Recruiting - 2024

Pistol

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

This poster is the originator of the long standing tool recruit joke for those who don't know. Legend

Honestly there was a moment a year ago I envisioned slu with bol and that sounded nice. Oh well.

🤣 spent a few minutes trying to find the first time referring to a recruit as a tool.  Best I can tell, JP Macura was my first, but this thread in reference to Kelan Martin is where it seems to gain some steam. 

https://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?/topic/24359-recruiting-2014/&do=findComment&comment=378034

@Quality Is Job 1 (great poster, RIP) didn’t take too kindly to it at first, but pretty sure this is what started it all.  

JMM28 likes this

8 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

🤣 spent a few minutes trying to find the first time referring to a recruit as a tool.  Best I can tell, JP Macura was my first, but this thread in reference to Kelan Martin is where it seems to gain some steam. 

https://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?/topic/24359-recruiting-2014/&do=findComment&comment=378034

@Quality Is Job 1 (great poster, RIP) didn’t take too kindly to it at first, but pretty sure this is what started it all.  

I’m not certain but it seems to me it was quite a bit before that. He would get called a tool, then someone, many times me, would claim we quit recruiting him. My memory says it’s been more than 10 years but hell, I’m old and the years seem to fly by fast

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

I’m not certain but it seems to me it was quite a bit before that. He would get called a tool, then someone, many times me, would claim we quit recruiting him. My memory says it’s been more than 10 years but hell, I’m old and the years seem to fly by fast

I’m not saying it was for sure never said before that, but it wasn’t a widely accepted thing to call a recruit, as you can see from the responses if you read through the thread.  I do think the “stopped recruiting him” joke predated that though.  I could also be wrong, I’ve been on this board over half my life, so the time is also all warped for me. 😅

on another note, there are some very funny posts re: Brett Jolly’s commitment in that thread.  

slufanskip likes this

New Offer:

Trent Noah - SF, 6-7, 200 - Baxter, KY (Harlan County) - AAU: Midwest Basketball Club (Adidas 3SSB) - Twitter: @trentnoah2_
Offers: Saint Louis, VCU, Richmond, George Mason, Seton Hall, Belmont, Indiana State, Rice, Miami-Ohio, East Tennessee State, Marshall, Coastal Carolina, Morehead State, Northern Kentucky, Eastern Kentucky, Florida Gulf Coast, Liberty.

Interest: Dayton, Loyola-Chicago, Rhode Island, Xavier, Indiana, Illinois, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Cincinnati, Stanford, Utah, California, Central Florida, Illinois State, Bradley, Valparaiso, Western Kentucky, Buffalo, Toledo, Bowling Green, Ball State, Northern Illinois, Tennessee Tech, Southern Indiana, Furman, Charleston, Iona, Holy Cross, Boston, Appalachian State, Louisiana-Monroe, St. Thomas, Weber State, Lipscomb, Stetson, Long Island.

Latest News: Noah received an offer from SLU. (5/20/23)

Scouting Report: Noah is a wing who can really shoot. He's got a great frame, with the ability to take it inside and compete for rebounds. He's a smart, efficient scorer who finds his spots and doesn't force things. He also has solid playmaking ability, able to put it on the floor and find his teammates.

• 3 weeks later...

John Bol to Florida.

Frank C. a couple days ago was saying he's heading to Mizzou. Then he sort of backtracked yesterday. I'm sure Mizzou fans are furious at him right now. That's what he gets for trying to scoop these kids on their announcements.

brianstl likes this

3 minutes ago, Pistol said:

John Bol to Florida.

Frank C. a couple days ago was saying he's heading to Mizzou. Then he sort of backtracked yesterday. I'm sure Mizzou fans are furious at him right now. That's what he gets for trying to scoop these kids on their announcements.

ain't we always sayin' Frank knows what's up? Has he ever done us wrong in same way?

• 2 weeks later...

New offer:

Daniel Johnson - SF, 6-7, 190 - Chicago, IL (Brewster Academy, NH) - AAU: Illinois Wolves (Under Armour Association) - Twitter: @Daniel05Johnson
Offers: Saint Louis, St. Bonaventure, DePaul, Nevada, Illinois State, Akron, Toledo, Northern Illinois.

