Signed Recruit Thread

WVBilliken

For what it's worth, Gordon was quoted in Kvidahl's article (Twitter exchange must've been later): "They were huge, but I just knew I had to start using my skill set," Gordon said.

I like that, because the thing that the little clip above shows is how he figured out how to be a little creative in the post against them. He was 6-8 with 18 points; Cisse and Cockburn combined for 19 points on 9-18 shooting (strangely, they each attempted at least one three-pointer and went a combined 1-6 from the FT line). Cisse may have had those 9 blocks and 11 boards, but he fouled out. Gordon is aware of his more complete game and seems to adapt well to each matchup, whether he's dunking on 6-2 kids from Marquette last week or facing a set of 6-11 bigs last night.

He's a smart, efficient player and I think his scouting reports get overly influenced from his freshman and sophomore years, when he was a gigantic kid who outmuscled everybody, didn't always have a grip on his emotions, and took plays off. As he hasn't grown much taller, he has completely transformed his overall game (and his body), and I don't think opinions have caught up to reflect that.

Zink likes this

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, thetorch said:

IMO kvidahl is an ass. The exchange would not appear unwarranted to me.

Covering HS sports in St. Louis is a tough task. He takes so much heat on Twitter for looking too favorable/unfavorable toward one school or another. I think he's permanently defensive because of that.

He's favorable to SLU and Chaminade, so I don't let the other stuff bother me.

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

Covering HS sports in St. Louis is a tough task. He takes so much heat on Twitter for looking too favorable/unfavorable toward one school or another. I think he's permanently defensive because of that.

He's favorable to SLU and Chaminade, so I don't let the other stuff bother me.

Eastside guys do a better job of it.  Covering HS sports you have to be rah rah, he covers the HS guys like they are pros.  Wrong tact.

I think we got into it on twitter when he remarked that a certain recruit was too good for SLU.  I clapped back a bit and he gave me the I went to slu but they need to know their place.  Back in 07 or 08.  I talk to him at games, he still blocks me.

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

For what it's worth, Gordon was quoted in Kvidahl's article (Twitter exchange must've been later): "They were huge, but I just knew I had to start using my skill set," Gordon said.

I like that, because the thing that the little clip above shows is how he figured out how to be a little creative in the post against them. He was 6-8 with 18 points; Cisse and Cockburn combined for 19 points on 9-18 shooting (strangely, they each attempted at least one three-pointer and went a combined 1-6 from the FT line). Cisse may have had those 9 blocks and 11 boards, but he fouled out. Gordon is aware of his more complete game and seems to adapt well to each matchup, whether he's dunking on 6-2 kids from Marquette last week or facing a set of 6-11 bigs last night.

He's a smart, efficient player and I think his scouting reports get overly influenced from his freshman and sophomore years, when he was a gigantic kid who outmuscled everybody, didn't always have a grip on his emotions, and took plays off. As he hasn't grown much taller, he has completely transformed his overall game (and his body), and I don't think opinions have caught up to reflect that.

Gordon offensively is going to be as crafty in the post as Evans was, but with the size and strength to finish.  He's developed a really varied postgame to adjust to any matchup.  I like seeing French and Foreman take off on drives to the basket, but Gordon will be considerably more effective on these.  Size and skill wise he'll be the best Billiken big man since Bonner.  Defensively he's not going to be strong.  Flashback to when that announcer called us the Pelicans, French and Gordon will be our version of Davis and Cousins, without the 3 point shooting.

On 1/10/2018 at 7:49 AM, Pistol said:

He's saving his energy for Friday, when Sikeston takes on Chaminade down at the Sikeston Field House. CCP won 102-84 last season at home. If there's a stream for that game, I'll try to find a link ahead of time and post it.

On 1/10/2018 at 8:49 AM, JohnnyJumpUp said:

Looks like they will be streaming it live. http://www.chaminade-stl.org/athletics/cspn

38 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Gordon offensively is going to be as crafty in the post as Evans was, but with the size and strength to finish.  He's developed a really varied postgame to adjust to any matchup.  I like seeing French and Foreman take off on drives to the basket, but Gordon will be considerably more effective on these.  Size and skill wise he'll be the best Billiken big man since Bonner.  Defensively he's not going to be strong.  Flashback to when that announcer called us the Pelicans, French and Gordon will be our version of Davis and Cousins, without the 3 point shooting.

Gordon is so much more polished than Bonner was at the same point.  Watching Gordon play I get the feeling that he is a student of the game.

2 hours ago, STLsportsfan said:

If you want to want to watch Gordon and Webster Groves they will play Oak Hill tonight at 9:30 on CBS Sports I believe 

Ya.

This could get ugly.  Oak Hill moved up to 3# in the nation. They will toss out five 4* and one 5*.  Luckily they're not super tall.  Two 4* bigs but none more than 6'7

It's funny to look at their records. WG has played a split of national and local games and is 7-4 (3-0 with Ramey back). Oak Hill is 26-0. They play a crazy amount of games compared to normal HS teams.

8 hours ago, SLU_Lax said:

Much better finish. Gordon looked pretty good playing the 6’10 McCormack from Oak Hill. 

This was the first time I've seen him play. He has skills and potential, but I don't see an instant starter. He looks very good fundamentally, but will need to play with more energy in college.

48 minutes ago, kmbilliken said:

This was the first time I've seen him play. He has skills and potential, but I don't see an instant starter. He looks very good fundamentally, but will need to play with more energy in college.

i think he is bored in HS

1 hour ago, kmbilliken said:

Could be, but here's something to think about.

Over the last two games Gordon is averaging 20 points 9 rebounds. In those two games he was guarded by players that are most likely going to be starters at "big time" programs next year. Also, in those two games he was getting guarded by players much bigger than him.