UT Martin GDT: Nuclear Meltdown Edition

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We were getting blown out until UTM took their foot off the gas. As soon as the game got close self destructed.

I don't remember every play, but I know when we cut the lead they just went right to the basket and blew by our guards and met no resistance at the rim. I think Bishop, Reynolds, and Roby all got beat at some point in that stretch when the lead had been cut. It was like the big brother letting the little brother get close and then just said that is close enough, layup, layup, layup, and ball game let's go get dinner.

Why does anyone think it was May's decision to hire Crews? Biondi sidelined the previous AD in both the firing of Brad and the hiring of Rickma.

Good point but that said - if this is true then why do we have him as AD - if he is so impotent then lets get somebody who can actually navigate this program to success.

TN-Martin is a bad team. So bad that just a week ago people were trying to convince me it wasn't statistically possible for them to beat us even if we shat the bed. The hail mary didn't end up the difference maker in the game, but the only reason it was even possible was we called that ridiculous timeout with two seconds left. If you're looking for a real "but for" cause of the loss, look at that and the timeout called when we didn't have one. Seems really odd to toss this loss off as some kind of fluke considering all that.

UT-Martin had an RPI of 310 on 12/15/15.

This debacle has to rank in the Top 10 Worst Losses of All-Time.

There are no excuses, none, for this loss. This was a "buy" game. SLU was paying an opponent to fill up the home schedule and get a win, a win that would buttress the won-loss record, but not help the RPI. A high major should never lose a home court "buy" game," especially a high major with no margin for error.

Good point but that said - if this is true then why do we have him as AD - if he is so impotent then lets get somebody who can actually navigate this program to success.

As noted before, we have him as AD because the prior administration never would have -- or could have -- hired anyone dynamic. You accept a dictatorship, you have to accept what the dictator dictates.

I had practice last night so I have the game taped, but I heard the score. How the f..k is this game even close? Discussing a lucky half court shot is irrelevant as this should be a 15 point win for even a mediocre team at home. I'm officially out of Kool Aid. If I could change my prediction to 12, I'd have to consider whether that was too high.

Oldguy, If we played around the world, ok let bishop and Bartley play. But they can't guard anyone and they have to be really open to shoot. Unfortunately defense and being about to play with someone guarding you are important aspects of playing basketball. What a great feeling to be sitting there with a minute left with less than 1000 of my favorite billiken fan friends. I havent had tbat feeling since oh about 1983.

Oldguy, If we played around the world, ok let bishop and Bartley play. But they can't guard anyone and they have to be really open to shoot. Unfortunately defense and being about to play with someone guarding you are important aspects of playing basketball. What a great feeling to be sitting there with a minute left with less than 1000 of my favorite billiken fan friends. I havent had tbat feeling since oh about 1983.

Party like it's 1983!

Really, I think 1982 is more applicable, the last year of the Ekker Era (6-21, 1-11). We're just about reaching the point of no return, about 2 weeks away from the New Year, when everything unraveled in that lost '81-'82 season.

At least in 1983, we had some hope under Year 1 of Coach Grawer (albeit 5-23).

Remember The Maine!

Forget '82!

I had practice last night so I have the game taped, but I heard the score. How the f..k is this game even close? Discussing a lucky half court shot is irrelevant as this should be a 15 point win for even a mediocre team at home. I'm officially out of Kool Aid. If I could change my prediction to 12, I'd have to consider whether that was too high.

The middle of the game felt eerily similar to the Morehead State game. They started making some shots (the 2 3s at the end of the half were daggers, but we were giving up a lot of wide open 3s to guys who can shoot and they were able to get shots at the rim with ease for stretches) and shut us down forcing us to shoot 3s and then it was like we just gave up (soft TOs by a number of guys in the middle of the zone or trying to penetrate and bad shots before Roby had a nice run to make it look like we were trying to make it a game before the half time break) and a close game went from being tied at 17 to down double digits in the 1st half (42-21 run after our 10-2 start and their coach calling a TO) to being down 20+ in the 2nd half. And then they stopped running offense and kind of threw the ball all around the court while they continued to foul on the other end and we were finally able to make a few shots and we made it a game. Once the game was close they went back to attacking us and getting easy points at the rim. So for the bulk of the game we were dominated by a UT Martin team from the OVC that was 3-7 with a thin rotation playing without their top scorer and 2nd leading rebounder. Don't bother watching it.

As noted before, we have him as AD because the prior administration never would have -- or could have -- hired anyone dynamic. You accept a dictatorship, you have to accept what the dictator dictates.

I never accepted a dictator. My post was to simply say if May - as Brian has said - is not making the decisions on who to hire as a head MBB coach then what good is he?

I never accepted a dictator. My post was to simply say if May - as Brian has said - is not making the decisions on who to hire as a head MBB coach then what good is he?

Surely you don't expect the president of the university or major boosters to handle the daily adminstration of the athletics department, do you?

Just the same, it's too bad Biondi alienated Cheryl Levick.

Surely you don't expect the president of the university or major boosters to handle the daily adminstration of the athletics department, do you?

Just the same, it's too bad Biondi alienated Cheryl Levick.

Ok since you are getting technical about it - I thought everyone would already know this and understand it without having to be specific - no I know that the president and the board of curators will be the ones to make the final approval but I would think that the AD would do all the leg work, do the interviewing and make a recommendation to them. I also would expect the AD to keep the president in the loop during the process and if a big donor was footing the bill then include him/her also.

Ok since you are getting technical about it - I thought everyone would already know this and understand it without having to be specific - no I know that the president and the board of curators will be the ones to make the final approval but I would think that the AD would do all the leg work, do the interviewing and make a recommendation to them. I also would expect the AD to keep the president in the loop during the process and if a big donor was footing the bill then include him/her also.

I doubt the boosters would be taking up the matter with the athletics director. If so, Levick never would have endorsed Soderberg. Had boosters put a bug in her ear that they would foot the bill for a name coach, she would have jumped on it. I'm sure she would have created a graceful means of handling the situation with Soderberg (poor guy).

I doubt the boosters would be taking up the matter with the athletics director. If so, Levick never would have endorsed Soderberg. Had boosters put a bug in her ear that they would foot the bill for a name coach, she would have jumped on it. I'm sure she would have created a graceful means of handling the situation with Soderberg (poor guy).

I am not sure what your point is - nobody said or inferred that May would fire Crews without consultation with the president. By the way, I believe a booster may very well say to May that he/she thinks Crews needs to fired but May is not going to go off on his own.

We need to get offers out to these guys, stat!

http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/ut-martin

You joke, but Blake Williams and Donald Duncan are both guys we recruited at one point. We may still be recruiting at least one of them (Williams), too, but I'm not sure.

Also, I like how the first article on there is "UT Martin placed on academic probation."