2020 A10 Games and Comments

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Curious to see how we'll match up against Dayton's starting 5. 

Who guards Toppin, Mikesell and Landers?  If I had to guess, I'd say Bell, French, Goodwin.  If Toppin is working Bell over early, Perkins might get an early look and guard Mikesell, shifting French over to Toppin.  Obviously, this assumes we go M2M.

Yuri gonna have to do a defensive number on Crutcher like he did Gilyard. 

Edit: On offense, I'd like to see Bell go at Toppin early and maybe get a foul or two on Toppin.

2 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Curious to see how we'll match up against Dayton's starting 5. 

Who guards Toppin, Mikesell and Landers?  If I had to guess, I'd say Bell, French, Goodwin.  If Toppin is working Bell over early, Perkins might get an early look and guard Mikesell, shifting French over to Toppin.  Obviously, this assumes we go M2M.

Yuri gonna have to do a defensive number on Crutcher like he did Gilyard. 

Edit: On offense, I'd like to see Bell go at Toppin early and maybe get a foul or two on Toppin.

i think we may see some zone, protect french and bell a bit

14 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

i think we may see some zone, protect french and bell a bit

Agree with this thought.  Play it until Dayton's shooters move you out of the zone (which could be pretty quickly given how they shoot).

Edit:  This might be a game where Toppin gets his, but we make a concerted effort to shut down the other 4 guys on the court. 

58 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Agree with this thought.  Play it until Dayton's shooters move you out of the zone (which could be pretty quickly given how they shoot).

Edit:  This might be a game where Toppin gets his, but we make a concerted effort to shut down the other 4 guys on the court. 

I disagree.  Dayton would have a field day from 3.  We already struggle to cover the 3 point shot, so zoning up Dayton would only make it easier for them.

11 minutes ago, Billikens4life said:

I disagree.  Dayton would have a field day from 3.  We already struggle to cover the 3 point shot, so zoning up Dayton would only make it easier for them.

Dayton looks invincible in this 2H.

VCU is dead.  

12 minutes ago, Billikens4life said:

Toppin is just rim running and Santos-Silva can't keep up.  Ankle's clearly fine. Not sure he's guardable at this level.

Assume we're going to slow the game down, post up French and Bell a lot and force Toppin to play defense. Try to get him in foul trouble.

26 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Someone convince me we don’t match up well with Dayton. We defend the 3 we win. It’s as simple as that. They won’t be able to keep Goodwin off the boards

I won't say we don't match up well, but Crutcher is dynamic. Landers is a 6'5" load who can hit the 3. Mikesell is a tough cover for us since we don't have a good matchup against him. Toppin is Toppin.  They shoot like crazy from 3.  This is a tough matchup for our guys. 

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/28465975/ranking-top-25-players-college-basketball-two-months-2019-20-season

ESPN article about the top 25 players so far this season. 1 is coming to Chaifetz this Friday and #2 already played here this season. Wiley from Auburn and Tinkle from Oregon State (beat them last year) also made the list.