early saturday rambling roy in all lower case, no initials, who couldn’t care less about spelling and grammar errors right before lasalle

billiken_roy

a big thanks to a post last week from my friend jbizzle. jbizzle is another fellow mbm. we probably disagree as much as we agree, but he is a fantastic billiken fan and an honest fan. currently i think he is a little too optimistic, but at least he disagrees on issues with honest debate and not with personal attacks. we need more jbizzles on the board.

i do hope he is right about our roster. because god help us we have to go through another season like this one. but it is going to take a significant improvement over the summer by a number of our players. it probably means one of our two incoming recruits is at least yarborough good.

one mbm last week mentioned that maybe glaze comes back if an underclassman transfers. initially i would be against that, as i think we have had enough glaze for the ages. however it was pointed out that glaze does exhibit a breath of fresh air with his energy and apparent leadership. but more importantly we save a scholarship for the next year and have grandy as a practice player for a year. i could buy that. i definitely don’t want to burn a four year scholarship on a project or a borderline under the radar guy this spring. now if the player we could sign is a starter worthy player from day one, especially a point guard, i say take the newbie. but please, don’t give us an end of the bench guy.

at this point, a number of posters have inferred that a transfer is all but certain. i used to think the same when we had shortened the bench, but then low and behold the last couple of weeks we are back to playing everyone. i would hope that if crews knows for sure there is a transfer to happen that we are not using playing time capital on the player that will be moving on this summer. thus, i no longer think that transfer is a certainty. at least not from crews standpoint. you all know I like that. a transfer should come from the player unless the player is messing up in the classroom or isn’t a good citizen. otherwise that player should be given the opportunity to get better and be a billiken and it is as much the coach's responsibility to make that happen as the player.

one of our mbm’s inferred this week that they think that calbert cheaney is the heir apparent to head coach. the name clyde drexler bring back any memories? something about trusting a millionaire to put in the time and dedication that is required to be an effective assistant coach let alone a head coach scares me. hey maybe calbert is the exception. if so, cant wait till he shows us. but it sure scares me and judging from the lack of talent and improvement of our current roster, cant say that i think our current coaching staff is tearing it up. i honestly would bet on previous college players marcus wilson and danny brown making it to the mountain top before former nba player calbert cheaney. honestly the guy i see on the bench that seems to be most engaged making decisions and input is tanner bronson. and double honestly, i just don’t think our next billiken head coach (probably wont happen for a number of years) doesn’t wear billiken blue now.

senior night. surely with only a manager and manning and maybe glaze to honor we can have the ceremony prior to the last game rather than after. i really fear the embarrassing number of fans that will stick around if it is after the game. half the crowd left last year when we had a memorable great senior class, how bad will it be with this group? regardless of how disappointed we were with this senior class, they still made the sacrifice to be a division one athlete for the billikens, gave up a lot of college life, and never embarrassed the university with off court issues or academics. they deserve our respect and grateful applause. i will be there regardless, but i truly hope we go back to pre-game honors for the seniors.

bracketology, in my world, if the tourney bids were handed out today and we had no upset in the conference tourney, i say we get three teams in the ncaa- vcu, dayton and umass and probably two teams in the nit, rhodey and lasalle. richmond and george washington are probably knocking on the nit door. everyone else is making spring break plans already.

i actually expected even less teams in the post season hunt so all in all while a down year it isn’t as down as I thought the conference would be. the a-10 is the 7th ranked rpi conference and we are ahead of the american athletic conference which has a much more impressive list of schools with a stronger ncaa history.

the mvc btw for those of you that still cant seem to let go of that nightmare is 11th ranked and that is with two top 20 schools. not where anyone wants to be.

off topic – after a second thought, i really don’t care about the statue. initially it bothered me, but then i thought about all of father biondi’s stupid statues and i can just mark this off as another one of the wasted money statues on campus. so i guess i keep donating. i can keep walking past this one the same as i do the others i dislike.

