Welcome to SLU, Carte'Are Gordon!

Pistol

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Bizziken said:

Gordon's game reminds me of someone, but I can't put my finger on it....kinda like DeJuan Blair with better handles 

Zach Randolph and Julius Randle are who he said people compare him to. I think those are fair. 

Edited by Zink
Clarity

8 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

So, is the future brighter now, before Coach Ford has coached a game, or was the future brighter prior to Coach Majerus coaching a game?  On one hand you had a coach that couldn't recruit top talent, but could find diamonds in the rough and could outcoach any opposing coach.  On the other hand you have a coach who can recruit top talent, but has been criticized before for not being the best in game coach.

I have to think the future is brighter now, given what Coach Ford has done recruiting wise, even more so that when we had Coach Majerus.  I say this, because I think the talent we have can get us to a level where we have never been (Sweet 16).  Even Majerus's best teams never made it past the Round of 32.  I think we saw the ceiling of what Coach Majerus was going to do here.  I believe Coach Ford's ceiling is even higher.

The fact that Ford has done this while the stench of Coach Crews's dumpster fire is still in the air is hard to comprehend.  However, I don't think anything illegal is happening.  I think local players have been waiting on a situation where SLU's prospects were looking up and where they could play for a players' coach like Ford.  Despite all his positives, Coach Majerus didn't give off that players' coach feel.  The players had to get to know him before truly respecting what he was doing for them.

If Ford really does start to get the top talent in St. Louis to stay home on a regular basis, and supplements with good recruits from elsewhere, then we are going to be the next Gonzaga or Xavier.

Ford and Majerus have taken two very different approaches. Ford is accumulating talent a lot quicker than RM, but I'm not sure we saw the ceiling of what Majerus could have done here. If Willie hadn't flaked out, who knows, maybe RM's last team gets to the Elite 8. That team, which was already pretty good, with WR would have been pretty awesome. RM had assembled a deep talented roster.

10 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

So, is the future brighter now, before Coach Ford has coached a game, or was the future brighter prior to Coach Majerus coaching a game?  On one hand you had a coach that couldn't recruit top talent, but could find diamonds in the rough and could outcoach any opposing coach.  On the other hand you have a coach who can recruit top talent, but has been criticized before for not being the best in game coach.

I have to think the future is brighter now, given what Coach Ford has done recruiting wise, even more so that when we had Coach Majerus.  I say this, because I think the talent we have can get us to a level where we have never been (Sweet 16).  Even Majerus's best teams never made it past the Round of 32.  I think we saw the ceiling of what Coach Majerus was going to do here.  I believe Coach Ford's ceiling is even higher.

The fact that Ford has done this while the stench of Coach Crews's dumpster fire is still in the air is hard to comprehend.  However, I don't think anything illegal is happening.  I think local players have been waiting on a situation where SLU's prospects were looking up and where they could play for a players' coach like Ford.  Despite all his positives, Coach Majerus didn't give off that players' coach feel.  The players had to get to know him before truly respecting what he was doing for them.

If Ford really does start to get the top talent in St. Louis to stay home on a regular basis, and supplements with good recruits from elsewhere, then we are going to be the next Gonzaga or Xavier.

-----------------

Had Majerus not suffered health problems his/our ceiling would have been much higher those last two tournament seasons.

I'm not ready to weigh-in on whether I'd take Majerus and the Evans/Jett teams vs. Ford and the incoming stars.. but as of right now, if I had to put my life on it, I would go with the former

Wow. I don't even know what to say. I wonder if the local players became Billiken fans during the 3 tourney years. If a kid is 16or 17 now he would have been what 10-14 through those years. At the very least they were old enough to remember and know what can be.

Welcome Mr. Gordon. Can't wait to see you play

11 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Difficult question, I think I'd agree that it is brighter now under Ford than it was under Majerus prior to either coaching a game.  As far as I can recall Majerus didn't do anything to generate more hype after being hired and before coaching his 1st game.  I don't recall if he added any recruits with the exception of maybe Paul Eckerle.  At the time of Majerus hire he had been out of coaching for such a long time, there was some question if he still had "it" as well.  Maybe he still could coach, but would any kids want to play for him.  Ford has already brought in some of the best transfers and gotten verbals from some of the best recruits SLU has ever had.

I am going to disagree that "we saw the ceiling of what Majerus was going to do".  Majerus only had the chance to coach 1 of his NCAAs tournament teams and that team nearly knocked off #1 seeded Michigan State.  If Majerus was coaching maybe SLU makes it further in 2013 or 2014.  Also, if Majerus is still the coach, maybe SLU is able to add better recruits those years to supplement the depth or continue the run of success.  I'd argue that given his coaching ability and prior NCAA success, Majerus actually had a higher ceiling in terms of NCAA wins than Ford.

21 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

draymond?

23 minutes ago, Bizziken said:

Gordon's game reminds me of someone, but I can't put my finger on it....kinda like DeJuan Blair with better handles 

17 minutes ago, Zink said:

Zach Randolph and Julius Randle are who he said people compare him to. I think those are fair. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi4ttsb7WBk

Here's the interview where he is asked about comps. He seems pretty thoughtful and earnest, especially for such a young and naturally gifted guy. Keep up the hard work and maintain that team-first attitude and he'll be fine.

9 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Wow. I don't even know what to say. I wonder if the local players became Billiken fans during the 3 tourney years. If a kid is 16or 17 now he would have been what 10-14 through those years. At the very least they were old enough to remember and know what can be.

Welcome Mr. Gordon. Can't wait to see you play

This is a good point.  I've heard people something about MLB like "baseball is never as great as it was when you were 10 years old".  I think you can apply that across sports to say that during your pre-adolescent years you are going to be formative to your rooting interest.  I know my fandom was shaped by watching late-career Highmark & Claggs and then Larry Hughes, etc.  Let's hope SLU can build on this success and sustain it.

35 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

-sort of early for this debate since the recruits generating the buzz haven't officially signed yet, but I'll play along with the assumption we get all three and perhaps more

-we know the history, it is not great compared to other schools, but the future roster is looking like it can take us to places we haven't been so I would take brighter now with the caveat that Rick's health prevented him getting us to where he knew he could

-what Coach Ford and staff are putting together is simply amazing, imo

I wonder if the fact that Ford is finding out that he can recruit top talent to SLU that he may see that the school could be a place that he can stay a long while without looking for a bigger fish to go.  No need to go to a P5 school if you can get those type of players here and find yourself being in a place where you are appreciated and not having to share the limelight with a football team.  He has impressed me beyond any fantasy I could have ever had.  May deserves a lot of credit for the hire.  

I will revise my prior statement about Coach Majerus's ceiling.  I agree, after seen some of the comments made to my post, that we never got to see his true ceiling, if there was one.

I am sticking to my guns, however, on the idea that the excitement level is greater right now, before Coach Ford has coached a game, than it was right before Coach Majerus coached a game.

9 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

Agreed on the excitement level. As it stands it's a full-blown 10/10 right now.

This thread on the Reddit CBB is rather fun: https://www.reddit.com/r/CollegeBasketball/comments/59i9tp/carteare_gordon_5_chooses_slu/?st=IURC5M80&sh=1b547c2b

Good stuff, but a WKU fan saying SLU must be cheating?  

SLU  pulling in a local 5 star = cheating

WKU gets an out of state 5 star= good recruiting