GDT: Duquesne, Act II

Taj79

I am going to talk out of both sides of my mouth. I believe good teams change up defenses from time to time. God our zone defense is awful . We continually give up open threes . The 1-3-1 half court trap gives up the corner three continually. While it is tough to do with our short bench I believe our full court pressure is the most effective. I understand some of the match up problems in our man to man but God we give up a lot of open threes. 

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

A rough stretch where we are winning a ton of games is way different than a rough stretch where we are losing a bunch of games. Results matter haha. We're 17-6 last year we were 17-11 and lost 5 of 6 (including to bad teams Richmond and by 30 (!) to a bad St Joes team. There's undeniably major difference. 

We're on pace to go 11-7 in a much harder A-10 with a younger less experienced team and with a better OOC performance. 

.500 with all your wins being against the worst teams in conference(and barely winning) isnt considered a rough stretch for you?  You're lying.  Again, the difference between this stretch last year and this year was last years saw better teams.  This team absolutely has the same record as last years if they saw the same teams too. 

6 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

We're on pace to go 11-7 in a much harder A-10 with a younger less experienced team and with a better OOC performance. 

Agreed, and in no where in my original post says anything about that. 

17 minutes ago, wgstl said:

.500 with all your wins being against the worst teams in conference(and barely winning) isnt considered a rough stretch for you?  You're lying.  Again, the difference between this stretch last year and this year was last years saw better teams.  This team absolutely has the same record as last years if they saw the same teams too. 

Yes it's a rough stretch. But 3-3 in our last 6 is way better than the 1-5 stretch I was referring to haha. Last years 1-5 stretch included:

- 30 point loss to a really bad St. Joes team

- Loss to a worse Duquesne team

- Loss to a 13-20 Richmond team

- Loss to a 18-15 URI team

- and the 1pt loss to Davidson with missed FT at end

That's 4 bad losses in a span of 6 games. This years team does not lose all those games. Last years team was really flawed. The A10 last year was way worse than this year's A10....SLU included.

1 hour ago, ACE said:

Yuri has got to shoot more 3s to keep the defense honest. They just sag off of Collins and Goodwin and pack it in. I know he's not known as a sharpshooter, but he is 35% on the season, but he has only shot 20 3s.  I would encourage him to shoot a couple a game, so the defense will have to come out and play him.

out of reactions, good post.  was about to say just this.  has a smoother stroke than goodwin, for sure.  and his makes are usually bottom of the net.  same with his layups.  he is a skilled player, but is not taking what the defense gives him w/r/t the long ball.

3 minutes ago, jimbofive said:

out of reactions, good post.  was about to say just this.  has a smoother stroke than goodwin, for sure.  and his makes are usually bottom of the net.  same with his layups.  he is a skilled player, but is not taking what the defense gives him w/r/t the long ball.

Agreed. I also don’t know why Yuri doesn’t shoot more. 

1 hour ago, jimbofive said:

Agreed. He needs to be more selfish. 

38 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Also seems like Goodwin has completely lost his mid range shot.

Agreed. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that he rarely beats his defender off the dribble and most of his shots, even at the elbow, are contested. I love J Good and appreciate his aggressiveness but he attempts 3-5 too many drives to the rim each game.  With the lack of "blow by" quickness and speed, he has to use his strength to  muscle his way to the basket which often results in wild shots or attempts at layups. Finesse and touch is the key under the basket but when you're being guarded the entire way to the rim that becomes difficult to achieve.   With the exception of Perkins, it seems this entire team has a really difficult time finishing within 3 feet of the rim. Doesn't help that teams are packing it in against SLU.

47 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Agreed. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that he rarely beats his defender off the dribble and most of his shots, even at the elbow, are contested. I love J Good and appreciate his aggressiveness but he attempts 3-5 too many drives to the rim each game.  With the lack of "blow by" quickness and speed, he has to use his strength to  muscle his way to the basket which often results in wild shots or attempts at layups. Finesse and touch is the key under the basket but when you're being guarded the entire way to the rim that becomes difficult to achieve.   With the exception of Perkins, it seems this entire team has a really difficult time finishing within 3 feet of the rim. Doesn't help that teams are packing it in against SLU.

I did like what French did last night a couple times - just jump higher than everyone else and dunk it

6 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

For those that claim blaming the refs is bad sportsmanship, sour grapes, etc., the play by play summary says otherwise, and confirms the eye test watching the game.

1.  In the first half Hasahn French was whistled for 1 phantom offensive foul in open court on an Academy Award level acting job by a Duquesne player. That was one of French's 2 first half fouls.  French was whistled for his 2nd foul at 10:59 with the score 15-14 Duquesne.  French returned at 3:55, having spent 7:04 on the bench, with the score 31-24 Duquesne.  While French was confined to the bench in "foul trouble," Duquesne outscored SLU 16-10.

2.  In the second half Javonte Perkins was whistled for his 3rd and 4th fouls at 16:55 and 15:05, had to be removed from the game at 15:05 with the score 50-48 Duquesne.  At least one of those fouls, as I recall, was an A10 zebra special touch foul.  Perkins returned to the game at 8:40, having been confined to the bench for 6:25, with the score 64-54 Duquesne.

Thus, while French and Perkins were confined to the bench in foul trouble, Duquesne outscored SLU  by 14 points, 30-16.  Final Score:  Duquesne 82 SLU 68, a 14 point deficit.

Res Ipsa Loquitur.

Ballgame.

