early saturday rambling roy in all lower case, no initials, who couldn’t care less about spelling and grammar errors right before lasalle

billiken_roy

I think Rhode Island has a decent shot, too. They probably need to finish the season 3-1, which is absolutely do-able given their schedule. They also likely need a win in the A10 Tourney. Rhodey could very well win the league...or at least share the title

Yeah, totally forgot to count Rhode Island. I think they have as legit a shot as Davidson. Just forgot to include them.

I reject the notion that just because a 2015 recruit is visiting that the coaches know who is transferring.

All it means is that there's a decent chance someone will transfer.

If you are paying attention to current events, you can figure out who is currently most likely to transfer.

Just because a player is currently most likely to not be back next year, does not necessarily mean he has no value to this team - or that he doesn't deserve spot minutes when other players are benched for foul trouble or failure to follow coaching instructions. We've seen multiple players over the last month go from buried on the bench to crunch time players.

Some have asked why the coaching staff plays players who appear likely to transfer after the end of the season. Why not? The player is getting a scholarship to play and the team needs for him to contribute in practice and in games. If he doesn't want to do that, then he should leave immediately -- but college ball isn't like a profession, as the school doesn't get the scholarship money back if the player decides to leave in the middle of the year. And even more important is the need to get the player to complete school through the end of the semester, both for his eligibility and the school's APR. So even if the player wants to leave after the year is over (or if the coaching staff feels a parting of ways would be in both parties' mutual best interests), civility must be maintained through the end of the semester.

Some have asked why the coaching staff plays players who appear likely to transfer after the end of the season. Why not? The player is getting a scholarship to play and the team needs for him to contribute in practice and in games. If he doesn't want to do that, then he should leave immediately -- but college ball isn't like a profession, as the school doesn't get the scholarship money back if the player decides to leave in the middle of the year. And even more important is the need to get the player to complete school through the end of the semester, both for his eligibility and the school's APR. So even if the player wants to leave after the year is over (or if the coaching staff feels a parting of ways would be in both parties' mutual best interests), civility must be maintained through the end of the semester.

who would you consider likely to transfer?

I understand all of the above. But people have asked all season why Manning is continuing to get playing time. The basic reasons are that he is not contributing much right now and he is obviously not part of the future. Unless (God forbid) it's one of the current major contributors who is leaving, then those same reasons are there not to waste playing time on a lameduck transfer.

Totally agree. Let's say for discussion purposes that Yarbough and Reynolds have told the staff "We're gone....package deal to DePaul". So do we not play them the rest of the year? To me that would be ridiculous. You play who you have today and worry about next year, next year.

who would you consider likely to transfer?

I'm not close enough to the team to have the foggiest idea, but I'm sure the coaching staff has a decent handle on the players' feelings. I do have my thoughts on who I wouldn't mind seeing transfer, but I'll keep them to myself.

I understand all of the above. But people have asked all season why Manning is continuing to get playing time. The basic reasons are that he is not contributing much right now and he is obviously not part of the future. Unless (God forbid) it's one of the current major contributors who is leaving, then those same reasons are there not to waste playing time on a lameduck transfer.

Because the team needs some contributions from some of the lame-duck player(s), their contributions aren't a waste of playing time or practice. Manning is a strong 6-11 defender, whereas Gillmann and Jolly are strength-challenged and/or inexperienced and vulnerable. And potential transfers are still receiving a scholarship to practice and play, so they should be expected and allowed to do so if healthy. If the matchups or scenarios work best with a supposed lame-duck player in the game, then that player should put in his best effort despite his desire to leave. That's part of being mature and responsible. It's better to be able to get some whole-hearted effort out of a guy who's so bad that he can't get the splinters out of his butt if he's needed (because of matchups, injury, foul trouble, or horrid play by rotation players) than to squander the scholarship by dismissing the player from the team. The exception would be if the player became a cancer. It's nice that SLU recruits players with personalities to stick it out rather than become outwardly disgruntled. If we think this year is bad, we might either have forgotten or not been around for the 1991-92 implosion (along with the foibles of the prior two years with Kevin Footes and Orlando Stewart)!

Purely for the sake of a hypothetical (not trying to start rumors), say somebody like Lancona had told the staff he was transferring. If the staff really knows he won't be back next year, I would rather see him become a practice player with Simpson and Hines for the rest of the season. I agree it's part of being a grownup to fulfill your obligation to your team for the rest of the year, and that it would be poor form and needlessly wasteful for the school to outright dismiss him early. But I just don't see the point in giving a guy like that time on the court.

Ditto with Manning. I have tried to be more positive than most around here on him this season, but lately he hasn't even been useful on defense under the basket. He hasn't even blocked a shot since the game at Dayton, I think. And it sounds like he's been dealing with injuries lately. He deserves to start on senior night if healthy, but outside that, I'd like to see him become essentially a practice player as well.

Obviously if it's somebody we actually need right now and who has actually been helping the team on the court lately, it's a different story.

Purely for the sake of a hypothetical (not trying to start rumors), say somebody like Lancona had told the staff he was transferring. If the staff really knows he won't be back next year, I would rather see him become a practice player with Simpson and Hines for the rest of the season. I agree it's part of being a grownup to fulfill your obligation to your team for the rest of the year, and that it would be poor form and needlessly wasteful for the school to outright dismiss him early. But I just don't see the point in giving a guy like that time on the court.

Ditto with Manning. I have tried to be more positive than most around here on him this season, but lately he hasn't even been useful on defense under the basket. He hasn't even blocked a shot since the game at Dayton, I think. And it sounds like he's been dealing with injuries lately. He deserves to start on senior night if healthy, but outside that, I'd like to see him become essentially a practice player as well.

Obviously if it's somebody we actually need right now and who has actually been helping the team on the court lately, it's a different story.

Well, the playing time of certain players has dwindled to nothing or emergencies only, hasn't it?

Totally agree. Let's say for discussion purposes that Yarbough and Reynolds have told the staff "We're gone....package deal to DePaul". So do we not play them the rest of the year? To me that would be ridiculous. You play who you have today and worry about next year, next year.

what a horrible thought. i think all freshman are staying as long as they're wanted.