GDT: 12/22/16 - Ground the Eagles

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Final 66-55, FG 33%, 3 pointers 27%, FT 59%, 14 turnovers, Crawford 3-12 FG 1-4 FT, Hines 2-9 FG, 4 rebounds, 4 assists 3 turnovers.

Looking forward to seeing Bishop back and Hines playing 4 to 5 minutes.

1 hour ago, Billiken Rich said:

Crawford should be benched until he is healthy or has his head right. Start Zeke.

Crawford shot 4/5 from 3 against SIUE

Zeke and Crawford should be on the court together.

The inexplicable Neufeld appearances need to stop. That kid does not need to get minutes, he needs to have good luck in his future endeavors

The problem with benching Crawford, is who takes over his spot? We have a very limited bench. Crawford's scoring is inconsistent to say the least. In this last game against Winthrop he managed 3 out of 12 attempts at a FG, 0 out of 5 attempts at a 3 pt., and 1-4 FT attempts. He did manage to get 5 rebounds but produced nothing else except for 2 PF and 1 TO in the 27 min he played last night. Moore, by the way played 29 minutes last night and Johnson played 25 minutes, Hines played 30 minutes and contributed more than Crawford. Neither Agbeko nor Welmer contributed much last night. Who is there to replace Crawford or Agbeko or Welmer when they are not producing good results in a game.

The seniors have really been disappointing so far and that has been the biggest issue of all the other issues this team has.

Last nights game was there to win and if the seniors contributed very little.

Roby played with a lot of heart but is not talented enough to carry the team.

It was good to see Moore and Johnson out there for a lot of minutes and I hope it continues.

Old Guy is right there is no one to take over for Crawford and I think Mike played with a lot of heart out there he just cannot shoot and more disturbing is missing too many free throws.

Even though Welmer is in a shooting funk play him more this is a lost season anyway.

Just having some fun Soderball, have you noticed you broke me of mentioning playing Neufeld, LOL.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Guys Merry Christmas and all the best to all of you and yours..

We knew this year was not going to be a good one, and it is not. At the very least and for whatever it may be worth it to you Moore and Johnson are improving steadily. Roby is doing OK, and Welmer is fine despite his inconsistency. I like Bishop, and I hope he makes a difference in the Rhode Island game, but that game will most likely be a loss as well. 

All the best and happy thoughts for 2017.

It is not a matter of hate HoosierPal, it is a matter of injury. Crawford has courage and desire, but he just cannot score consistently. About the 2000 minutes he has played, just try to imagine how many of those minutes were played with significant pain. He is indeed a good guy who deserves respect for what he has done.

34 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I didn't think that Neufeld played poorly when he was in last night.

Till last night, I can't remember the last time I thought there was a glimmer of hope for Neufeld.  It still seems like we have three beanpole centers none of whom can play interior defense.  How many of those projects can one team have?

Neufeld had 2 moments where he looked like maybe he could be something but it was not to be - he quickly reverted to his old ability and that was that.  I am not sure Crawford's injury is even the issue anymore - I know some want to give him a pass because of what they think is why he is playing so inconsistently.  I have watched him take off and sail to dunk the ball several times lately - if his leg was still a problem then he would not even attempt to do something like that.  I have no answer as to why his FT shooting has regressed - I guess I would just say it is a head thing.  As far as his 3 pt shooting - how do you go 5-7 the game before and then 3-12 or something like that from the floor last night - it is not an injury thing in my opinion anymore it may just be a head thing.  Last night he got stuffed several times right under the basket on drives - speed was never his thing but he clearly was frustrated with his inability to get the lay up away.  As far as he has played in pain over the year thing - that has nothing to do with the price of eggs now.  He has gotten to play in the games and gotten the minutes on the floor not because he is being successful all the time but because the last 3 years there has not been anybody else to take his place - it is a result of poor recruiting by Crews not his exceptional play. He is an avg role player who when asked to lead the team is being asked to do something unfairly so I will say - he tries hard and good for him but D1 basketball does not give out participation trophies.  He is who he is and trying to make him out to be what he is not is fruitless and as I said unfair to him.

My assessment of this team is that it requires a brand new starting 5 with significantly upgraded athleticism and skill at all positions. Hmm.

I also believe Welmer, Zeke, and Johnson have futures as role players if they choose to accept them.

Those are my deep and novel holiday insights. 

52 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-what is the thought in the band to play 'Another One Bites the Dust' when we are losing by 10 with 1.43 remaining and one of their players commits their 5th foul? just trying to understand so perhaps I can join the effort

I think that's simply standard practice after 5 fouls, much the same as the Jaws theme after 4 fouls. 

What I was wondering was why Crawford didn't simply hold the ball at the end, which I think is proper sportsmanship. As it happened, he got his jock handed to him in front of everyone...twice.

28 minutes ago, bonwich said:

What I was wondering was why Crawford didn't simply hold the ball at the end, which I think is proper sportsmanship. As it happened, he got his jock handed to him in front of everyone...twice.

Ford was encouraging him. I thought the same thing