Coaches Show, Jan 25

HoosierPal

I still believe his best role is as a slashing 3, but as someone else mentioned he has to get in shape. As a 4, he'll be going up against larger defenders most of the time and I just don't see the strength or basketball IQ to get it done consistently down low. He always seems to just want to power up through guys he's not big or strong enough to power through and he gets blocked. DE was not that athletic and small for a 4, but he consistently put himself in the proper position to succeed. He had great basketball IQ. I'm not sure I see that from MY. I like MY but imo, his best route is to work hard on his perimeter shot and get in real shape.

Whether or not MY could be a DE type player is to be determined. However, I think the reason he hasn't is not because the coaching staff has not wanted that. Based upon what I have seen, I think that he has not allowed himself to play that role. He still believes he's a 1 or 2 and refuses to play like a 3.

Could he be the guy with the highest upside on the team??? Maybe. He hasn't shown us that yet. He has to get over the hurdle of his role first, before anyone will be able to know.

I think the coaching staff has embraced the point forward roll. Why else would you have the guards clear out and allow him to attack the rim. Just tell him to give up the ball and go get in the paint and if you don't take a seat. I don't blame them for trying the strategy, but it didn't work and they allowed it for far too long.

I still believe his best role is as a slashing 3, but as someone else mentioned he has to get in shape. As a 4, he'll be going up against larger defenders most of the time and I just don't see the strength or basketball IQ to get it done consistently down low. He always seems to just want to power up through guys he's not big or strong enough to power through and he gets blocked. DE was not that athletic and small for a 4, but he consistently put himself in the proper position to succeed. He had great basketball IQ. I'm not sure I see that from MY. I like MY but imo, his best route is to work hard on his perimeter shot and get in real shape.

that. I don't want to see him drive the ball ever again. He's a turnover machine. Put him on the block

Even without an injury, he might be the odd man out of the offense we've seen in the past couple weeks. He'd either have to commit to playing the Agbeko role as the primary rebounder, or he'd have to display a set of guard skills - not to mention patience and restraint - that we haven't seen from him before.

So as much upside as he has, I'm not sure where he fits in right now. Same with Reynolds; he showed more improvement than any other sophomore in the early going but his game doesn't lend itself to this current setup.

Which is really what inspired my thread about the sophomore class a few days ago. This season has taken a really unexpected turn and I'm not sure it's going to work out for some of these guys, especially when it comes to getting minutes in the short term.

Reynolds seemed to fit into the new offense pretty well the other day when he had 14 points, 8 assists, and only one TO. Seems weird to pick on the one guard who's actually improved since his freshman year.

That's true, he had a solid bounce-back game. Maybe he's found a role.

Crews complimented Reynolds on coming into the UMass game and getting three immediate dimes before he took his first shot.

He said Miles has to bend his knees more when driving the lane, rather than going in straight up, and needs to do a better job realizing that if he has a 6'11" center in his way, he won't be getting the shot off.

Crews complimented Reynolds on coming into the UMass game and getting three immediate dimes before he took his first shot.

He said Miles has to bend his knees more when driving the lane, rather than going in straight up, and needs to do a better job realizing that if he has a 6'11" center in his way, he won't be getting the shot off.

For those who didn't hear it, this was on the radio show the other night. It was a pretty good show overall - they covered some interesting topics. Earl pointed out that when Reynolds first came into the game, he was looking to pass and help his teammates, and then he was able to get into the offensive flow himself after that.

I think that quote by Crews is very telling to why his coaching is a failure. "Bend your knees" and all will be well. I'm tired of him talking about the process. How about setting a good screen-How about blocking out-How about running a set play-How about an inbounds play- How about a set rotation- How about a time-out. No we just need to bend our knees.

I think that quote by Crews is very telling to why his coaching is a failure. "Bend your knees" and all will be well. I'm tired of him talking about the process. How about setting a good screen-How about blocking out-How about running a set play-How about an inbounds play- How about a set rotation- How about a time-out. No we just need to bend our knees.

The quote isn't about bending his knees, it is poor phrasing. What I think Crews is referring to is that Miles tends to play tall and upright. It can look stiff at times and not as fluid as other players. By bending his knees he could tap into a little more explosiveness and it also helps with things such as shooting. His statement is an over simplification of what he means but this is something I agree with JC on.

Whether or not MY could be a DE type player is to be determined. However, I think the reason he hasn't is not because the coaching staff has not wanted that. Based upon what I have seen, I think that he has not allowed himself to play that role. He still believes he's a 1 or 2 and refuses to play like a 3.

Could he be the guy with the highest upside on the team??? Maybe. He hasn't shown us that yet. He has to get over the hurdle of his role first, before anyone will be able to know.

JC himself prior to last season mentioned that he liked the idea of MY grabbing a rebound and leading the break, so that is the role the coach envisioned. And even though last year it often led to turnovers and poor decisions, JC stuck with it. You never saw him take him out or chew him out, because the kid was doing what the coach wanted. I guess JC thought it would get better over time. It never really did. IMO, JC relied on MY to do to too much - bring the ball up, create shots for himself, create shots for others, rebound, etc. Clearly it was too much. Limit what you ask the kid to do first, let him get really good at those things and then begin to expand his game.

I think all the players including MY had been put out a disadvantage due to poor point guard play. Now that we have something more resembling decent point guard play, I think there can be an opportunity for MY to be more effective.

The quote isn't about bending his knees, it is poor phrasing. What I think Crews is referring to is that Miles tends to play tall and upright. It can look stiff at times and not as fluid as other players. By bending his knees he could tap into a little more explosiveness and it also helps with things such as shooting. His statement is an over simplification of what he means but this is something I agree with JC on.

-Willie can speak for himself, but I think he is sharing a frustration I also have and that is we seem to lack many basics, although we scored on an inbounds play at UMass so perhaps progress is being made and even if progress is being made then my addition to Willie's list is why so long for these changes to be made?

-Willie can speak for himself, but I think he is sharing a frustration I also have and that is we seem to lack many basics, although we scored on an inbounds play at UMass so perhaps progress is being made and even if progress is being made then my addition to Willie's list is why so long for these changes to be made?

I suspect the coaches would point to the team's youth. I don't know how many people buy that.

My frustration is we get CoachSpeak but I see little tangible coaching. Do we even own a chalk board?