Interest: Dayton, Richmond, Massachusetts, Xavier, Marquette, Butler, Michigan, Tennessee, Georgia, Missouri, Louisville, Virginia Tech, Iowa State, Colorado, California, Boise State, East Carolina, Brown, Belmont, Murray State, SIU-Carbondale, Illinois-Chicago, Missouri State, Indiana State, Bradley, Valparaiso, Florida International, Charlotte, Ohio, Kent State, Buffalo, Eastern Michigan, Miami-Ohio, Bowling Green, Milwaukee, Cleveland State, Ball State, Purdue-Fort Wayne, Austin Peay, SIU-Edwardsville, Lindenwood, Southern Indiana, Wofford, Holy Cross, William & Mary, Towson, Elon, Iona, Quinnipiac, Fairfield, Appalachian State, Louisiana-Monroe, South Dakota State, North Dakota State, St. Thomas, Vermont, UMBC, UMass-Lowell, NJIT, New Mexico State, UC-Irvine, Central Arkansas, Loyola-Maryland, Fairleigh Dickinson, Longwood, Northwestern State, Howard, Chicago State.

Latest News: Johnson received an offer from SLU. (6/19/2023)

Scouting Report: Johnson is a poised, athletic wing who scores on three levels. He gets to the basket consistently, using his body to bully defenders, and finishing with bounce. He has nice touch on his mid-range jumper. He guards the perimeter well and creates steals. He has a strong, college-ready frame. He was a 2023 recruit who graduated from Whitney Young in Chicago before reclassifying and taking a prep year at Brewster Academy in New Hampshire.

7 minutes ago, Pistol said:

New offer:

Daniel Johnson - SF, 6-7, 190 - Chicago, IL (Brewster Academy, NH) - AAU: Illinois Wolves (Under Armour Association) - Twitter: @Daniel05Johnson
Offers: Saint Louis, St. Bonaventure, DePaul, Nevada, Illinois State, Akron, Toledo, Northern Illinois.

Interest: Dayton, Richmond, Massachusetts, Xavier, Marquette, Butler, Michigan, Tennessee, Georgia, Missouri, Louisville, Virginia Tech, Iowa State, Colorado, California, Boise State, East Carolina, Brown, Belmont, Murray State, SIU-Carbondale, Illinois-Chicago, Missouri State, Indiana State, Bradley, Valparaiso, Florida International, Charlotte, Ohio, Kent State, Buffalo, Eastern Michigan, Miami-Ohio, Bowling Green, Milwaukee, Cleveland State, Ball State, Purdue-Fort Wayne, Austin Peay, SIU-Edwardsville, Lindenwood, Southern Indiana, Wofford, Holy Cross, William & Mary, Towson, Elon, Iona, Quinnipiac, Fairfield, Appalachian State, Louisiana-Monroe, South Dakota State, North Dakota State, St. Thomas, Vermont, UMBC, UMass-Lowell, NJIT, New Mexico State, UC-Irvine, Central Arkansas, Loyola-Maryland, Fairleigh Dickinson, Longwood, Northwestern State, Howard, Chicago State.

Latest News: Johnson received an offer from SLU. (6/19/2023)

Scouting Report: Johnson is a poised, athletic wing who scores on three levels. He gets to the basket consistently, using his body to bully defenders, and finishing with bounce. He has nice touch on his mid-range jumper. He guards the perimeter well and creates steals. He has a strong, college-ready frame. He was a 2023 recruit who graduated from Whitney Young in Chicago before reclassifying and taking a prep year at Brewster Academy in New Hampshire.

I wonder if this is an option to skip the prep year and bring him in this coming year? The offers say otherwise so I wonder if the prep year is a little bit on the academic side as well. 

1 hour ago, JMM28 said:

I wonder if this is an option to skip the prep year and bring him in this coming year? The offers say otherwise so I wonder if the prep year is a little bit on the academic side as well. 

I don't know, but I suppose it's possible.

Finally offered Darrion Sutton: 

Darrion Sutton - G/F, 6-10, 175 - O'Fallon, MO (Accelerated Prep, CO) - AAU: Young & Reckless - Twitter: @darrion1k
Offers: Saint Louis, Creighton, Butler, DePaul, St. John's, Michigan, Illinois, Iowa, Rutgers, Penn State, Missouri, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Ohio State, Maryland, Florida State, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, Cincinnati, Wyoming, Fresno State, Illinois-Chicago, Indiana State, Valparaiso, Louisiana Tech, Ohio, Toledo, Akron, Miami-Ohio, Tennessee State, Towson, Old Dominion, Texas-Arlington, Long Island.

