Coaches Show, Jan 25

HoosierPal

Milik is still not practicing. He and Crawford collided in practice with Milik getting the worse of the collision. He hit his head on Crawford's shoulder. He may get some work with the trainer Wednesday. So he is out for Dayton.

Good discussion on how Miles Reynolds needs to work on his balance, getting his feet under him and knees bent rather than dashing uncontrolled to the rim.

Complimented Hines and Bishop for the reduction of turn overs: 20 TO in last 3 1/2 games. With the four guards, there are better ball handlers on the floor then before.

Mentioned Jolly's good defense and passing against UMass.

Bartley still not 100%, but is regaining his confidence on this shot.

Davidson and UMass played similar defense against the Bills. Dayton will play a different system that won't give us the same things. 6'11" McElvene will clog the middle more than Dav or UMass.

Asked about his assistants, Crews said Platt primarily coaches defense, and Cheaney and Bronson more offense. The three rotate scouting opponents.

Milik is still not practicing. He and Crawford collided in practice with Milik getting the worse of the collision. He hit his head on Crawford's shoulder. He may get some work with the trainer Wednesday. So he is out for Dayton.

Good discussion on how Miles Reynolds needs to work on his balance, getting his feet under him and knees bent rather than dashing uncontrolled to the rim.

Complimented Hines and Bishop for the reduction of turn overs: 20 TO in last 3 1/2 games. With the four guards, there are better ball handlers on the floor then before.

Davidson and UMass played similar defense against the Bills. Dayton will play a different system that won't give us the same things. 6'11" McElvene will clog the middle more than Dav or UMass.

Asked about his assistants, Crews said Platt primarily coaches defense, and Cheaney and Bronson more offense. The three rotate scouting opponents.

Thanks for the summary. So basically Crews and Platt do a bunch of all? Got it.

-thanks for the summary as I wasn't able to listen

-I hope the line about Dayton playing a different system doesn't cause us to revert to the 13 point per half offense

-Crews and Platt coach defense, scary, and that was probably an unnecessary slam at Davidson and UMass saying they play similar defense to us

-thanks for the summary as I wasn't able to listen

-I hope the line about Dayton playing a different system doesn't cause us to revert to the 13 point per half offense

-Crews and Platt coach defense, scary, and that was probably an unnecessary slam at Davidson and UMass saying they play similar defense to us

I think he means they play similar defense to each other, not to us.

Good stuff thank you for the summary.

Idk. I just think it's weird that he's sitting out and we're doing better. In my mind he's trying to transfer but I'm probably wrong

Im not trying to attack you 05, but i really don't appreciate these sentiments. If MY is leaving or whatever I wouldnt pin it on this. Concussions are serious and if its stated there is a medical issue we should just take it at face value. Whatever other speculation there is is legitimate and fine, but i dont think we should belittle injuries like this. Separate the speculation from the injury. Thats all im saying. No need for further argument. I saw what happened to bk18.

Regardless of the reason, I'm fine with him not playing.

I'm not ready to give up on MY. He brings a skill set different from our large collection of 2s/3s. I think if healthy and used properly he could still make an impact. Drop this point forward idea... the worst idea since Sodie tried to use TL at the point. Now that we appear to have better guard play and spacing, MY could settle in to more of a DE type role - Keep it simple, score inside and rebound, don't worry about handling the ball so much and trying to create a shot that is not there. I know it has only been a few games, but the improved guard play has created more interior scoring opportunities for RA and it could happen for MY. Even MB has strung together a couple of good games with better guard play, getting more good open looks from 3.

I'm not ready to give up on MY. He brings a skill set different from our large collection of 2s/3s. I think if healthy and used properly he could still make an impact. Drop this point forward idea... the worst idea since Sodie tried to use TL at the point. Now that we appear to have better guard play and spacing, MY could settle in to more of a DE type role - Keep it simple, score inside and rebound, don't worry about handling the ball so much and trying to create a shot that is not there. I know it has only been a few games, but the improved guard play has created more interior scoring opportunities for RA and it could happen for MY. Even MB has strung together a couple of good games with better guard play, getting more good open looks from 3.

+1000

MY could absolutely fall into a DE-like role, but he needs to accept that and focus on being that type of player. Just get on the block, cut towards the basket, rebound, and good things will happen.

Whether or not MY could be a DE type player is to be determined. However, I think the reason he hasn't is not because the coaching staff has not wanted that. Based upon what I have seen, I think that he has not allowed himself to play that role. He still believes he's a 1 or 2 and refuses to play like a 3.

Could he be the guy with the highest upside on the team??? Maybe. He hasn't shown us that yet. He has to get over the hurdle of his role first, before anyone will be able to know.

Potential is one thing, fit is another. If this place and this team and this system (or old system or new system, or non-system) aren't a good fit for MY, then he should transfer. He showed us what he was capable of last season as A10 play started. He also showed us how quickly he was scouted, figured out, and hasn't been able to bounce back in a meaningful, consistent way since then.

If he and the staff (or future staff) think he's going to get it, then by all means, I like his upside and would love to see him stay. But if he's not content here and isn't committed to working on the facets of his game that will help himself and his team, then maybe this isn't the place for him.