SLU Baseball in some hot water?

TheBand

This is the bad look I was worried about. Now it looks like they were covering it up and dismissing it, but only changing now because it is public. The next thing will be a new list of demands from the BSA to compliment the list from the clocktower tresspassers. I suppose the BSA are at least students at SLU.

Although if I hear the term "safe space".....

There has been an additional list by the incoming president of the BSA including that the Cupples house to be made a safe space.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What the heck is a "safe place"?

Our entire country has become soft. There are white people that say stupid about black people, there are black people that say stupid about white people, there are people in both races that say stupid about Mexicans, etc, ... who gives a crap. Ignore it and let idiots just be idiots. The hope would be that the rest of the baseball team would be so disgusted with the players making the remarks that he or they would feel ostracized and unwelcome on the team.

###### you ACE.

I don't appreciate being painted as a racist because of where I live. I don't tolerate racism so it's a grave insult thus the ire. You can't seem to glean such details

You playing the moral equivalence game fails miserably in this case.

You really think the comments made by ARon rises to the level of what was said by the baseball players? Yet, for some reason you only chose to be outraged by one of the two.

Maybe my hearing is bad, but I didn't hear that word dropped in the video in the article.

The NYDN didn't even link to anything from ESPN. They attached a video from MLB that they got from WGN of Heyward's first at-bat. The article is about the ESPN mics catching the slurs, but they provide no real proof other than a few tweets from fans watching the game. You'd think we'd have more proof than that, especially if the Worldwide Leader captured the audio.

Then again, the Daily News is really just a outrage factory that fuels other outrage factories, hence why Salon picked up the story right away. I'm sure there were people at the stadium tossing the n-word around, as I've been to many a game where I've heard it said in the stands, but if you aren't providing any more proof other than second-hand accounts from Twitter, then you really should wait to post an article until you can verify. But, this is a tabloid looking for clicks, so there you go.

I heard it screamed at Heyward at Busch when was a Cardinal, so I'm not sure why it should be a shock it's screamed at him now that he's a Cub. That said, I also heard similar things screamed at A-Rod at Yankee Stadium, and I don't remember a NY Daily News article about it.

I heard it screamed at Heyward at Busch when was a Cardinal, so I'm not sure why it should be a shock it's screamed at him now that he's a Cub. That said, I also heard similar things screamed at A-Rod at Yankee Stadium, and I don't remember a NY Daily News article about it.

Saying things like "Jason Heyward’s return to St. Louis was marred with racial slurs" and "blitzed with taunts" is more than a redneck fan or two yelling something ignorant.

What the heck is a "safe place"?

Our entire country has become soft. There are white people that say stupid ###### about black people, there are black people that say stupid ###### about white people, there are people in both races that say stupid ###### about Mexicans, etc, ... who gives a crap. Ignore it and let idiots just be idiots. The hope would be that the rest of the baseball team would be so disgusted with the players making the remarks that he or they would feel ostracized and unwelcome on the team.

That's certainly the hope, except I think the problem is that the other players weren't disgusted, or at least weren't disgusted enough to let these guys know about it. If the coach sat down with the former manager and acknowledged the problem, saying the team culture needs to change, then that's pretty telling. If the other players don't care and just go along with these dumb bros, then it's probably something that needs to be addressed by someone in a position of power- the coach, the AD, or the school.

Two? I'm counting at least three. This thread is no longer a #safespace.

I propose a safe thread for SLUfan so he can feel that this thread has degenerated into two separate conversations and not have his ideas questioned by Pistol who feels that this thread has degenerated into three different conversations.

That's certainly the hope, except I think the problem is that the other players weren't disgusted, or at least weren't disgusted enough to let these guys know about it. If the coach sat down with the former manager and acknowledged the problem, saying the team culture needs to change, then that's pretty telling. If the other players don't care and just go along with these dumb bros, then it's probably something that needs to be addressed by someone in a position of power- the coach, the AD, or the school.

Just because somebody didn't group text a response back to everyone doesn't mean there weren't offline comments or verbal conversations made to the two individuals that made the dumb texts. Could have happened within minutes of the original conversation for all we know.

Just because somebody didn't group text a response back to everyone doesn't mean there weren't offline comments or verbal conversations made to the two individuals that made the dumb texts. Could have happened within minutes of the original conversation for all we know.

I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt, but if the two racist bros felt comfortable enough to get rolling with bad jokes in that text chain, they probably felt like it was a pretty damn safe space (wink wink) for their brand of racism, right? Without any evidence to support anyone else on the chain saying, "Yeah, that's enough guys. So are we going to Potbelly or Chipotle?" then there's not really enough to give them that benefit of the doubt.

And for the love of all things sacred, will someone PLEASE FIND A MACBOOK CHARGER FOR LUKE ALREADY?

Haven't most of us said (or heard) fairly ignorant and insensitive things to (from) our friends or teammates? I am not going to crush these kids for not being disgusted by the text and running to the coach without knowing more.

I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt, but if the two racist bros felt comfortable enough to get rolling with bad jokes in that text chain, they probably felt like it was a pretty damn safe space (wink wink) for their brand of racism, right? Without any evidence to support anyone else on the chain saying, "Yeah, that's enough guys. So are we going to Potbelly or Chipotle?" then there's not really enough to give them that benefit of the doubt.

And for the love of all things sacred, will someone PLEASE FIND A MACBOOK CHARGER FOR LUKE ALREADY?

Poor Luke. The kids full name is now linked to this story and its all because he needed a MacBook charger.

I don't recall having a strong opinion of the baseball players when I was at SLU. I know the team wasn't very good during my time (2002 thru 2005 seasons) and I went to a few games (fairly tough league back then with Houston, TCU, Louisville, East Carolina, Tulane, Southern Miss, South Florida, UAB, Charlotte, Memphis), but I don't recall the players being the worst.

Same here. It's weird to see so many current and recent SLU students - including Dwayne Evans - saying that this isn't the least bit shocking.

My limited interactions with the baseball players from my time there were good, too. Seemed like mostly pretty good guys. Low-key, for sure. I'd have been shocked to see something like this from the baseball team during our years at SLU.

Haven't most of us said (or heard) fairly ignorant and insensitive things to (from) our friends or teammates? I am not going to crush these kids for not being disgusted by the text and running to the coach without knowing more.

True, but it's all about context. This was enough for a manager - who wasn't on the text, but still - to be offended enough to officially file a complaint. If there were some kind of inside joke, or some deeper context we don't have in a snippet of a text chain, would he have done that? I'm trying to think of examples from our group of buddies or the basketball team in our years, and it seems like the lack of ill intent was obvious enough that no one who knows anyone involved would want to file a complaint.

I can think of plenty of horrifying things I've heard said within the comradery of a tight-knit group like that. Taken out of context they can sound monstrous. You and I are both thinking, I'm sure, of one of our friends in particular who likes to push any button he can to see how people react. But someone who knows that group would know the context of their "jokes", wouldn't they? Like, he would know if there's an ongoing inside joke or if it's an attempt at satire or something? A team manager would know enough about those players to know whether there's another level to their remarks.