Interest: Dayton, Loyola-Chicago, Xavier, Marquette, Minnesota, South Carolina, Tennessee, Louisville, North Carolina State, Kansas, Iowa State, West Virginia, Cincinnati, Stanford, Utah, Utah State, San Jose State, South Florida, Saint Mary's, Belmont, Drake, Illinois State, North Texas, Rice, Florida International, Buffalo, Northern Illinois, Southeast Missouri, East Tennessee State, James Madison, Georgia State, South Alabama, Denver, UMBC, UC-Irvine, Cal Poly, UC-San Diego, Southern Utah, Northwestern State, Alabama A&M, Chicago State.

Latest News: Sutton received an offer from SLU. (6/19/23)

Scouting Report: Sutton is a long, lean wing with a guard skill set. He's athletic and skilled, can handle it in traffic, change directions, and get to the rim easily. He has an easy left-handed jumper out past the perimeter. He has very good shot blocking ability. He moves well at both ends and his length and unique abilities make him a mismatch problem. From O'Fallon, MO, he was homeschooled and played for Gateway City Elite. Then he transferred out to Accelerated Prep in Colorado. Rankings: Rivals - 117, 247Sports - 113.

New offers:

Malcolm Thomas - PF, 6-8, 215 - Hyattsville, MD (DeMatha Catholic) - AAU: Team Durant (Nike EYBL) - Twitter: @princ3_thomas
Offers: Saint Louis, Villanova, Xavier, Butler, Virginia Tech, Tulsa, Howard.

Interest: Loyola-Chicago, Richmond, George Washington, Georgetown, Illinois, Maryland, Syracuse, Oklahoma, California, Temple, Princeton, Murray State, North Texas, Wofford, East Tennessee State, American, James Madison, Towson, Elon, Hampton, Old Dominion, Georgia State, Quinnipiac, Denver, UMBC, Loyola-Maryland, USC-Upstate, Jackson State.

Latest News: Thomas received offers from SLU and Villanova. (6/20/23)

Scouting Report: Thomas is a versatile frontcourt player who can guard almost any position. He's an efficient scorer who is comfortable around the rim but able to step out and shoot it past the perimeter. He can make plays off the dribble and dunks everything he can. He's a strong rebounder and rim protector. He has a smart, unselfish, mature game. He is the son of former Syracuse and NBA player Etan Thomas and former Syracuse player Nichole Thomas.

Emmanuel (Manu) Okitondo - SF, 6-7, 180 - Democratic Republic of the Congo (Bishop Walsh, MD) - AAU: DC Premier (Under Armour Association) - Twitter: @manuoki13
Offers: Saint Louis, Rhode Island, Rutgers, Texas-El Paso, Towson, Fairfield, UMBC, NJIT, Bryant.

Interest: VCU, George Mason, St. Joseph's, Xavier, Maryland, Nebraska, Texas A&M, Temple, SMU, San Diego, Pacific, Murray State, Northern Kentucky, IUPUI, Lehigh, Loyola-Maryland, American, James Madison, Old Dominion, Appalachian State, Louisiana-Monroe, Fairleigh Dickinson, Howard, Norfolk State.

Latest News: Okitondo received an offer from SLU. (6/20/23)

Scouting Report: Okitondo is an athletic, versatile wing with good size. He has a guard skill set, with the ability to create, shoot, and finish. He moves well off the ball and creates for himself. He's got excellent leaping ability. He's energetic at both ends of the floor. Okitondo is from the Democratic Republic of the Congo. He transferred from Oak Hill Academy to Archbishop Carroll before his sophomore year and then played his junior year at Bishop Walsh.

Toby Ojukwu - PG, 6-2, 170 - Voorhees, NJ (Norcross, GA) - AAU: Philly Pride (Under Armour Association) - Twitter: @tobyojukwu
Offers: Saint Louis, Manhattan, Albany.

Interest: La Salle, Villanova, Harvard, Penn, Princeton, South Florida, Rice, Florida International, Jacksonville State, Furman, Chattanooga, Lehigh, Lafayette, Delaware, Iona, Rider, UNC-Asheville, Radford, Longwood, Texas A&M-Commerce.

