1/26/2021 at 9:27 PM, lquarles said:

Where did I brag about beating Dayton? Just by saying VCU looked good? VCU also lost to Fordham, but made the NCAAT the same season. Ish happens.

Wait, did you mean the same Dayton that just beat SLU? Oh crap, here come the "rust" excuses. I guess Dayton is more than one or two guys, huh? But anyone who actually knows basketball wouldn't say that.

French looks like he enjoyed his extended break.

Who are Thatch and Linssen? Are they part of the hyped and fake "depth" who will be on the bench while the starters play 39 minutes at VCU?

Here's a brag: Dayton led SLU almost the entire game, and never trailed. They never led VCU. Crutcher had 4 points. Freshman Ace Baldwin shut him down. VCU took his soul and he checked out early, which is what needs to happen with Goodwin.

It must suck being dumb and incapable of saying something intelligent. 

I'm guessing you didn't watch the game. Yes, SLU went through some ice cold stretches (check the play by play on ESPN), and indeed caught fire when VCU couldn't get out of their own way at the same time, for too long. Yes, SLU took advantage with big runs, but so did almost every other team at the end of the season.

I think it's silly to keep a team ranked for five weeks when they aren't playing, especially after a loss. But the AP is a silly poll anyway, the rankings to care about are the NET, KP, etc. 

Good luck at going 1-6 at the Stu, guys. Don't jump me again, I'm scared! Peace!

I just went to the ESPN play by play. Besides the 1st 2:19 where we missed our 1st 2 shots we only went over a couple of minutes without scoring once which was 2:24 where we missed 1 shot. Can you give me the stretches of cold shooting we had in the 1st half? 

omg skip.  he finally had seemed to settle down and possibly go away    now his notifications will tell him we talked to him and he will be back to insult us and fight with his moronic reasoning and examples.  thanks a lot.  

however i do like the bugs bunny memes he down loaded.   i am a big bugs fan.   

slufanskip likes this

4 hours ago, HoosierPal said:
Schedule reshuffle possibilities. This still doesn't address our open week ending on the 6th. From my earlier post (prior to the children taking over this thread) I guess GW may be eliminated from the open week, leaving LaSalle and Fordham as potential opponents.

GW missed its games on 1/20 and 1/27, and their 1/30 game against Fordham is already cancelled. I would think our game against them on the 6th is going to be their return. They were the only other team with an open week the same time as us, and they're not a home-and-home opponent.

That leaves Fordham available this weekend but their game against UMass on the 3rd still hasn't been cancelled, though it might be. They're a one-time opponent we haven't gotten to in the schedule yet, so I don't see the point of going for them and taking a NET hit, anyway.

La Salle plays on the 30th, 3rd, and 6th, so they're not freed up at all. Like Fordham, they're also a one-time opponent later in the schedule and offer no NET boost.

Bonaventure plays on the 30th and the 3rd.

On the 2nd, GMU plays at Richmond and Dayton goes to Duquesne. On the 3rd, the other 8 teams play (GW and SLU being unscheduled).

So I still don't see a game for us in the open week. The one other team that was unscheduled is sitting out until we play them. Unless another team shuts down suddenly and leaves someone else we postponed without an opponent, I don't see it happening.

EDIT: Forgot about UMass. Doesn't really change my point, though. Fordham being freed up doesn't do anything for us.

TheChosenOne likes this

We still have the matter of the unscheduled St. Bonaventure game. There's an 8-day break between the regular season end and the A10 Tournament. That's the most obvious slot for it right now. Maybe they'll do a back-to-back since we had our other game against Bona postponed.

TheChosenOne likes this

21 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I just went to the ESPN play by play. Besides the 1st 2:19 where we missed our 1st 2 shots we only went over a couple of minutes without scoring once which was 2:24 where we missed 1 shot. Can you give me the stretches of cold shooting we had in the 1st half? 

From the 12:44 mark to the 6:06 mark you had 4 made FGs.