our campus is still quite beautiful. if only those of you that graduated in the last 25 years could have seen the campus back in us oldster mbm days. i am so proud to show people that didn’t go to school at saint louis university now and remember back to my days. the difference is astounding. and regardless of the contrary state (im being kind) of father biondi at the end of his term, he has lifted this university to a height i never dreamed it would be during his time as our leader. same can be said for the surrounding area. for that i am grateful for biondi's time served and glad he was here.

last, terrance, i added the “before lasalle” to give you some reference point to the thread title. i hope that helps you. J

--I have no idea how the GG situation will be handled on senior night but the way it is handled might be a clue of some sort, either way, about what happens eventually to Grandy and SLU.

--"If" we have an open spot?? My latest guess is there will be at least 2, and possibly more, available scholarships that are open for fall. Unless you have clearance, I cannot say anymore, so don't ask for names either (it's the individual players that should make it public), but I can say there is not much of an "if".... I know they really want that guard Williams; and I know the staff would NOT want an open unused schollie in the fall. Roy is correct that we should prefer GG over some benchwarmer signed late, just to fill the roster.

--Again, the "statue" is meant to honor the Jesuit mission and values of inclusiveness and diversity. And in general Americans should be pretty supportive of non-violent protest, given its centrality in our social history. Frankly, I do not speak for the faculty, but if doing the statue would cause someone to "take their $$ and go home," then please do leave. I'm sure there are others who would do the opposite -- in fact I know there are benefactors who have increased their giving because they are proud of SLU and how the situation was handled -- and about SLU's part in the historic protests of 2014 in STL -- a set of events that will go down in history. Overall I am very proud of SLU's part of those historic events.

--Roy mentioned the many hideous sculptures throughout the campus, many of which we are ashamed of when showing potential new hires around the campus. Funny how the wealthy benefactors have seemed so clueless about all those.

one mbm last week mentioned that maybe glaze comes back if an underclassman transfers. initially i would be against that, as i think we have had enough glaze for the ages. however it was pointed out that glaze does exhibit a breath of fresh air with his energy and apparent leadership. but more importantly we save a scholarship for the next year and have grandy as a practice player for a year. i could buy that. i definitely don’t want to burn a four year scholarship on a project or a borderline under the radar guy this spring. now if the player we could sign is a starter worthy player from day one, especially a point guard, i say take the newbie. but please, don’t give us an end of the bench guy.

bracketology, in my world, if the tourney bids were handed out today and we had no upset in the conference tourney, i say we get three teams in the ncaa- vcu, dayton and umass and probably two teams in the nit, rhodey and lasalle. richmond and george washington are probably knocking on the nit door. everyone else is making spring break plans already.

It doesn't seem like Glaze will be back but anything can change. Especially if Glaze doesn't like his options if he has to leave. I agree I'd take him back over an end of the bench guy. Even if Glaze ends up as an end of the bench guy, at least he's gone after one more year.

Only think I'll add to the bracketology thing is I think Davidson is borderline NCAA and NIT for sure.

a big thanks to a post last week from my friend jbizzle. jbizzle is another fellow mbm. we probably disagree as much as we agree, but he is a fantastic billiken fan and an honest fan. currently i think he is a little too optimistic, but at least he disagrees on issues with honest debate and not with personal attacks. we need more jbizzles on the board.

i do hope he is right about our roster. because god help us we have to go through another season like this one. but it is going to take a significant improvement over the summer by a number of our players. it probably means one of our two incoming recruits is at least yarborough good.

I'm getting a little misty over here, Roy.

re: transfers

I'm not going to name names, but I would be shocked if no one transfers. Here are the players who have committed in the Spring or later over the previous 5 classes

2010: Loe, Jett

2011: Glaze

2012: McBroom

2013: Lancona, Agbeko, Yacoubou

2014: Yarbrough

Recent history suggests there are difference makers out there.

re: Glaze

It puzzles me that people are still talking about the possibility of Glaze returning next year. Do people realize he's no longer part of the team? Given how his relationship with the program has deteriorated, given the health risk, given the depth at his position, given the need at other positions, and given the lack of scholarships, there is ZERO chance Glaze returns.