There are very valid reasons Coach Ford was livid with the officiating during the game, and that Dr. Chaifetz tweeted his objections to the officiating.  Dan McLaughlin and Scott Highmark on last night's Fox Sports Midwest telecast commented re the officiating, and one of them noted that SLU has contacted the A10 Commissioner re the officiating.

Admittedly the SLU team did not play well last night, was off, and frankly was outplayed.  But it cannot be reasonably disputed that SLU was playing 5 on 8.  That didn't help either.

SLU has never gotten a fair shake from the zebras in this de facto East Coast bus league.  But SLU has no better and available place to go.  So we are stuck, and it can be frustrating.

-I am just catching up so perhaps you address this and I haven't gotten to it yet, do want to address that foul #1 falls into the category of the most stupid, unacceptable, ridiculous, stupid fouls of all and that being fouling a 3pt shooter with 2 on the shot clock? we don't know if the game changes with him in the game but that first foul is not forgivable in my book  - also French had 3 fouls at the end of the game and played 31 minutes, while the second foul was horrible, it should have only been his first as the first should never happen

-if the stat was kept, perhaps it is and I have not found it, I imagine French's percent of blocks to blocks attempted is not good

5 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I am just catching up so perhaps you address this and I haven't gotten to it yet, do want to address that foul #1 falls into the category of the most stupid, unacceptable, ridiculous, stupid fouls of all and that being fouling a 3pt shooter with 2 on the shot clock? we don't know if the game changes with him in the game but that first foul is not forgivable in my book  - also French had 3 fouls at the end of the game and played 31 minutes, while the second foul was horrible, it should have only been his first as the first should never happen

-if the stat was kept, perhaps it is and I have not found it, I imagine French's percent of blocks to blocks attempted is not good

French fouling the 3 point shooter was a boo boo, agreed.  So it's not all on the A10 refs. 

But a lot of it is IMO.

3 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

He shouldn't have jumped but that shouldn't be a foul in all of basketball. 

If it's in the A10 and it's SLU, it's all but guaranteed that the A10 zebra is going to call it.  I don't object much to that one, not nearly as much as (1) the ref calling the phantom "offensive foul" on French for which the Duquesne guy should be nominated for an Academy Award at the Oscars Sunday night;  (2) Weathers' over the back mugging of Yuri Collins, no call.  Those were both in plain view, especially the mugging of Yuri.  

When the refs call phantom fouls on French and also last night on Perkins, that really hurt any chance SLU had to win that game.

The A10 ref inconsistency is evident.  The same game was simply not called at both ends of the court last night.

6 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

He shouldn't have jumped but that shouldn't be a foul in all of basketball. 

Totally agree. When a defensive player bumps a shooter well after the shot has  been released and has no bearing on the shot it should be a play on. Many times the shooter causes the contact. 

4 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

If it's in the A10 and it's SLU, it's all but guaranteed that the A10 zebra is going to call it.  I don't object much to that one, not nearly as much as (1) the ref calling the phantom "offensive foul" on French for which the Duquesne guy should be nominated for an Academy Award at the Oscars Sunday night;  (2) Weathers' over the back mugging of Yuri Collins, no call.  Those were both in plain view, especially the mugging of Yuri.  

When the refs call phantom fouls on French and also last night on Perkins, that really hurt any chance SLU had to win that game.

The A10 ref inconsistency is evident.  The same game was simply not called at both ends of the court last night.

It wasn't a phantom call on French for the moving screen. The defender clearly tripped on french's right foot. It was called offensive because french was still shuffling his feet right before the defender tripped on him. That's on the ball-handler to wait until French is fully set. 

The moving screen call on Bell was worse. 

10 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

It wasn't a phantom call on French for the moving screen. The defender clearly tripped on french's right foot. It was called offensive because french was still shuffling his feet right before the defender tripped on him. That's on the ball-handler to wait until French is fully set. 

The moving screen call on Bell was worse. 

Why do refs call offensive fouls on "moving screens" when there is no contact?  Is that really a foul?  These A10 refs love to call fouls on SLU on moving screens, clearly pass on Dayton's Obi Toppin, who could have fouled out of the earlier game vs. SLU on moving screens alone.

Selective enforcement, double standard ...

3 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Why do refs call offensive fouls on "moving screens" when there is no contact?  Is that really a foul?  These A10 refs love to call fouls on SLU on moving screens, clearly pass on Dayton's Obi Toppin, who could have fouled out of the earlier game vs. SLU on moving screens alone.

Selective enforcement, double standard ...

Rewatch the play and look at French's right foot. It clearly makes contact with the defender. 

Just now, Bay Area Billiken said:

Why do refs call offensive fouls on "moving screens" when there is no contact?  Is that really a foul?

The problem is that when the defender tries to adjust by going around the set player and then the player moves then the defender is impeded so yes it is a foul.  If you did not have the foul the set player would be continuously  moving between the ball handler and the defender for the entire possession.  Moving screens are a good foul to call but sometimes the refs call it when it is not really a moving screen.

7 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

The problem is that when the defender tries to adjust by going around the set player and then the player moves then the defender is impeded so yes it is a foul.  If you did not have the foul the set player would be continuously  moving between the ball handler and the defender for the entire possession.  Moving screens are a good foul to call but sometimes the refs call it when it is not really a moving screen.

Another question:  What happened to the flop as an area of emphasis?  That Duquesne guy acted like he had been shot, obvious embellishment.

I know about the warnings given for flops.  What happened to a warning to the Duke on French's offensive foul re the screen?