Coaching Candidates

JMM28

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

-they're hiring Lavin

I really don't think that will happen. In chapter 7 of Phil Jackson's most recent book, he talked about an incident with him and Lavin, in which they had a disagreement on whether Seven was a good name for a child. This left a bad taste in Jackson's mouth. Lavin is more likely to end up at Saint Louis University.

Coach Steve Lavin, a polarizing figure, is getting some support here, which is good. Is the support designed to rile up the dissenters? This is SLU and St. Louis. There is always going to be dissent. Some of these people would have objected to John Wooden too, claimed he was too far removed out on the Left Coast in Westwood.
As Trump would say, I'd hire Lav so fast "your head will spin."

Lavin would be expensive, but you get for what you pay. Lav respects SLU, respected Coach Spoon, and he was close to Coach Majerus, shared the desk with Majerus during one of his most famous diatribes on ESPN, and cracked up on the air while doing so.
Lav once brought his hallowed UCLA Bruins to St. Louis, played SLU in a Home and Home, with the first game in St. Louis. Imagine that.
SLU isn't going to find the perfect coach. We need a guy that can recruit, and a guy who will be a good face for the program with the media.
Lav for the Win. Lav for the Billikens!

Not a chance. There's a much greater likelihood — like a certainty — that Kim Anderson will coach Missouri in 2016-17 than it is that Jim Crews will coach Saint Louis in 2016-17. And the chances of the latter seem to be greater than 50%, I suspect.

In fact the likelihood of Anderson's coaching Mizzou in 2017-18 are greater than that of Crews's coaching SLU next year.

The noose is tightening at State U. If you want Anderson, he'll be available. Pants on Fire!

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/eye-on-the-tigers/mizzou-basketball-dismisses-wes-clark/article_818e0f8d-8e1b-54a3-a361-0af27b5ae406.html

Another good choice would be Josh Pastner at Memphis, or John Groce of Illinois, if one of them is let go. The problem is SLU is not in a position to wait long to find out.

But we've been down these coaching lulls before. In recent times SLU has seemed to take its sweet time. Again, the problem is time is not an ally.

But I'll say this, a Steve Lavin, or a Josh Pastner, would bring out the best in Milik Yarbrough. So would have Ben Howland ... Ben Howland raved on Milik last year on the NBCSN telecasts of SLU games, said he needed to learn a shot fake.

Another good choice would be Josh Pastner at Memphis, or John Groce of Illinois, if one of them is let go. The problem is SLU is not in a position to wait long to find out.

But we've been down these coaching lulls before. In recent times SLU has seemed to take its sweet time. Again, the problem is time is not an ally.

But I'll say this, a Steve Lavin, or a Josh Pastner, would bring out the best in Milik Yarbrough. So would have Ben Howland ... Ben Howland raved on Milik last year on the NBCSN telecasts of SLU games, said he needed to learn a shot fake.

I like Groce on paper, but I am not so sure about Pastner.

Wes Clark was a Haith recruit; I doubt his dismissal for academics will be held against Anderson. Moreover, I don't think Anderson is a viable candidate in the minds of any SLU fan.

SLU isn't going to find the perfect coach. We need a guy that can recruit, and a guy who will be a good face for the program with the media.

Lav for the Win. Lav for the Billikens!

Agree 100%....SLU needs to put up the 2-2.5 million a year it will take to get a program changer like Lavin. We'll see what Fred thinks of the program with this next hire.

Agree 100%....SLU needs to put up the 2-2.5 million a year it will take to get a program changer like Lavin. We'll see what Fred thinks of the program with this next hire.

With the pits this team is in we need someone who can make changes now. We need improvement NOW, not "patience"(more last place finishes)

With the pits this team is in we need someone who can make changes now. We need improvement NOW, not "patience"(more last place finishes)

I really think Steve Lavin would win at SLU, would bring in a whole different level of players.

Lavin is not known as a good bench coach, but that's where you make a guy like Gene Keady his Bench Coach, his X's and O's guy, like at St. John's. There would be plenty of other options.

Lavin is very good with the media, having spent time on the other side of the mike himself. He would be a good face for the program. That PR game is not to be discounted; it is important. Look at the now, SLU is on the back page, an afterthought, or never thought, after being ranked 8th in the country just 2 years ago.

What kept Steve Lavin from coming home to take over long dormant and sleeping giant USF (CA) in the WCC was money. Lavin is the son of a legendary high school coach in Marin County, across the Golden Gate Bridge from San Francisco.

I really think Steve Lavin would win at SLU, would bring in a whole different level of players.

Lavin is not known as a good bench coach, but that's where you make a guy like Gene Keady his Bench Coach, his X's and O's guy, like at St. John's. There would be plenty of other options.

Lavin is very good with the media, having spent time on the other side of the mike himself. He would be a good face for the program. That PR game is not to be discounted; it is important. Look at the now, SLU is on the back page, an afterthought, or never thought, after being ranked 8th in the country just 2 years ago.

What kept Steve Lavin from coming home to take over long dormant and sleeping giant USF (CA) in the WCC was money. Lavin is the son of a legendary high school coach in Marin County, across the Golden Gate Bridge from San Francisco.

I'll take Lavin's X's and O's. Im not expecting Majerus Magic out of him. I am expecting him to recruit dancers. Hire Lavin!

"I can confirm former @IlliniFootball player Josh Whitman is the new @IlliniAthletics AD. Whitman will be introduced on Thursday. @cbschicago"

Could hear some leaks regarding Groce sooner than later

I can't believe UIUC couldn't find better than a D3 AD. Anyone care to say how WashU athletics are performing?

I'll take Lavin's X's and O's. Im not expecting Majerus Magic out of him. I am expecting him to recruit dancers. Hire Lavin!

Lavin's weakness is X's and O's. It was his weakness at UCLA and at St. John's. He struggled when Mike Dunlap left for the Bobcats job and hired Whitsell as his X's and O' guy. Keady was never a bench coach. http://www.bruinsnation.com/2011/2/4/1973417/why-we-hate-steve-lavin

That said, he's not going anywhere in the Midwest. He's a big city guy, his wife is an actress and fashion designer. He lived in a SoHo loft, that's his style. I would be surprised if he coaches anywhere again.http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/steve-lavin-new-coach-st-john-wife-mary-ann-jarou-set-city-storm-article-1.173300

Lavin's weakness is X's and O's. It was his weakness at UCLA and at St. John's. He struggled when Mike Dunlap left for the Bobcats job and hired Whitsell as his X's and O' guy. Keady was never a bench coach. http://www.bruinsnation.com/2011/2/4/1973417/why-we-hate-steve-lavin

That said, he's not going anywhere in the Midwest. He's a big city guy, his wife is an actress and fashion designer. He lived in a SoHo loft, that's his style. I would be surprised if he coaches anywhere again.http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/steve-lavin-new-coach-st-john-wife-mary-ann-jarou-set-city-storm-article-1.173300

Hard to disagree with, but I'm not sure an up-and-coming assistant trying to establish connections in the world would be an answer, unless he's got players on his radar he is ready to bring in. This team needs immediate help, and there is absolutely nothing on this current roster to work with.

Gene Keady was definitely with Steve Lavin at St. John's as an assistant coach, breaking down game film and serving as a bench coach during games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Keady

Much earlier Lavin was on Keady's staff at Purdue. So Lavin has worked in the Midwest.

SLU should not close any doors, especially with an available coach out there like a Steve Lavin.