In general, I'm sympathetic to Glaze. He gave everything he had to the program when he was healthy and it was never going to end well once he popped his shoulder again pre-season. Regardless of his current status, I'd like to see him included in the Senior night ceremony.

re: Cheaney

The Drexler comp is a poor one. Drexler went straight from NBA (his last game was May 3rd 1998) to head coach at Houston (who were 9-20 the year before he took over). I'm no Drexler biographer, but it seems like he didn't know what he was getting into in terms of recruiting and quietly walked away after 2 seasons.

Cheaney was not the NBA superstar that Drexler was, and the post-NBA assistant coaching positions he's taken reflect a genuine desire to learn the craft. Cheaney recruited Yarbrough and presumably is playing a major role in his development at SLU. Cheaney has connections from his time at IU and in the NBA that go way beyond what Danny Brown or Marcus Wilson bring to the table.

I wouldn't call Cheaney the heir apparent, but he's definitely put himself in a position to be strongly considered as the next SLU head coach.

re: Senior Night

I've long preferred the pre-game ceremony (I remember dimming the lights at Kiel pre-game for Bonner's senior night). I know Majerus' reasons for moving it to the post-game, but it's so awkward after a loss. 2012 and 2013 were great, but this year there's no reason not to just do it pre-game.

re: bracketology

I don't know why you'd want to hand out bids today with 5 regular season games left on the schedule. Rhody can still play their way into the field with a strong finish (I don't expect it to happen but it's there), and I don't think Umass are going to end up getting in. I predict 3 at-large (VCU, Dayton, Davidson) with the possibility of a 4th auto-bid.

re: the statue

It was a historical event, regardless of whether or not you agreed with the cause. I get that the affluent suburban white point of view is pissed, but at the end of the day it's just a statue. If you're going to go through life getting upset at every dumb statue, you're going to lead a miserable existence.

--I have no idea how the GG situation will be handled on senior night but the way it is handled might be a clue of some sort, either way, about what happens eventually to Grandy and SLU.

--"If" we have an open spot?? My latest guess is there will be at least 2, and possibly more, available scholarships that are open for fall. Unless you have clearance, I cannot say anymore, so don't ask for names either (it's the individual players that should make it public), but I can say there is not much of an "if".... I know they really want that guard Williams; and I know the staff would NOT want an open unused schollie in the fall. Roy is correct that we should prefer GG over some benchwarmer signed late, just to fill the roster.

--Again, the "statue" is meant to honor the Jesuit mission and values of inclusiveness and diversity. And in general Americans should be pretty supportive of non-violent protest, given its centrality in our social history. Frankly, I do not speak for the faculty, but if doing the statue would cause someone to "take their $$ and go home," then please do leave. I'm sure there are others who would do the opposite -- in fact I know there are benefactors who have increased their giving because they are proud of SLU and how the situation was handled -- and about SLU's part in the historic protests of 2014 in STL -- a set of events that will go down in history. Overall I am very proud of SLU's part of those historic events.

--Roy mentioned the many hideous sculptures throughout the campus, many of which we are ashamed of when showing potential new hires around the campus. Funny how the wealthy benefactors have seemed so clueless about all those.

If there are at least 2 sure transfers, does the coaching staff know their identity and intent? Will they try to talk them out of transferring or welcome the open slots?

re: transfers

I'm not going to name names, but I would be shocked if no one transfers. Here are the players who have committed in the Spring or later over the previous 5 classes

2010: Loe, Jett

2011: Glaze

2012: McBroom

2013: Lancona, Agbeko, Yacoubou

2014: Yarbrough

Recent history suggests there are difference makers out there.

re: Glaze

It puzzles me that people are still talking about the possibility of Glaze returning next year. Do people realize he's no longer part of the team? Given how his relationship with the program has deteriorated, given the health risk, given the depth at his position, given the need at other positions, and given the lack of scholarships, there is ZERO chance Glaze returns.

