The truth about Travis ford

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Old guy said:

The guy they hired may be a hidden basketball genius discovered by the headhunter. Let's hope all goes well for them and their expectations (and expenses) are satisfied by their choice. 

Discovered by the headhunter? ...on their current coaching staff? Another waste of money on a "search firm"

we will take it--I thought myself he doesn't handle the coaching very well last season-perfect for slu--no pressure-no media --a chance to relax and learn coaching--it will take two times to the sweet 16 for someone to give ford a chance at a bigger program again--perhaps better assistants will help him--but I think he did struggle  with game management at times last season

8 hours ago, JMM28 said:

Discovered by the headhunter? ...on their current coaching staff? Another waste of money on a "search firm"

JMM search firms can only produce candidates that fit the specifications provided by the client (the school). They provide a number of warm bodies that fit the specs and are interested in the position. The decision is entirely up to the school. If they chose a particular person to hire for the job for whatever reason it is the school's decision. 

9 hours ago, mbart33 said:

we will take it--I thought myself he doesn't handle the coaching very well last season-perfect for slu--no pressure-no media --a chance to relax and learn coaching--it will take two times to the sweet 16 for someone to give ford a chance at a bigger program again--perhaps better assistants will help him--but I think he did struggle  with game management at times last season

He's not going to be a HOF coach, and he did have some questionable games, but he did a pretty good job overall last year. 

12 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

And that's the real naked truth!

Something tells me you caught me again not using the correct word, lol.

I will take my advice to glorydays and google more.

9 minutes ago, jesstess2 said:

Have you ever wondered why we were not satisfied with making the tourney 5/8 years? It's because we should have been in the final four if we had a half decent coach. We had the most talented team in the country, but we lost in the first round.

Tell that to every other team who has one of the most talented teams and doesnt make the final four (Duke, Villanova, Kansas, Kentucky)

64 teams in the tourney and 4 make it. There isn't just 1 talented team in the Tournament

19 minutes ago, jesstess2 said:

Have you ever wondered why we were not satisfied with making the tourney 5/8 years? It's because we should have been in the final four if we had a half decent coach. We had the most talented team in the country, but we lost in the first round.

Duke far and away most talented team in country this season. Is Coach K on the hot seat?

6 minutes ago, jesstess2 said:

At least they compete, every OSU fan knew we had no chance, you guys don't understand how talented our team was, even our rivals Ou agree if we had a coach that could coach somewhat decently we would have been in the final four.

Pretty sure SLU fans knew we couldn't compete against Louisville and some even had doubts against NC State when they were the underdog.

On 3/24/2017 at 9:23 PM, jesstess2 said:

With 3 NBA players that is the least you would expect. As a 5 seed we expected to win a round. We were sadly upset by 12 seed Oregon. Actually we were blown out. I would later realize that the only reason we did halfway decent is because of the talent we had,  not because of our coach. You can have all the faith you want but at the end of the day he jus a recruiter and not a coach. I might also add that with the same team with 3 NBA players we were a 9 seed the next year.

Who are these 3 NBA players?  I'm only counting 2 NBA players (http://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/colleges.cgi?college=okstate) freshman year Marcus Smart and junior year Markel Brown (who isn't on an NBA roster this year).  Maybe you're trying to include freshman year Phil Forte in that list, but I'm not seeing any mock drafts that expect him to go in the draft and it is near impossible for a sub 6 foot SG to make it in the NBA.  Le'Bryan Nash never played an NBA game.  You keep claiming that team was one of the most talented in the country, but there are many teams each year that included 2+ NBA players and the likes of Kentucky, Duke, UCLA, etc. often have many more.  These teams also usually have 2+ others who at least play internationally or in the D League.  I'd argue a final four run for a team with just 2 NBA players is less likely than losing in the 1st round.

For sh*ts, here are some teams in the 2013 NCAA tournament from the South Region alone and the # of NBA players on their rosters:

#1 Kansas (2): Jeff Withey (Sr), Ben McLemore (Fr), many others have played in the D League or are international pros (Elijah Johnson, Nadir Thaarpe, Travis Releford, Perry Ellis, Kevin Young)

#4 Michigan (6): Glenn Robinson III (Fr), Trey Burke (So), Mitch McGary (Fr), Tim Hardaway Jr. (Jr), Nik Stauskas (Fr), Caris Levert (Fr). + other D league & international pros

#6 UCLA (6): Jordan Adams (Fr), Norman Powell (So), Kyle Anderson (Fr), Larry Drew II (Sr), Shabazz Muhammad (Fr), Travis Wear (Jr) + other D league & international pros

#8 UNC (3): PJ Hairston (So), Reggie Bullock (Jr), James Michael McAdoo (So) + other D League & international pros

Two takeaways: Damn that Michigan team was stacked (no surprise they made the National Title game) and Okie State fans had/have unrealistic expectations.

37 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Who are these 3 NBA players?  I'm only counting 2 NBA players (http://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/colleges.cgi?college=okstate) freshman year Marcus Smart and junior year Markel Brown (who isn't on an NBA roster this year).  Maybe you're trying to include freshman year Phil Forte in that list, but I'm not seeing any mock drafts that expect him to go in the draft and it is near impossible for a sub 6 foot SG to make it in the NBA.  Le'Bryan Nash never played an NBA game.  You keep claiming that team was one of the most talented in the country, but there are many teams each year that included 2+ NBA players and the likes of Kentucky, Duke, UCLA, etc. often have many more.  These teams also usually have 2+ others who at least play internationally or in the D League.  I'd argue a final four run for a team with just 2 NBA players is less likely than losing in the 1st round.

For sh*ts, here are some teams in the 2013 NCAA tournament from the South Region alone and the # of NBA players on their rosters:

#1 Kansas (2): Jeff Withey (Sr), Ben McLemore (Fr), many others have played in the D League or are international pros (Elijah Johnson, Nadir Thaarpe, Travis Releford, Perry Ellis, Kevin Young)

#4 Michigan (6): Glenn Robinson III (Fr), Trey Burke (So), Mitch McGary (Fr), Tim Hardaway Jr. (Jr), Nik Stauskas (Fr), Caris Levert (Fr). + other D league & international pros

#6 UCLA (6): Jordan Adams (Fr), Norman Powell (So), Kyle Anderson (Fr), Larry Drew II (Sr), Shabazz Muhammad (Fr), Travis Wear (Jr) + other D league & international pros

#8 UNC (3): PJ Hairston (So), Reggie Bullock (Jr), James Michael McAdoo (So) + other D League & international pros

Two takeaways: Damn that Michigan team was stacked (no surprise they made the National Title game) and Okie State fans had/have unrealistic expectations.

That is some A+ troll feeding.  That troll should be full now.

2 hours ago, jesstess2 said:

I'll just wait until you all are begging to have Travis Ford fired. 

Buddy,  You have some misguided delusion that you had the top talent in the country. You didn't, you didn't even have a response when RUBills above stated the facts proving you wrong. At least Billiken fans realize who we are as a program.  Oklahoma is a 2nd rate sports program. You aren't even the best program in a rinky dink state. Go back home