#FireJimCrews

+1 The thing I am looking forward to the least about our upcoming coach search is the comments from the guys that think we can land just about anyone. Yes, we have great facilities, but we have zero momentum as a program right now. Our realistic get for our coaching vacancy is a top assistant or lower level (below Mo Valley) head coach. Understand that we are in worse shape, not better shape, than when Majerus agreed to come here.

I agree we cannot land anyone but IMO we are in MUCH better shape now than when Majerus was hired. Now we have the nicest facility in a great bball conference and a proven track record with the recent NCAA tourney wins. When Majerus was hired we were still at the scottrade center hadn't been relevant in over 10 years. Our team right now is undeniably dreadful, but the program overall is much more appealing now than it was when Majerus took the reigns.

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree we cannot land anyone but IMO we are in MUCH better shape now than when Majerus was hired. Now we have the nicest facility in a great bball conference and a proven track record with the recent NCAA tourney wins. When Majerus was hired we were still at the scottrade center hadn't been relevant in over 10 years. Our team right now is undeniably dreadful, but the program overall is much more appealing now than it was when Majerus took the reigns.

-doesn't part of the appeal depend on when a change is made? if the admin waits another year we could have fallen another level although I guess some might find that sort of challenge attractive...for a price

-doesn't part of the appeal depend on when a change is made? if the admin waits another year we could have fallen another level although I guess some might find that sort of challenge attractive...for a price

Can we fall another level? Our RPI will likely be +300 at seasons end and that is about as rock bottom as you can go...

What is possibly going to be accomplished in the next 3 months that's worth firing crews for now? All decent coaching candidates will be coaching far longer then our team is playing so we have to wait to talk to people anyways

Nah...any good AD knows who is on the chopping block or potentially willing to make a move, thus potentially available...so conversations start early. Question is whether May will act now or not. Also, firing Crews now sends a message. Does May want so show that SLU continues to support this current path, or that we'll get rid of the coach, sacrifice this season, and focus on the future?

Does May want so show that SLU continues to support this current path, or that we'll get rid of the coach, sacrifice this season, and focus on the future?

This season and every one to follow was sacrificed the moment Majerus took ill. Need to right the ship ASAP, damn the costs.

Nah...any good AD knows who is on the chopping block or potentially willing to make a move, thus potentially available...so conversations start early. Question is whether May will act now or not. Also, firing Crews now sends a message. Does May want so show that SLU continues to support this current path, or that we'll get rid of the coach, sacrifice this season, and focus on the future?

This gets my vote. Give it another 5 games. If they are all losses, which we expect, can him then. That should send a louder message than one at season's end, when a multitude of HCs are getting axed.

I am not sure if SLU can wait to try to right the ship. I would ask Jim if he wants to go home now and get the rest of his salary and be able to sleep at night without loading up with sleeping pills or stay and get fired at the end anyway and become a nervous wreck in the process. If he says he wants to stay then start the search process as a PR move just to keep the fans hopeful at least. If he chooses to go home then name Cheney as the interim so people will get him out of their blood. The new coach will not come from this staff and this staff probably is already putting their resumes together without Crews knowing anyway. The players have to know that they SLU has a plan. While I realize they are struggling, the point is we can not start with a new coach and not have anybody left on the team. Let him recruit over who is here rather than grab anybodies just to field a team for next year before he can start working for his own players. Boy, this whole thread has nauseated me just thinking about it starting over again but I guess we have no other choice.

Crews isn't going anywhere during the season. It just doesn't happen like that. And even if Crews got hit by a bus, I'd think Jim Platt might be the one to take over. And that would be even worse.

How can it get any worse. Crews does not get to pick who the interim is. Why would Platt get it over any of the other underachievers on the staff? You want to talk about what just does not happen - how about going from a top 20 program or higher two years in a row to a 11-17 record followed up with a either the same or worse record. This situation is not normal so thinking normal about it is not necessary.

If you fire Crews mid season, doesn't his long time side kick Platt go too? You can't lose half your coaching staff mid season. Crews is here until the season is over. Thankfully Biondi is gone. Otherwise the decision wouldn't be made until a couple of months after the season is over.

That is the key. Just do it shortly after the season ends and it will leave plenty of time to find a new candidate and start recruiting.

Can anyone name for me the last D1 college basketball coach to get fired mid-season for not winning enough? I can't think of a single example but I'm sure I'm missing something.

Can anyone name for me the last D1 college basketball coach to get fired mid-season for not winning enough? I can't think of a single example but I'm sure I'm missing something.

I was having this discussion the other day. DePaul fired their guy in the middle of the season during their Big East losing streak a few years back. And apparently Delaware State fired a coach after 15 years just a season or two ago. Those were the only two we could come up with.

"If the coach is going to ultimately be fired anyway, then it's no longer necessary to maintain the facade of what he may need to do to keep his job. If an athletic director and a president have made up their minds, then why put off the inevitable? Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley did that when he moved on Ron Zook in football. Foley told me that if you know you're going to get rid of a coach, then what's the point of waiting until March 10? You can still have the coach finish the season if he wants. But more importantly, the athletic director can pursue a new coach without having to be unethical.

"You're not being dishonest," Foley said. "What's the point in waiting? What does that get you?"

Foley said that if something isn't working, then you owe it to the institution to make a change."

If you fire Crews mid season, doesn't his long time side kick Platt go too? You can't lose half your coaching staff mid season. Crews is here until the season is over. Thankfully Biondi is gone. Otherwise the decision wouldn't be made until a couple of months after the season is over.

No - why - he stays along with the other asst coaches until the end of the season.

"If the coach is going to ultimately be fired anyway, then it's no longer necessary to maintain the facade of what he may need to do to keep his job. If an athletic director and a president have made up their minds, then why put off the inevitable? Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley did that when he moved on Ron Zook in football. Foley told me that if you know you're going to get rid of a coach, then what's the point of waiting until March 10? You can still have the coach finish the season if he wants. But more importantly, the athletic director can pursue a new coach without having to be unethical.

"You're not being dishonest," Foley said. "What's the point in waiting? What does that get you?"

Foley said that if something isn't working, then you owe it to the institution to make a change."

Good article and it makes sense to let the guy go when you have seen enough.

"You're not being dishonest," Foley said. "What's the point in waiting? What does that get you?"[/i

This says it all, why wait if we know we're headed for the toilet. The advantages I see in a mid season firing are:

You let the fan base know you're damn serious about the program.

You do let the AD put out feelers to guys like Sendek and maybe some others.

The players that think they're retaining their scholies if Crews hangs on get to work on transferring out. The sooner the better for his replacement.

The fears about an AC suddenly coaching this team to a rally are way over played unless he wins the A10 tourney and takes this crew to the sweet16. If the admin thinks any of Crews ACs are the long term answer we're in deeper doo doo than any of us thought possible.

I was having this discussion the other day. DePaul fired their guy in the middle of the season during their Big East losing streak a few years back. And apparently Delaware State fired a coach after 15 years just a season or two ago. Those were the only two we could come up with.

Didn't the Butler coach leave on some sort 'leave of absence' mid season?