Jump to content

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Old guy said:

That is nice to know, even better with Linssen in the team we may be able to have this kind of positive effect for a much longer period of time per game. The more flexibility, the better we are.

Can’t wait to see this...Jimmy Bell was turning it on ... 9 points and six boards at Auburn, 8 rebounds at Dayton, 10 points at Richmond, 12 points at Rhode Island...his best games were against the best opposition, on the road. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. Thanks the video.  
And Yes, Andre needs more strength and improved dribbling- but he can really shoot it and he is 6’8”!!  
Go ahead Duquesne, Davidson... Pack the lane again this year and dare Andre, Gibson, Javonte and Yuri to shoot from the outside!  Double team French and give up the 3 pointer.  It’s the Billikens, right?

And put your 6’ or 6’2” guard on Andre and let’s see if Andre can post him up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Yes. Thanks the video.  
And Yes, Andre needs more strength and improved dribbling- but he can really shoot it and he is 6’8”!!  
Go ahead Duquesne, Davidson... Pack the lane again this year and dare Andre, Gibson, Javonte and Yuri to shoot from the outside!  Double team French and give up the 3 pointer.  It’s the Billikens, right?

And put your 6’ or 6’2” guard on Andre and let’s see if Andre can post him up. 

Review from the interview:

Andre Lorentsson:

He is an elite shooter and will rival Jimerson  on Day 1.  He handles the ball  well, great passer, but is not  an inside guy. The game that Ford saw him play in person on the east coast, Lorentsson hit 7 straight 3's in the game on the way to 37 points. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes.   Andre probably won't have much such posting up Marten Linssen in practice -- outside guy vs. inside guy.   But Andre is still 6'8", showed forward skills in the video with his rebounding and I suspect will have a high level of success from 5 foot if his defender is much shorter than him.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Clock_Tower said:

Yes.   Andre probably won't have much such posting up Marten Linssen in practice -- outside guy vs. inside guy.   But Andre is still 6'8", showed forward skills in the video with his rebounding and I suspect will have a high level of success from 5 foot if his defender is much shorter than him.  

-it's okay that you don't get it

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-it's okay that you don't get it

Cowboy.  So you are saying Andre is incapable of posting up 6 foot guard?  And your support is that he is more of a perimeter player than an interior player?  Got it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Clock_Tower said:

Yes. Thanks the video.  
And Yes, Andre needs more strength and improved dribbling- but he can really shoot it and he is 6’8”!!  
Go ahead Duquesne, Davidson... Pack the lane again this year and dare Andre, Gibson, Javonte and Yuri to shoot from the outside!  Double team French and give up the 3 pointer.  It’s the Billikens, right?

And put your 6’ or 6’2” guard on Andre and let’s see if Andre can post him up. 

If, as you put it, we are playing a lineup of  "Andre, Gibson, Javonte and Yuri", why would you cover the tallest guy in that group with a 6' guy?

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Cowboy.  So you are saying Andre is incapable of posting up 6 foot guard?  And your support is that he is more of a perimeter player than an interior player?  Got it.

-I'm saying our coach said he is not an inside guy

Link to post
Share on other sites

It would appear that Andre is an exceptional spot-up 3 point shooter and likes to set up on the perimeter for outlet passes, especially on the sides of the court. I like that he looks for the fast break,  runs the floor and finishes with dunks.
He may give Jimerson a run for his money when it comes to percentages, but in the video, I didn't see the elusiveness that Jimmerson showed in his pre-Billiken videos. Jimmmerson was hitting from all over the floor, creating space or dribbling and then stopping on a dime and letting it fly.  With Perkins and Jimmmmerson, we have 2 exceptional players at hitting open shots, hitting shots off of screens, driving in the lane, and creating their own space.  In a word, these 2 guys are smooth.    

Andre is taller and anyone that tall who can hit an open 3, is a problem for defenders. For comparison, going back in time, he reminds me of a taller version of Scott Highmark.   

I think he is going to have some work to do on the defensive side of the ball.  

Disclaimer: These observations are based off of very limited video.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Then I'm confused by this statement: "Pack the lane again this year and dare Andre, Gibson, Javonte and Yuri to shoot from the outside! "

I think he meant something like Gibson and Javonte will get so tired of scoring, that Andrew and Yuri will replace them as we hit 15 3s and pound such teams into submission. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Lorentsson is one of those guys who will be fine offensively from day one. His playing time will be wholly dependent on how quickly he can improve defensively. It's clear from those clips that he will have a steep learning curve on defense, as most freshman do. I'm sure coach Ford is happy to gamble that an elite shooter will be able to improve enough defensively to be a useful asset. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I'm saying our coach said he is not an inside guy

We already know that.  So you are just restating what has already been said?   