In general, I'm sympathetic to Glaze. He gave everything he had to the program when he was healthy and it was never going to end well once he popped his shoulder again pre-season. Regardless of his current status, I'd like to see him included in the Senior night ceremony.

re: Cheaney

The Drexler comp is a poor one. Drexler went straight from NBA (his last game was May 3rd 1998) to head coach at Houston (who were 9-20 the year before he took over). I'm no Drexler biographer, but it seems like he didn't know what he was getting into in terms of recruiting and quietly walked away after 2 seasons.

Cheaney was not the NBA superstar that Drexler was, and the post-NBA assistant coaching positions he's taken reflect a genuine desire to learn the craft. Cheaney recruited Yarbrough and presumably is playing a major role in his development at SLU. Cheaney has connections from his time at IU and in the NBA that go way beyond what Danny Brown or Marcus Wilson bring to the table.

I wouldn't call Cheaney the heir apparent, but he's definitely put himself in a position to be strongly considered as the next SLU head coach.

re: Senior Night

I've long preferred the pre-game ceremony (I remember dimming the lights at Kiel pre-game for Bonner's senior night). I know Majerus' reasons for moving it to the post-game, but it's so awkward after a loss. 2012 and 2013 were great, but this year there's no reason not to just do it pre-game.

re: bracketology

I don't know why you'd want to hand out bids today with 5 regular season games left on the schedule. Rhody can still play their way into the field with a strong finish (I don't expect it to happen but it's there), and I don't think Umass are going to end up getting in. I predict 3 at-large (VCU, Dayton, Davidson) with the possibility of a 4th auto-bid.

re: the statue

It was a historical event, regardless of whether or not you agreed with the cause. I get that the affluent suburban white point of view is pissed, but at the end of the day it's just a statue. If you're going to go through life getting upset at every dumb statue, you're going to lead a miserable existence.

What's the deal with Glaze? Did he want to come back and was told no scholarship would be available under any circumstances and get mad?

What's the deal with Glaze? Did he want to come back and was told no scholarship would be available under any circumstances and get mad?

I assume that's part of it, but my understanding is the official reason he's no longer on the team is for violation of team rules (he used medicine without a prescription).

I don't have any specific info and this is all gossip and speculation, but at the end of the day you have a program that needs to move on and a player who most likely has a legitimate gripe but also didn't handle the situation as well as he should have.

Williams is a sniper? If so, we need one. I'm not too worried about PG since we have two that could/should improve. A real PF or hybrid C/PF would be very welcome. Our inside play is really horrible at this point. We need a monster big.

If SLU gets what you say they need, SLU will be good again next year, imo.

one of our mbm’s inferred this week that they think that calbert cheaney is the heir apparent to head coach. the name clyde drexler bring back any memories? something about trusting a millionaire to put in the time and dedication that is required to be an effective assistant coach let alone a head coach scares me. hey maybe calbert is the exception. if so, cant wait till he shows us. but it sure scares me and judging from the lack of talent and improvement of our current roster, cant say that i think our current coaching staff is tearing it up. i honestly would bet on previous college players marcus wilson and danny brown making it to the mountain top before former nba player calbert cheaney. honestly the guy i see on the bench that seems to be most engaged making decisions and input is tanner bronson. and double honestly, i just don’t think our next billiken head coach (probably wont happen for a number of years) doesn’t wear billiken blue now.

last, terrance, i added the “before lasalle” to give you some reference point to the thread title. i hope that helps you. J

Regarding what I've highlighted in bold, you appear to be saying that you think the next SLU head coach is a current player — or maybe a current assistant coach. Am I reading it wrong? Was your double negative unintentional?

As for the addition to the title, I still prefer more brevity in the subject. In the list, the two-line title ends with "right befo..." and doesn't have room to show "La Salle." It's not a big deal, though.

