GDT Dayton vs SLU down the fly boys

CBFan

3 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I thought Ford used his timeouts wisely ---- stemming the tide in the first half and early second when it was needed.  The TV timeouts come at the under 16,12, 8 and 4.  That is 12 time outs per game.  The evolving trend now is to use those team timeouts to extend the game and foul late  in a close game.  Dayton was not close because Grant didn't stem the tide against him.  Sometimes, you don't have the luxury of the ending if you don't get there during the game. My buddy in Dayton kept texting me about Dayton being in a better position and look what happened.  Maybe Anthony thinks he takes his three home to use for next game.  I thought Ford outcoached Grant yesterday.  Maybe Grant is still relearning the college game.  The only thing i wish we could change was last Tuesday and fouling before Jenkins launched his game-tying three.  

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.  The better team won yesterday.  Darnell Davis is not a main guy.  Xeryius Williams has regressed.  Davis and Crutcher are freshmen.  Cunningham is a great cog piece and also not a go-to guy. Freak 2.0 isn't quite freak (lower case) yet.  The Czech was useless. Crosby played two minutes.  Landers is a decent glue guy but not an aircraft carrier.  This  is a down year for the Flyers, make no mistake especially with where they have been with Archie and company the last few.

Shades of Rick M - he would use his timeouts whenever he felt he needed to keep the game from getting out of hand.  He did not care if he used them all up in the first half or not.  As far as he was concerned you keep the game from getting away and then worry about the ending.  If you don't stop the bleeding you the end of the game may not matter.  Ford was working out of Rick M playbook.  If Grant did not use his timeouts then he was like the baseball manager who saves his closer for the ninth but the game is lost in the 7th making the ninth irrelevant.  

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Dayton Coach Grant is under fire for not calling any timeouts.  Even the CBSSN announcer mentioned it.

Perhaps he thought calling timeouts would help the Billiken Ironmen with the depleted bench, give them a bit of rest.

I don't see that coach in a vest for much longer.

2 hours ago, Box and Won said:

image.thumb.png.59aa39410c60e8fb26c7a8853a0ed6d4.png

Another good photo from yesterday.  I'm getting a little emotional.

I'm glad there are no females around the Coach, otherwise Team Pestello/Kratsky/Weathers would place him on double secret probation!

2 hours ago, Box and Won said:

image.thumb.png.59aa39410c60e8fb26c7a8853a0ed6d4.png

Another good photo from yesterday.  I'm getting a little emotional.

Looking at this picture and the one with JG in the student section, makes me wonder if Dr. P has forgotten the press conference a couple of years ago when TF was introduced as our HC.  Isn't this exactly what the school hoped would happen?  Isn't this what students should be doing to show school spirit?  How else would they do it?  Sitting in the Pius XII library?

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

I thought Ford used his timeouts wisely ---- stemming the tide in the first half and early second when it was needed.  The TV timeouts come at the under 16,12, 8 and 4.  That is 12 time outs per game. 

I agree he used the TO's well, but my gosh, we can't come out that flat again.  Both halves.  Ford gave his reason for being flat at the start of the game, but we have to get past the 'last game blues'.  Second half we started the same.  

Coming out flat ---- I have never understood that comment and that goes all the way back to Kevin Lisch, Larry Hughes, Erwin Claggett and beyond.  Maybe because I don't play the game is the reason that I don't understand but I remember when I did play the game, bursting from the tunnel onto the floor was the greatest of adrenalin rushes.  Maybe it does get old after a while but who knows -- it didn't for me. 

I believe this team does come out flat every game because being hyperactive can lead to being over-aggressive and that can mean a few more fouls which we cannot afford given our depth.  I understand too just how down the guys were after VCU.  So I get that.  The second half start didn't concern me ---- we had six points of cushion and good coaches make halftime adjustments -- I was waiting for ours to kick in.  Ford adjusted -- as cheese said.  After that, Grant never adjusted.  Checkmate, Travis. 

The biggest scare I have about being flat, at any time, is if we can recover from it.  The game is a game of runs more times than not.  We got this one.  We may not get others.  Foulign a VCU kid at the end would have helped ease that sting, I think.  And on a final note, how was that foul on French late not an intentional one?  The one after he banked in two?  He was nowhere near the ball and we all knew what the Dayton game plan was?  That's two shots plus the ball.  Cheers to the refs fro reversing the "fake shot" by Davis for three free throws.  But without a ball in play, c'mon man!  I also think everytiem someone grabs a player BEFORE the ball is entered on to the court should be an intentional one. 

23 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Coming out flat ---- I have never understood that comment and that goes all the way back to Kevin Lisch, Larry Hughes, Erwin Claggett and beyond.  Maybe because I don't play the game is the reason that I don't understand but I remember when I did play the game, bursting from the tunnel onto the floor was the greatest of adrenalin rushes.  Maybe it does get old after a while but who knows -- it didn't for me. 

I believe this team does come out flat every game because being hyperactive can lead to being over-aggressive and that can mean a few more fouls which we cannot afford given our depth.  I understand too just how down the guys were after VCU.  So I get that.  The second half start didn't concern me ---- we had six points of cushion and good coaches make halftime adjustments -- I was waiting for ours to kick in.  Ford adjusted -- as cheese said.  After that, Grant never adjusted.  Checkmate, Travis. 

The biggest scare I have about being flat, at any time, is if we can recover from it.  The game is a game of runs more times than not.  We got this one.  We may not get others.  Foulign a VCU kid at the end would have helped ease that sting, I think.  And on a final note, how was that foul on French late not an intentional one?  The one after he banked in two?  He was nowhere near the ball and we all knew what the Dayton game plan was?  That's two shots plus the ball.  Cheers to the refs fro reversing the "fake shot" by Davis for three free throws.  But without a ball in play, c'mon man!  I also think everytiem someone grabs a player BEFORE the ball is entered on to the court should be an intentional one. 

Ford doesn't have many horses, so changing the chemistry when the team is flat, is tough. He has Forman going and that has given the team a shot in the arm. JJ can sometimes pick the team up with his 3s. He has effectively used timeouts to make adjustments and wake them up.