Bills Mason Game Thread

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just about the worst exhibition of Billiken Basketball I have seen in quite some time. Might be time to line the Feytz with cutout eyeholes in the brown paper bags come Wednesday.

Look, the kids are young but this asks if the talent is questionable, or if the coaching staff's talent is questionable and I happen to believe there is equal failures and enough blame to go all around for a couple of laps and then some.

Crews is going nowhere. You don't fire the two-time consecutive A10 COY because he lost all his seniors and has 6 or 8 or 10 freshmen on his roster. Not with FFBJT recruitment hanging in the balance. Kids sign with coaches and whomever comes in will have no relationship there. We all saw this with Kramer and Brad and that end of the Eagles. Plus, what coach with any cred is coming to a school that fired a COY that way? Nobody would want to work for those ######, would you?

We are faced with at least another year of this at a minimum. Show the same results and the same team next year, lose the Tatum sweepstakes too, post a similar record with essentially the same kids, and then we might have a case study that moves even the stodgiest SLU administration to do something one would think. Crews was never the answer ... but May had no choice, really.

While there is plenty of blame to go around there are two players in particular who really dissappointed me tonight.

-Even with the whole team not really showing up, Gillman may as well have not been out there. I lost count of the number of times I saw him weakly swiping at rebounds with one arm and his feet flat on the floor. I realize the freshmen need as much experience as they can get and that is about the only positive that can come from the final 4 games...but Gillman earned a seat on the bench for the remainder in my mind. Let Jolly get the minutes once he's healthy.

-I've been one of the ones calling for more minutes for Crawford. After tonight, forget it. HIs defense was appalling. If he can commit to a real defensive effort he should probably be taking minutes from anyone else on this team. But if tonight mess is all he can muster, he is just Jake Barnett without the rebounding.

While there is plenty of blame to go around there are two players in particular who really dissappointed me tonight.

-Even with the whole team not really showing up, Gillman may as well have not been out there. I lost count of the number of times I saw him weakly swiping at rebounds with one arm and his feet flat on the floor. I realize the freshmen need as much experience as they can get and that is about the only positive that can come from the final 4 games...but Gillman earned a seat on the bench for the remainder in my mind. Let Jolly get the minutes once he's healthy.

-I've been one of the ones calling for more minutes for Crawford. After tonight, forget it. HIs defense was appalling. If he can commit to a real defensive effort he should probably be taking minutes from anyone else on this team. But if tonight mess is all he can muster, he is just Jake Barnett without the rebounding.

The only player who didn't disappointment me was Manning. And that's because I gave up on him. Everyone was bad on defense. Everyone was bad on offense. It's just one of those games. We'll be better Wednesday

Some will show up to play unfortunately not all of them will. I mentioned last week about the potential for multiple guys to be lost in the off season shuffle. Well it is starting to play out on the court. Enjoy?

I think now we see why Crawford doesn't get more minutes...they kept blowing by him near the lane and by the time he finally made it to the 3 point line to guard. the ball was in the rim.

All numbers show that Crawford is one of our best (and easily our most efficient) offensive player. He needs to play 20-24 minutes per game. It's on him to improve and it's on the coaches to find a way to mask his weaknesses. Majerus was great at that. But for a team that is ranked 300 out of 351 teams on offense, we need to play our best guys. Not saying anyone is saying he shouldn't play. Just pointing out facts.

Now Crawford was indeed terrible on defense yesterday. As was Bartley. They got destroyed out there.

Yesterday was just a bad game. I still think we have a solid chance to win Wednesday.