Roster Holes

WVBilliken

Looking at the roster for next season is a bit scary.  The front court is awesome and could be scary good.   The back court ...... well it is obvious that a lot of help is needed.  It could be scary bad.

PG ----- Goodwin (and right now he is clearly more of a combo guard)

SG ----- Thatch

SF ----- Bess, Johnson, Pearson (sure, Bess might be a SG, if we have a true top notch point guard, but not there now)

PF ----- Gordon, French, Foreman

C  ----- Santos, Welmer (not sure where to put Welmer, but assume he remains given the roster openings)

So Ford and his coaches have a lot of work to do.  A JC and high school PG seems to be the obvious critical need.  Then for the 3rd spot a 3 pt shooter and if not that, maybe the best available transfer.  But my, this could be an NCAA team if a top notch PG or two could be brought in this Spring, preferrably at least one that can both handle the rock and hit the three consistently.  Not too much to ask ..........

WV,  a question for you.  Why do you have French as a PF?  Although there are questions about positions nowadays,  French and Foreman were both  clearly in the 4/5 slots.  Given that,  it was French who was the man in the middle, blocking shots and making short hooks in the paint.  If you want to keep Welmer in your projection (a point I disagree with) then he and French need to be swapped position wise.  Otherwise, I like your analysis.

Seems to be his natural position.  Was listed as a PF by all the recruiting services.  Also, hoping Santos is a stud.  Given all that, it is clear SLU could start 3 next year who are traditionally PFs ...... Gordon, French and  Foreman.  Seems Gordon can hit the mid range shot.  And Welmer played the center slot last season but he could play the 3, 4 or 5.

16 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Does anyone know if Bishop is gone?

All the players are no longer enrolled but we don't know for sure that he's not coming back. He could have gotten his suspension reduced I guess. Cusumano says he's gone though and Durando has basically quit trying to get info so we don't know for sure but it seems like he's likely gone.

20 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

All the players are no longer enrolled but we don't know for sure that he's not coming back. He could have gotten his suspension reduced I guess. Cusumano says he's gone though and Durando has basically quit trying to get info so we don't know for sure but it seems like he's likely gone.

He's still got a pic of him in SLU gear as his profile pic, and still says SLU basketball #11 in his bio so maybe he's hoping he can come back next fall or something

On 2/13/2018 at 8:39 PM, WVBilliken said:

Looking at the roster for next season is a bit scary.  The front court is awesome and could be scary good.   The back court ...... well it is obvious that a lot of help is needed.  It could be scary bad.

PG ----- Goodwin (and right now he is clearly more of a combo guard)

SG ----- Thatch

SF ----- Bess, Johnson, Pearson (sure, Bess might be a SG, if we have a true top notch point guard, but not there now)

PF ----- Gordon, French, Foreman

C  ----- Santos, Welmer (not sure where to put Welmer, but assume he remains given the roster openings)

So Ford and his coaches have a lot of work to do.  A JC and high school PG seems to be the obvious critical need.  Then for the 3rd spot a 3 pt shooter and if not that, maybe the best available transfer.  But my, this could be an NCAA team if a top notch PG or two could be brought in this Spring, preferrably at least one that can both handle the rock and hit the three consistently.  Not too much to ask ..........

I think is the right approach.  A 5th year transfer would also be welcome.  Really, if we just bring in 1 impact perimeter player to replace Roby we would fine, as I think Thatch and Pearson will be more than sufficient off the bench in year 1.

If Welmer can't return, I'd like to see the staff go after another transfer that would sit for a year, preferably a big. 

14 minutes ago, SShoe said:

I think is the right approach.  A 5th year transfer would also be welcome.  Really, if we just bring in 1 impact perimeter player to replace Roby we would fine, as I think Thatch and Pearson will be more than sufficient off the bench in year 1.

If Welmer can't return, I'd like to see the staff go after another transfer that would sit for a year, preferably a big. 

Coach will have a large task putting together a cohesive unit on the floor next season.  Assume Bess, Foreman, French, Goodwin, and Johnson all return. That means 8 players who didn't see game action this season will be added to the mix.  Sure Santos has practiced and Welmer had last year in Ford's system, but neither practiced with the first unit.  Coach will need to wear his hard hat next season. 

6 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Coach will have a large task putting together a cohesive unit on the floor next season.  Assume Bess, Foreman, French, Goodwin, and Johnson all return. That means 8 players who didn't see game action this season will be added to the mix.  Sure Santos has practiced and Welmer had last year in Ford's system, but neither practiced with the first unit.  Coach will need to wear his hard hat next season. 

What are you talking about? He put a cohesive unit on the floor this season with 8 players! Add Thatch, gordon and Pearson to our guard/forward core replacing Roby and Hines. We will be in fine shape without adding any grad or juco transfers 

22 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

We return a pretty strong nucleus, much better than the current top two teams in the league. URI figures to take a big step back after losing their top four scorers - in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Hurley decides this would be a good time to bolt if he gets the chance. And Bona-welding loses their two-man team. Their creepy coach, however, is not likely to escape. He's stuck in Olean. :o

29 minutes ago, ACE said:

We return a pretty strong nucleus, much better than the current top two teams in the league. URI figures to take a big step back after losing their top four scorers - in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Hurley decides this would be a good time to bolt if he gets the chance. And Bona-welding loses their two-man team. Their creepy coach, however, is not likely to escape. He's stuck in Olean. :o

I agree with you on Hurley.  Bolt while you are on top.  Next year Rhody will be bottom half. 

We have a strong nucleus, but Coach will be molding 8 new bodies into the mix.  It's not easy.  This team took a while to gel with significant early hiccups against Detroit, Western and Houston.  I give a pass on Providence and Butler's whoopings.

57 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

What are you talking about? He put a cohesive unit on the floor this season with 8 players! Add Thatch, gordon and Pearson to our guard/forward core replacing Roby and Hines. We will be in fine shape without adding any grad or juco transfers 

To be fair, it was a work in progress. 

Otherwise, I think it will be more than fine since the core of this year's team will still be intact and none of the incoming players will need to be immediate stars.  

7 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I agree with you on Hurley.  Bolt while you are on top.  Next year Rhody will be bottom half. 

We have a strong nucleus, but Coach will be molding 8 new bodies into the mix.  It's not easy.  This team took a while to gel with significant early hiccups against Detroit, Western and Houston.  I give a pass on Providence and Butler's whoopings.

-this season we never had some of the "bodies" to play in games, I trust CFord's recruiting to get us the best he can

-hopefully the "bodies" are available all season

4 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Yes, let’s not waste money on any more recruiting for 2018. Why would anyone in their right mind want to do that?

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

I meant that even before we add any juco or grads we’ll be top tier in the league. 👍🏻

I hope so and don’t disagree but am also worried about how thin we are on shooting/ballhandling. I don’t think this years team would be THAT much better if you replaced Hines and Roby with the incoming recruits. 

Obviously the current players should also improve but I can see the feeling that we absolutely need to add a guard or two.