And Scott Highmark was not an inside guy either - but when a short guard tried to guard him - he posted him up and used his 6'5" size to exploit the mismatch.  And Scott made a very high percentage of these shots - but no one ever said he became an inside guy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching that video, I would rate Lorentsson as the #12 player on the team with a skill that Jimerson already possesses, and so is reduplicated. Remember when TJ looked lost on defense until around February. That's AL squared. Nowhere near the foot speed and technique to guard an A-10 3. Probably able to hang with a face up 4, although he'd get exposed on switches designed to generate a pick & pop. 

My guess is that when 2021-22 starts, and there's 90-100 minutes to replace, AL will have the possibility to get in the rotation at the 3-4, with Okoro, TJ, Strickland, and Jimerson ahead of him in the rotation. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Then I'm confused by this statement: "Pack the lane again this year and dare Andre, Gibson, Javonte and Yuri to shoot from the outside! "

Don't be confused.  I listed 4 of our outside shooters who will make shots from the outside and stretch defenses - and prevent teams from packing the lane.   In hindsight, I should have included Hargrove and Jacobs - and if so, I am not advocating we try and play 6 players vs. 5 or that 5 of these guys be our starting lineup.

And why would a shorter guard possibly defend Andre?  Because Andre is a perimeter guy - not an inside guy - and bc opposing teams usually don't have a roster of tall, lanky guards. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Yes. Thanks the video.  
And Yes, Andre needs more strength and improved dribbling- but he can really shoot it and he is 6’8”!!  
Go ahead Duquesne, Davidson... Pack the lane again this year and dare Andre, Gibson, Javonte and Yuri to shoot from the outside!  Double team French and give up the 3 pointer.  It’s the Billikens, right?

And put your 6’ or 6’2” guard on Andre and let’s see if Andre can post him up. 

Jimerson, Lorentsson, and French in the game at the same time.... Sweet Jesus. The Werewolf is going to have a feast in the wide open paint, or else our snipers will be raining 3's all day long. 

Yuri/Jacobs -- Goodwin -- Perkins/Jimerson -- Lorentsson -- French/Bell

Deadly with that stretch 4 presence. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, NH said:

Lorentsson is one of those guys who will be fine offensively from day one. His playing time will be wholly dependent on how quickly he can improve defensively. It's clear from those clips that he will have a steep learning curve on defense, as most freshman do. I'm sure coach Ford is happy to gamble that an elite shooter will be able to improve enough defensively to be a useful asset. 

This.  He needs a ton of work defensively.  Based on this limited video, I wouldn't be shocked if he redshirted. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

This.  He needs a ton of work defensively.  Based on this limited video, I wouldn't be shocked if he redshirted. 

Maybe, but much of defense is intensity, desire and effort.  If he has the athletic ability and can quickly grasp the concepts, could come around to it quickly.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have great expectations for Lorentsson after he puts in a year in the weight room.  But he will struggle to guard a 3 in the A10 at this point and he's too soft to guard a 4.  I think his future is as a stretch four a la Peyton Aldridge once he gets stronger.  Does it make sense from him to play the role of spot-up shooter for 7-8 minutes a game?  Or is it better to redshirt him and unleash an improved player on the league the following year? Tough call.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I have great expectations for Lorentsson after he puts in a year in the weight room.  But he will struggle to guard a 3 in the A10 at this point and he's too soft to guard a 4.  I think his future is as a stretch four a la Peyton Aldridge once he gets stronger.  Does it make sense from him to play the role of spot-up shooter for 7-8 minutes a game?  Or is it better to redshirt him and unleash an improved player on the league the following year? Tough call.

I don’t think it’s that tough of a call if he’s actually capable of shooting at or above a 40% clip from 3. Big if, but that seems to be the expectation from those within the program.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BilliesBy40 said:

I don’t think it’s that tough of a call if he’s actually capable of shooting at or above a 40% clip from 3. Big if, but that seems to be the expectation from those within the program.

he's got to be able to guard someone.   gives up more than he scores, he is not useful.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...