I have always, always said that the key to our program are the BIGS. Guards are easy. My first posts 7 - 8 years ago emphasized that that we never, ever have even had that strong power forward, not a star, just a role player, 6'8" - 6'9", 245 - 255 pounds, gets 8 - 10 rebounds a game, 8 - 10 points per game, a few blocks, protects the paint, the rim, intimidates. Sure a 7 foot, 260 lb. "5" is better, but let's not get carried away. Gillman and Jolley both have the potential to be very productive "5's" but only if they bulk up and increase their strength dramatically. A lot. This is not easy to do and cannot be counted on at all. Will either or both do so? Majerus got us numerous diverse BIGS, deep... we are now too young and too light and not strong enough to compete. Maybe next year.

"Just a statue"? Same as the others? NO WAY, this statue will be the result of threats and intimidation. We suddenly agree in a few days to do all of this. Big difference. 500 marched onto our campus, sure many were civilized, but many who were involved in the looting and arson and rock throwing and other property destruction loomed, and thus 13 concessions were made to "I don't know who" but we made them to get them off our private property before violence erupted. So answer me, why did we concede to 13 actions at considerable expense to a group that invaded our campus for 6 - 7 days? Please tell me what we got in return. Who did we agree to this with, what are their names, does this include everybody, we had to lock down our campus for the distinguished prosecutor to speak on our campus Friday and he was outrageously interrupted by those who I think were advocates of free speech and an "open dialog". Many of you on this board disappoint me on this matter.

The Cheaney - Drexler comp doesn't fit. Calbert has been willing to pay his dues and do it the right way. Clyde walked into a scenario where he was basically hired to create a buzz around the program.

Cheaney has the chops to be a good coach IMO. I think a job will open for him somewhere before SLU and he will bounce to a higher level before SLU has the opportunity.

I have always, always said that the key to our program are the BIGS. Guards are easy. My first posts 7 - 8 years ago emphasized that that we never, ever have even had that strong power forward, not a star, just a role player, 6'8" - 6'9", 245 - 255 pounds, gets 8 - 10 rebounds a game,

8 - 10 points per game, a few blocks, protects the paint, the rim, intimidates. Sure a 7 foot, 260 lb. "5" is better, but let's not get carried away. Gillman and Jolley both have the potential to be very productive "5's" but only if they bulk up and increase their strength dramatically. A lot. This is not easy to do and cannot be counted on at all. Will either or both do so? Majerus got us numerous diverse BIGS, deep... we are now too young and too light and not strong enough to compete. Maybe next year.

"Just a statue"? Same as the others? NO WAY, this statue will be the result of threats and intimidation. We suddenly agree in a few days to do all of this. Big difference. 500 marched onto our campus, sure many were civilized, but many who were involved in the looting and arson and rock throwing and other property destruction loomed, and thus 13 concessions were made to "I don't know who" but we made them to get them off our private property before violence erupted. So answer me, why did we concede to 13 actions at considerable expense to a group that invaded our campus for 6 - 7 days? Please tell me what we got in return. Who did we agree to this with, what are their names, does this include everybody, we had to lock down our campus for the distinguished prosecutor to speak on our campus Friday and he was outrageously interrupted by those who I think were advocates of free speech and an "open dialog". Many of you on this board disappoint me on this matter.

The big guy you describe is not a role player. He'd be a top 3 player on any Billiken team I can recall.

I have always, always said that the key to our program are the BIGS. Guards are easy. My first posts 7 - 8 years ago emphasized that that we never, ever have even had that strong power forward, not a star, just a role player, 6'8" - 6'9", 245 - 255 pounds, gets 8 - 10 rebounds a game,

8 - 10 points per game, a few blocks, protects the paint, the rim, intimidates. Sure a 7 foot, 260 lb. "5" is better, but let's not get carried away. Gillman and Jolley both have the potential to be very productive "5's" but only if they bulk up and increase their strength dramatically. A lot. This is not easy to do and cannot be counted on at all. Will either or both do so? Majerus got us numerous diverse BIGS, deep... we are now too young and too light and not strong enough to compete. Maybe next year.