Latest News: Ojukwu received an offer from SLU. (6/22/23)

Scouting Report: Ojukwu is a smart, patient guard with high-level defensive ability. He changes speeds and directions, keeping defenders off balance. He makes good reads to find his teammates. He's strong and poised. He transferred from Roman Catholic HS in Philadelphia to Norcross HS in Georgia before his junior year.

Martin Somerville - G, 6-2, 165 - Forestville, MD (Bishop McNamara) - AAU: Team Melo (Nike EYBL) - Twitter: @jhimartin
Offers: Saint Louis, San Jose State, Brown, UNC-Greensboro, Holy Cross, Bucknell, William & Mary, Loyola-Maryland, Mount St. Mary's, Albany, NJIT.

Interest: Temple, Belmont, Rice, Florida International, Miami-Ohio, VMI, Colgate, Army, Boston, Elon, Niagara, UMBC, Florida Gulf Coast, Longwood, USC-Upstate, Nicholls State.

Latest News: Somerville received offers from SLU, San Jose State, and Brown.

Scouting Report: Somerville is a strong left-handed PG with high-level shooting ability. He can take over a game with his three point shooting. He's strong with the ball and can also get to the rim. He's an excellent defender who pesters opposing ball handlers into making mistakes and creates a lot of steals.

6 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-interesting, at least to me, the last two are PG's

I'm not reading too much into that.  Assuming the way things work in the current transfer environment is that the staff is recruiting for all positions in every class.  You can't build your team around one guy assuming he'll be rock at a certain position for 4 year or even 2-3 years.  Everything is 1 year at a time.

• 3 weeks later...

New offer:

Ja'Quavis Williford - SG, 6-6, 180 - Las Vegas, NV (Middlebrooks Academy, CA) - AAU: Las Vegas Knicks (New Balance Basketball) - Twitter: @jaquaviswill
Offers: Saint Louis, UNLV, Colorado State, Fresno State, San Jose State, Indiana State, Kansas City, Long Beach State, Cal State-Fullerton, Cal Poly.

Interest: Nebraska, Miami, Virginia Tech, Oklahoma State, Colorado, Oregon State, SMU, San Diego, Florida Atlantic, South Florida, Murray State, Cleveland State, Iona, Vermont, UC-San Diego, Portland State, Utah Tech, Georgia Southern, Long Island.

Latest News: Williford received an offer from SLU. (7/10/23)

Scouting Report: Williford is a talented wing who scores on three levels. He's long, active, and bouncy, with high-level finishing ability. He has a left-handed shot he can make from anywhere. He's a versatile, vocal defender. He played for Cathedral HS in Los Angeles last season and is currently listed as a Middlebrooks Academy player (William Middlebrooks runs both programs).

New offer:

Tavion Banks - F, 6-7, 200 - Kansas City, MO (Northwest Florida State College, FL) - Twitter: @tavionbanks2
Offers: Saint Louis, George Mason, Xavier.

Interest: Cincinnati, California, Murray State, Florida Atlantic, Louisiana Tech, Central Michigan, Kennesaw State, Arkansas State, Liberty, New Mexico State, Utah Valley, Abilene Christian.

Latest News: Banks received an offer from SLU. (7/12/23)

Scouting Report: Banks is an active, athletic forward who thrives in mid-range and transition. He is an efficient scorer around the basket who shot .614 in his first JUCO season. He doesn't look to score much from 3. He's aggressive on the glass, particularly on the offensive end. He attended Minnesota Prep for HS before going to NWF, and will be D-I eligible next season as a junior. He played AAU ball for Brad Beal Elite on the same team as Kellen Thames.

Another one:

K.J. Windham - G, 6-3, 160 - Indianapolis, IN (Ben Davis) - AAU: Meanstreets (Nike EYBL) - Twitter: @kj_windham10
Offers: Saint Louis, Duquesne, Northwestern, Tulsa, Murray State, SIU-Carbondale, Indiana State, Florida International, Rice, Kent State, Akron, Miami-Ohio, Western Michigan, Northern Kentucky, IUPUI, Purdue-Fort Wayne, Morehead State, Appalachian State, Sam Houston State, Long Island.

Interest: Loyola-Chicago, Butler, Illinois, Marshall, Louisiana-Monroe.

Latest News: Windham received offers from SLU, SIUC, and Tulsa. (7/12/23)

Scouting Report: Windham is a combo guard with scoring and playmaking ability in equal measure. He's long and lean, with a smooth, easy game. He has a consistent left handed jumper with range. He's smart and tough, with good defensive instincts.