GFO remodeling/ new building

It has been talked about for years with nothing concrete. SLU really lets gfo go which makes sense that there is a long term plan to EVENTUALLY get rid of it. It's such a large space with relatively little housing. It's difficult to make "athlete only" dorms because the NCAA requires all dorms/res halls to be 51% general population. Also when and if gfo gets demolished you'll displace a good amount of people for probably a year or two while something gets rebuilt which could potentially be an issue. I believe there are plans in place to have an athlete only dining hall by 2020 that will provide 2 free meals a day which is needed in this day and age to catch up with competition. 

GFO is not scheduled to be redone in the next 5 years per the most recent plan from what I've heard. The next major building project on campus pertains to a STEM dorm on the site of Tegeler field. The athlete dining hall is on the horizon, but GFO will likely be around a bit longer. 

1 hour ago, johnbj14 said:

GFO is not scheduled to be redone in the next 5 years per the most recent plan from what I've heard. The next major building project on campus pertains to a STEM dorm on the site of Tegeler field. The athlete dining hall is on the horizon, but GFO will likely be around a bit longer. 

This is dumb. T ford needs to show them how Ok state operates. 

ChangeOfPace likes this

I just checked the most recent Village Appartment rates.  OMG!  Sticker shock!  It is $5190 for a Quad apartment.  I believe 18 years ago it was $2200 for a semester.

Does anyone know if that $5190 is actually for both semesters combined?  That would be a much more reasonable price otherwise I do not know how anyone could afford that.  $5190 for 9 months would be $576 a month.

Nope it is for a semester. GFO was like 4,000 a semester when I was there (graduated in '16). They did offer an incentive for 2-3000 off for upperclassmen if they lived on campus to fill up the complexes so sophomores had to live in the new dorms the year after I left. I don't know if they still do it.

11 minutes ago, Matty Light said:

I just checked the most recent Village Appartment rates.  OMG!  Sticker shock!  It is $5190 for a Quad apartment.  I believe 18 years ago it was $2200 for a semester.

Does anyone know if that $5190 is actually for both semesters combined?  That would be a much more reasonable price otherwise I do not know how anyone could afford that.  $5190 for 9 months would be $576 a month.

Also keep in mind that is per student. So SLU essentially charges $4500/month rent for the quads since each student pays $5190 per semester.

Question for those who follow it more closely, I know that Grand Forest at one point wasn't University owned. Could the University "sell" Grand Forest to a developer who develops a really nice apartment building or whatever form they want it to take that ends up being where all of the athletes live? So essentially working around the rule, the intended purpose of the development would be for housing of the athletes. but done by an outside developer.

14 minutes ago, BourbanStreet said:

Nope it is for a semester. GFO was like 4,000 a semester when I was there (graduated in '16). They did offer an incentive for 2-3000 off for upperclassmen if they lived on campus to fill up the complexes so sophomores had to live in the new dorms the year after I left. I don't know if they still do it.

I know GFO is old, but the Village is now 20 years old. What kind of condition are those apartments in now? 

24 minutes ago, FromDaEastSide said:

I know GFO is old, but the Village is now 20 years old. What kind of condition are those apartments in now? 

I wouldn't take a black light in a lot of them. 

32 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

My ex-girlfriend was one of the first residents there.  My DNA is all over that mofo.

I assume you had affirmative consent to paint those walls? 

2 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Oh, I never actually had sex there.

likely back in box's heavy chewing tobacco days when he would spit constantly and sometimes miss his spittoon.   totally understand.  

2 hours ago, FromDaEastSide said:

I worked at SLU for two summers for Res Life, on their furniture crew. This would've been 2003 and 2004. The Village Apartments were built on the cheap and went up quickly. It's easier to tell when they're empty, but I lived there for 2 years, as well. They're just not very solid structures. There were plenty of units in rough shape back in my time; I can only imagine what they're like now, no matter how many cosmetic and furnishing upgrades they do.

Grand Forest was even worse. I was embarrassed that we had to take recruits there 15 years ago, let alone now. They need to level the whole development and build new, modern apartments. Guaranteed spot for athletes, and figure out a good system for the rest of the units (i.e. over half), like giving priority to good students, Presidential scholars, whatever.