GDT, exhibition enjoy the season and forget about suspensions that have not happened

CBFan

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, this game was definitely an underwhelming W. Every time it looked we were going to put them away for good, they came back. Not having seen it, but just from the GDT and the live stats play by play we missed a lot of bunnies and FT's. Sure we'd all have felt better if we'd hit the 80 mark and this is why we didn't. Still, allowing them to rain down 3's on us to stay in this thing is also disconcerting. I'm sure we're going to run into a lot of better 3 pt teams than HS. Did we just not defend them, or did HS just get hot ala the blind squirrel that finds not just one nut but a whole bunch?

Can't use being shorthanded as an excuse for this game, but it will definitely be a factor down the road. Too few guys playing too many minutes will wear on a team. Remember how we closed the '13-14 season with basically a 6 man rotation. The tank was below the E mark.

3 hours ago, DoctorB said:

I was underwhelmed by what I saw Saturday, for starters.  We were thin, with 9 players dressed for warm-ups.  If you read the article on Foreman last week, you will know he expressed a lot of nervousness about this game:  it showed, but I can tell you he has really dropped some weight and looks much thinner.  He was aggressive and I like his upside.  He, Bess, and a few others missed a bunch of lay-ups.  Getting to the rim should not be an issue with these guys, although apparently finishing will.  I thought the 2 freshmen were extremely impressive specimens.  It's a bit unfair to go further considering the guys who were attempting to guard them.  Their press, by the way, gave us some problems.  Scoring was also an issue, so if AD does not return that will really impact this team.  Overall, this is very much a work in progress and I would give them about a C for this first game.  MEH??  As I told my friend at the game -- I think by about February we should be pretty decent in A10 play, but probably not a top-3 team in the A10, which is what I was vaguely hoping for.

ps: whoever said something about Harris Stowe being pretty good -- ??? they are terrible and we should definitely light them up for at least 80 or more.  They made numerous 20-25 foot 3-pointers to keep them close, which was disconcerting, but I would not allow that to cause anyone to think they were "pretty good."

Ditto on just about everything.  Yeah, someone said Harris Stowe looked good, but I don't think Harris Stowe would win too many metro STL high school tournaments. 

My biggest ? was why Anthony only played 9 minutes. 

The poor FT shooting has already been discussed.  Johnson never got to the line.  Had he made it there, the team % would have been better.

One other item of note is that we only got 10 bench points, 7 from Hines.  If AD and Bishop are absent for awhile - ouch on the bench.  No one was in real foul trouble Saturday, but foul trouble will happen. 

2 fast break points also raised my eyebrows.  Lots of room for improvement.  I know Ford wants to run, but that didn't happen Saturday.

It will be interesting to see how French, Bess, Foreman and Anthony work inside against Seattle's 7'3" pivot. 

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Ditto on just about everything.  Yeah, someone said Harris Stowe looked good, but I don't think Harris Stowe would win too many metro STL high school tournaments. 

My biggest ? was why Anthony only played 9 minutes. 

The poor FT shooting has already been discussed.  Johnson never got to the line.  Had he made it there, the team % would have been better.

One other item of note is that we only got 10 bench points, 7 from Hines.  If AD and Bishop are absent for awhile - ouch on the bench.  No one was in real foul trouble Saturday, but foul trouble will happen. 

2 fast break points also raised my eyebrows.  Lots of room for improvement.  I know Ford wants to run, but that didn't happen Saturday.

It will be interesting to see how French, Bess, Foreman and Anthony work inside against Seattle's 7'3" pivot. 

My gut feeling about Anthony is he didn't play because he just isn't that good.

I hope I'm wrong but i wasn't impressed when he signed and his Seton Hall stats aren't anything to get excited about.

Hopefully over time I will be proven wrong.

5 hours ago, slu72 said:

Yeah, this game was definitely an underwhelming W. Every time it looked we were going to put them away for good, they came back. Not having seen it, but just from the GDT and the live stats play by play we missed a lot of bunnies and FT's. Sure we'd all have felt better if we'd hit the 80 mark and this is why we didn't. Still, allowing them to rain down 3's on us to stay in this thing is also disconcerting. I'm sure we're going to run into a lot of better 3 pt teams than HS. Did we just not defend them, or did HS just get hot ala the blind squirrel that finds not just one nut but a whole bunch?

Can't use being shorthanded as an excuse for this game, but it will definitely be a factor down the road. Too few guys playing too many minutes will wear on a team. Remember how we closed the '13-14 season with basically a 6 man rotation. The tank was below the E mark.

They made 3 or 4 from about 23-25 feet and a 26 foot shot off the backboard. The key issues from my observations at the game were missed layups--shots that those players will make most of the time and missed free throws. If we clean up those two things, and part of the issue may have been a bit of first game adrenaline, we will be a much better and move effective team.

6 hours ago, DoctorB said:

I was underwhelmed by what I saw Saturday, for starters.  We were thin, with 9 players dressed for warm-ups.  If you read the article on Foreman last week, you will know he expressed a lot of nervousness about this game:  it showed, but I can tell you he has really dropped some weight and looks much thinner.  He was aggressive and I like his upside.  He, Bess, and a few others missed a bunch of lay-ups.  Getting to the rim should not be an issue with these guys, although apparently finishing will.  I thought the 2 freshmen were extremely impressive specimens.  It's a bit unfair to go further considering the guys who were attempting to guard them.  Their press, by the way, gave us some problems.  Scoring was also an issue, so if AD does not return that will really impact this team.  Overall, this is very much a work in progress and I would give them about a C for this first game.  MEH??  As I told my friend at the game -- I think by about February we should be pretty decent in A10 play, but probably not a top-3 team in the A10, which is what I was vaguely hoping for.

ps: whoever said something about Harris Stowe being pretty good -- ??? they are terrible and we should definitely light them up for at least 80 or more.  They made numerous 20-25 foot 3-pointers to keep them close, which was disconcerting, but I would not allow that to cause anyone to think they were "pretty good."

They’re not good because they made deep threes?

42 minutes ago, Billikenswin said:

They made 3 or 4 from about 23-25 feet and a 26 foot shot off the backboard. The key issues from my observations at the game were missed layups--shots that those players will make most of the time and missed free throws. If we clean up those two things, and part of the issue may have been a bit of first game adrenaline, we will be a much better and move effective team.

-I hope going forward we make layups and free throws, as to layups we won't play another NAIA school so I would expect the defenses we face to be a bit more difficult, as to free throws, we will be shooting at those same baskets in a bunch of games this season so I hope we improve

-there were many defensive lapses or openings, too

6 minutes ago, wgstl said:

there we go Stu, give it to us. 

stu durando @studurando

FollowingFollowing @studurando
More

SLU starts practice with heavy emphasis on scoring at rim with heavy contact. It was a problem in scrimmage and exhibition.

https://twitter.com/studurando/status/927643548257849344

and everyone is practicing.........

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

He also quoted Ford as saying Bishop and Henriquez would not be available Friday 

1 hour ago, SShoe said:

He did not say that.  He said he did not know if they would be available.

-I looked at Stu's twitter and don't see this, where did Coach Ford get quoted?