Coaching Candidates

JMM28

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been trying to stay out of this , had figured Dooley`s game could surface. We are FGCU season ticket holders, and I am a fan of both FGCU and SLU.

Dooley has the same fire in his belly that Soderberg has, hard nosed and expects his players to play that way.

Have mixed thoughts on Dooley, I still think the jury is still out on him. Has had alot of transfers come in, mostly Florida kids, but has a 3 player class,one from Jax, Philly and Compton<CA. Got a top 150 recruit from North Carolina last year.( was top 100 till he committed to FGCU, sound familiar).

Article about Dooley in today`s Fort Myers paper www.news-press.com

Scheduling has been very tough , hard to get anyone to come to Dunk City. Had 4 wins that didn`t count in rpi( 3 NAIA and 1 d-2), but beat UMass and LaSalle

As bad as we were had a higher RPI than FGCU, but when it mattered his young team delivered.

I don`t know how I feel, but think Dooley is a back up plan

Ugh!

This could end up like the Painter situation at Mizzou. They put all their eggs in one basket thinking they had him and than end up with the "walking probation" Frank Haith. I just hope May has a good backup plan and its not Dooley or Terry.

Take a xanax.

So if, in fact, Drew is our primary target, what schools could reasonably 'outbid' us for his services at this point?

Currently, Pittsburgh and Stanford are the only two. I highly highly doubt Stanford would be competing with us for a coaching candidate, and I think that Drew would be an unorthodox hire for Pitt, but who knows. We need to be monitoring that situation I guess.

Tulane, UNLV, Western Kentucky? I really don't see any of these 3 as threats for Bryce Drew.

At this moment, I think SLU is definitely among the best 5 coaching vacancies, and arguably among the Top 3.

At some point Drew will be frustrated by producing tourney ready teams that didn't make it because of a 1 bid league.

Chokes on the big one. Horizon is an 18th RPI ranked conference.

Best he done is 2 second round finishes in the NCAA's and some early exit NIT and CIT.

If we are throwing out 7 figures, we can do way better.

At some point Drew will be frustrated by producing tourney ready teams that didn't make it because of a 1 bid league.

A- 10 teams with a grade of A-....VCU , St. J , Dayton...all went to NCAA tourney

Horizon teams with a grade of A-.....Valpo.......NIT

Best he done is 2 second round finishes in the NCAA's and some early exit NIT and CIT.

Just stop.

Are you forgetting that Second Rd. exit is the best we've done as a program? What he could accomplish this year is the best we've ever done. He's doing all this in a conference with a gym. Wake up to reality, please.

It's also hard to beat every team that is required for them to do, 3 times in one season. Are you telling me that you would be mad as a SLU fan, if SLU won the regular season every year but lost in the conference tournament? You would still be dancing? It would be a bummer, since winning is fun, but you're still sitting pretty.

Are you forgetting that Second Rd. exit is the best we've done as a program? What he could accomplish this year is the best we've ever done. He's doing all this in a ###### conference with a ###### gym. Wake up to reality, please.

Love the "he's never led a team past the 2nd round" argument. Dude has had 5 years, we've had 40. Far more embarrassing for us then it is for him and reflects a lot more about our program then it does a guy who has coached for 5 years

IF Stallings is a possibility, we should know one way or the other by this week. No reason it should drag on any longer. We're not really hearing much, so maybe that ship has sailed. If Drew is in play, obviously we'll have to wait until the end of the NIT. Other than Billikitty a few weeks ago, haven't seen any credible reports linking us to Anthony Grant. If he is the top target you would figure that we would hear something this week. No way Donovan would hold Grant back if he wants to return to college as a head coach. But things appear to be very quiet, so not sure if this is even a possibility.

I hope we don't get strung along with Drew and then are left scrambling for Plan B & C options... and then if we are dragging this into April, it puts the new coach at a disadvantage for any spring recruiting that likely needs to be done.

Are you forgetting that Second Rd. exit is the best we've done as a program? What he could accomplish this year is the best we've ever done. He's doing all this in a ###### conference with a ###### gym. Wake up to reality, please.

He has a terrible case of SLU-is-Kentucky syndrome. Our goal here is to get the tournament consistently. A Sweet 16 would be historic.

IF Stallings is a possibility, we should know one way or the other by this week. No reason it should drag on any longer. We're not really hearing much, so maybe that ship has sailed. If Drew is in play, obviously we'll have to wait until the end of the NIT. Other than Billikitty a few weeks ago, haven't seen any credible reports linking us to Anthony Grant. If he is the top target you would figure that we would hear something this week. No way Donovan would hold Grant back if he wants to return to college as a head coach. But things appear to be very quiet, so not sure if this is even a possibility.

I hope we don't get strung along with Drew and then are left scrambling for Plan B & C options... and then if we are dragging this into April, it puts the new coach at a disadvantage for any spring recruiting that likely needs to be done.

Platt as an interim.

He has a terrible case of SLU-is-Kentucky syndrome. Our goal here is to get the tournament consistently. A Sweet 16 would be historic.

Yea, I guess I am.

Why did the Big East dismiss us?

Why no NBA players? Okay Willie, who everyone treats as a pariah here.

I want the program to be like X and Gonzaga. Since we had not had success like they did on hiring within (Sodie & Crews), we have an opportunity to hit the home run now with a name coach from a major conference. Let's not settle, like we always seem to do. Only when we didn't was with Spoon and Majerus. That turned out pretty good and think both had some SLU Office of the President support, would have been better.

Bryce reminds me of Chris Mooney, nice guy, had some good years at AFA and one sweet 16, since then he is the most over-rated mediocre coach in the A10. With Bryce, our future will be just NITs and CBIs, I don't think he can compete in the A10.