If one is to believe Chris May, who I acknowledge might be toeing the company line, many of the 13 items were already in place. What is the expense to implement these items and what is your source that the expense is considerable?

SLU has received good pub and furthered it's mission through its actions. If staying true to the Jesuit mission is not enough reward for SLU then maybe you're the one that is misguided.

It doesn't seem like Glaze will be back but anything can change. Especially if Glaze doesn't like his options if he has to leave. I agree I'd take him back over an end of the bench guy. Even if Glaze ends up as an end of the bench guy, at least he's gone after one more year.

Only think I'll add to the bracketology thing is I think Davidson is borderline NCAA and NIT for sure.

I agree on Davidson and hope they make the dance. I forget is GG graduating or has already? if not is he even in school?

I assume that's part of it, but my understanding is the official reason he's no longer on the team is for violation of team rules (he used medicine without a prescription).

I don't have any specific info and this is all gossip and speculation, but at the end of the day you have a program that needs to move on and a player who most likely has a legitimate gripe but also didn't handle the situation as well as he should have.

The arguments by many on this Board in favor of having GG back is because he would be leader which our team needs. A "good in the locker room" guy who is well liked, brings energy, is positive, encouraging... Unless I am mistaken, these attributes seem no longer to be the case - except for the energy part. And undersized guy who gets rebounds and garbage points but is not a primary threat.

And correct me about another thing: which players did we knowingly recruit to be end of the bench guys? Instead, I recall high praise and expectations for all of our current players, some of whom disappointed and became end of the bench players.

The big guy you describe is not a role player. He'd be a top 3 player on any Billiken team I can recall.

Agree but I think in this context I mean a starter but an inside "role player" in that he would not a big star and scorer, just a 6'9" muscular banger focused on rebounding and intimidating the opponents in the paint, protecting the inside. A few garbage baskets as his reward, so about 8 -10 rebounds and 8 - 10 points per game, but helps the team more this way than with his stats alone.

And someone who is ready to contribute inside as a freshman and start as a sophomore instead of us hoping he will eventually (sigh) gain weight and strength.

After last night's games, the picture still isn't any clearer for who is going to make the dance from the A-10. The only sure thing is VCU. I'd place Dayton as a near-lock, but that loss to Duquesne could come back to bite them if they are straddling the bubble. UMass losing to VCU was expected, but they really need to finish strong to show they belong. Currently, they are banking on their solid computer numbers due to their extremely strong non-conf SOS. However, they still only have a so-so conference record of 9-5 and an overall win-loss of 16-11. I say they need to win 3 of their next 4 to get in, and they can't lose to either St. Joe or Fordham.

After that, Davidson is still in decent position to make a run. However, of their final four regular season games, only one seems like a somewhat sure win (Duquesne). Even that one might be tough as it is on the road. If they go 2-2 to finish out the season, they will have an RPI in the mid-50s. Pick up at least one win in the conf tourney and I can see them squeaking in. However, if they go 1-3 to finish out the regular season, then they have to win at least 2 in the tournament to have a shot.

GW is done. Even if they finish strong in the regular season they need to make the finals of the conf tourney to even have an outside chance.

Richmond has a slightly better chance than GW. For them to get in, they can't lose against SLU or St. Joe, and they need to win at least one against UMass and VCU. On top of that, at least two wins are needed in the tournament to be considered.

Not sure I see a scenario where LaSalle can get in other than making a run in Brooklyn. Winning out in the regular season -- possible as their two toughest remaining opponents are at home-- puts their RPI into the mid-50s. Still, it would seem they need to finish on a long winning streak that carries into the conference tournament to catch the eye of the committee. Just don't see that happening with them.

I think Rhode Island has a decent shot, too. They probably need to finish the season 3-1, which is absolutely do-able given their schedule. They also likely need a win in the A10 Tourney. Rhodey could very well win the league...or at least share the title