Central Arkansas from da' couch in MD ....

Taj79

Sorry, was watching the Pitt game at work, had a meeting and never made it back.  But all I'll say there is the refs took that one away in the first half.  The ticky-tack nature of the fouls, added to the "perception fouls" ---- the ones where the ref 'thinks' he sees something ---- killed our whole front line.  Yet we still shoulda won.  Oh well.

Yesterday, i watched tape-delayed without knowing the final.  Holiday travel needs.  Ergo, no comments during the GDT. I will give da'Bears their due ---- the first half, with our helter-skelter play and turnovers, and their three-point shooting, well they played well enough to be where they were.  Down just one with ten to play or so.  But the superior team with the deeper bench won out.  Just some observations, food for thought .....

Is it me or does Goodwin play better with Isabell on the bench?  When Tramaine is not there, and Goodwin reverts back to leader of the pack, his aggression and results seem to grown exponentially.  Things seem a lot more natural flow when that is the case.  I can't recall but did our winning spurt .... Goodwin three, French dunk, Goodwin and-one .... all occur with Tramaine on the bench?  I can't exactly recall but Goodwin, with the ball in his hands, is much better than the Goodwin playing off the ball.

Tramiane hit some big shots .... a pair of threes and perfect at the line.  His assist to Gordon for the dunk was pretty.  But it appears to this observer that a lot of the stagnant, bouncing ball-dribble around on offense, occurs with Tramiane in there.  We need him to go as far as we want this year but that work in progress remains.  

Hmark made back-to-back comments about Gordon ----- he is not used to playing this many consecutive minutes and he needs his conditioning improved.  Okay, I get it ----Webster Groves probably ran folks out of the gym early and Caerte'Are sat some but come on big fella ---- we need you.  I think that could be a problem going forward and lazy or tired folks tend to commit lazy and tired fouls.  And as someone pointed out in the GDT, we are severely weakened without Santos and Welmer on the front line.But Gordon is a stud!

Hasahn is also like Goodwin and showing signs of coming back to last year's form.  He just needs to slow down some.  

Jones was good but he wasn't 22 points good.  Almost everyone of his drives to the basket favored his right hand and at least two of his 'lazy' layup shots came from  that right hand.  Even when he didn't shoot, it seemed he was driving left-to-right and then passing out to the open shooter for the threes in the first half.  And he did this to Goodwin, Isabell and even Bess in that half.  In the second half, especially with Thatch on him, Fred seemed to overplay to the right and Jones didn't do as much damage.  That allowed our secondary defenders to stay closer to the shooters and alter open looks. Their shooting percentage from three dropped dramatically in the second half.  That and tired legs --- Hmark pointed out they don't go as deep and with Koval in foul trouble, they lost the illusion of having a rim protector then.

We shut down Kayouloud and Koval very well.  An average game by either closes the score some.  Combined they scored 10, 14 off their averages.  It did not dawn on me Scottie Pippin went to Central Arkansas when it was NAIA.  How does Koyouloud go from Oak Hill to Central Arkansas?  That's pretty amazing ---- sure he only averaged 4 ppg at Oak Hill ....but it's OAK HILL.  I'd take him.

A win is good.  Even though they kept it close, I never felt a win was in doubt.  This team seems content to play to the level of the competition.  I saw them in person at Seton Hall and they were dominant there until the Hall's final run.  Runs always happen so the need for a killer instinct remains crucial.  The Hall game reminded me of VaTech at the Garden last year.  It seems to me the key is staying on the court and avoid the really stupid fouls.  We were 19-of-24 at  at the line last night when you take French's 3-for-8 out.  That's 79.2% and it appears Hasahn is really trying. 

A 'bucket list' check mark will be achieved next Saturday when I get to witness the Bills in person against  Butler at what appears to be a sold out Chaifetz.  Can't wait.  SLUSignGuy says the Fieldhouse at 2.  That's where I'll be.  Hope I can meet many of my fellow MBMs there.  I'll be the guy in Billiken white .......... holding hands with kshoe and discussing soccer in depth with skip.  Sadly, slu72 won't be there, he's working his lifeguard gig in Savannah and couldn't get off.  We'll also be celebrating SLUSignGuy's CLIO Award nomination for his GEICO Weightlifter/sprinter commercial.  Handshakes are welcome; spitting in my face is not.  Only thing I do ask is be nice to Mrs. Taj, she puts up with enough already being married to me.

Can't wait.

Agree on JGood playing w/Isabell. Might want to find a formula where they play together for about 10 mpg. We also seem to function more smoothly w/JGood running the point.

My two takeaways from a DVR watched game were:

1) not enough points from our fastbreaks and off of the TO's we create. Can't recall how many times we turned it over with a chance at easy points, but I do recall those were the times I was yelling at the TV and refreshing my scotch tumbler. JGood was guilty a couple of times of a Malik dozer rush to the hoop and ran smack into a brick wall or kicked the ball OB. 

2) for the 2nd game in a row a quick PG was chewing us up on dribble drives to the hoop and getting layups. After shutting down Powell in the SH game, I'm stumped as to how the PITT and CA guy made getting to the hole look easy. Don't know what Butler's PG does, but if he's a rabbit quick he's got to be licking his chops. 

Travel safe Mr and Mrs Taj. Chaifetz will impress you. I hope a win over Butler completes a good trip. 

7 minutes ago, Billboy1 said:

Chemistry is building.

It seems to be improving. I'll grant you that, and it was good seeing Isabell and JGood hit those 3s. It's just that JGood looks more like last year when he's running the show. He also seems to bring out the best in French. 

I thought the first 12 minutes or so of the second half against Pitt was the best all around basketball Goodwin played this season. He was hitting the offensive glass, distributing the ball, protecting the ball, got to the rim and played outstanding  defense. I thought it was the best all around ball the team played all year. The Billikens out scored Pitt by 7. That was all with Isaball and Goodwin playing together.

Littlebill likes this

12 hours ago, Taj79 said:

A 'bucket list' check mark will be achieved next Saturday when I get to witness the Bills in person against  Butler at what appears to be a sold out Chaifetz.  

-at this moment not even close and who would pay $35 a ticket for the upper level?

Two equal teams both graded at B (Pitt and SLU) play a close game ...not only in points  but in many other stats...comes down to the final secconds....unsurprisingly both teams come out of the contest graded B....not the A it would take to be ranked....beating an equal in nearly an equal game doesn't move you up in grade or standings.....we possible pick up 1 more vote (the Pittsburgh voter) but a far cry from an additional 160 votes.

2 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

If SLU went 6-0 after receiving votes and we had a solid win over Pitt no doubt we would be ranked. 8+ on Pitt (which we could have done) and an unbeaten record could put us in top 25 coaches and maybe 25 AP

So which one is it? No doubt we’d be ranked or possibly we’d be ranked? Either way, you’re wrong.  

We were one of the last teams receiving votes. A win over Pitt (even a “solid” one) plus a double digit win over Cental Ark would not have made SLU leap frog the other 15 or so teams in front of us.

27 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

So which one is it? No doubt we’d be ranked or possibly we’d be ranked? Either way, you’re wrong.  

We were one of the last teams receiving votes. A win over Pitt (even a “solid” one) plus a double digit win over Cental Ark would not have made SLU leap frog the other 15 or so teams in front of us.

I think we lucked out with no losses since we weren’t in a tournament. Teams I think that are better than us were handed 2 losses in them

5 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

If you are an engineer I'm Marlon Brando's illegitimate son.....

i assume you have a lot of  really cool godfather stuff.