Who exactly is in charge of substitutions/lineup rotations?

Duff Man

How do you figure? I thought it was one of his worst games as a Billiken. Stupid moving screens (what's new), didn't score, was poor in defense despite having had six inches on anyone on the floor for SVU, had dumb turnovers, and didn't rebound. In his last five games, he has zero blocks. How is that even possible at 6'11"? He just does things out there that, frankly, are unacceptable for a senior to do. Give me AG, BJ, or TL out there before Manning every day of the week please.

I agree completely. If Bronson is the guy in charge of subbing then forget him as the next coach as some here seem to want.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With Pollard and Pierre, that seemed like a game for RA, instead of our big slow Bigs. I have been very patient in trying not to form an opinion on Jolly too quickly, but after nearly a full season, I just don't see much of an upside. Several posters seem to like him, I just don't see it. A couple of people have even compared him to Conklin - STOP! I know they are each front court white guys with similar haircuts, but STOP! Conklin was much better as a freshman and showed signs that he could score. For those who like his game, please tell me what I'm missing.

Jolly drew a T on Pollard. That counts for something.

He's not an above average player on either end, but he's not soft and he does have an awkward low post fade away that will avoid a shot clock violation. As an 11th or 12th man, he's fine.

The Conklin comparison initially came from his toughness and chip on his shoulder. At this point, it should be put to rest unless Jolly turns into a low post scoring beast.

He's not an above average player on either end, but he's not soft and he does have an awkward low post fade away that will avoid a shot clock violation. As an 11th or 12th man, he's fine.

The Conklin comparison initially came from his toughness and chip on his shoulder. At this point, it should be put to rest unless Jolly turns into a low post scoring beast.

and I don't picture him being T'd up for giving a sissy push to the guy that outplayed him the preceding possession like JM did in the last game.

With Pollard and Pierre, that seemed like a game for RA, instead of our big slow Bigs. I have been very patient in trying not to form an opinion on Jolly too quickly, but after nearly a full season, I just don't see much of an upside. Several posters seem to like him, I just don't see it. A couple of people have even compared him to Conklin - STOP! I know they are each front court white guys with similar haircuts, but STOP! Conklin was much better as a freshman and showed signs that he could score. For those who like his game, please tell me what I'm missing.

I agree with Duff Man that the comparison comes more from Jolly's attitude and energy than style/quality of play.

ACE, I wasn't here for Conklin's freshman year (started school in 09-10), but most of what I remember of Conklin from his sophomore year was missing 3-4 bunnies in a row but getting the rebound and usually eventually getting the bucket. I don't remember thinking he was showing a ton of signs, that's why we call it a Conklin summer. It was a huge, non-linear improvement.

I agree with Duff Man that the comparison comes more from Jolly's attitude and energy than style/quality of play.

ACE, I wasn't here for Conklin's freshman year (started school in 09-10), but most of what I remember of Conklin from his sophomore year was missing 3-4 bunnies in a row but getting the rebound and usually eventually getting the bucket. I don't remember thinking he was showing a ton of signs, that's why we call it a Conklin summer. It was a huge, non-linear improvement.

Can vouch for Conklin as the king of the missed bunny freshman year also. It was agonizing.

Conklin played on 2 bad legs for at least 2 seasons. The Conklin summer thing was legit but it's a little overblown by him simply getting healthy.

-how can players sit for entire games in a row and then magically get minutes? in TL's case especially after we played a horrible game at Fordham and sit the whole game and then play the next game

-beyond strange

Still not as weird as him sitting for 35 minutes against RI and then coming in to a close game in the last five minutes.

Conklin played on 2 bad legs for at least 2 seasons. The Conklin summer thing was legit but it's a little overblown by him simply getting healthy.

Agreed. I was about ready to make the same point. The "Conklin summer" has become mythical. Conklin showed plenty of flashes of being a good player prior to his big senior season. As a freshman, he averaged 6.1 ppg and 3.9 rpg. His field goal percentage was a very solid 52%. It's not saying much, but the freshman Conklin would clearly be our best big this year. As a sophomore he started out with a couple of huge games, I believe he scored something like 24 points against Notre Dame's Harongody in a tournament. If I recall, BC got hurt in that tournament and he was never the same the rest of the season, but based on his early performances, it looked like he was poised for a big year. As a junior, during the situation season, Conklin posted a solid 8.7 ppg and 4.3 rpg for a very inexperienced team. He showed flashes with a couple of huge games against a good Xavier team. Then as a senior, with a much better supporting cast, he averaged 13.9 ppg and 4.6 rpg - definitely a big step forward, but not a miraculous improvement.

-how can players sit for entire games in a row and then magically get minutes? in TL's case especially after we played a horrible game at Fordham and sit the whole game and then play the next game

-beyond strange

When Lancona cracked the lineup for the first time in six games it was because Crews blew a gasket on the sideline because Agbeko didn't box out, and wanted him out immediately. There was a surprised look on Lancona's face and some excitement on the bench when his name was called to head to the scorer's table. He put up ok numbers for his ten minutes yesterday.

2PTS/3R/2A/1S

*stats from espn.com, may not match other websites you check Mr. Cowboy

When Lancona cracked the lineup for the first time in six games it was because Crews blew a gasket on the sideline because Agbeko didn't box out, and wanted him out immediately. There was a surprised look on Lancona's face and some excitement on the bench when his name was called to head to the scorer's table. He put up ok numbers for his ten minutes yesterday.

2PTS/3R/2A/1S

It was Platt who called Lancona to head in after Crews repeatedly said to get Agbeko out.

1.5 seasons in and RA still isn't boxing out how Crews wants him to. I don't know much about basketball, but boxing out seems like a fairly simple concept to me. I imagine a lot of this is on RA, but I also have to (without any real evidence) put blame on the coaching staff. The staff should be able to teach a kid with Agbeko's size how to properly block out and get in position for a rebound unless RA is just completely unteachable or otherwise tuning out the coaches. I don't get the sense that RA is unteachable. Our bigs need to get these simple things down (that's on the players) and we need a coaching staff that is able to teach this to our bigs (that's on the staff).

From the substitutions (this year and last), lack of player development (this year and last), lack of sharpness on both sides of the ball (this year), and general lack of identifiable team growth (this year), I have very real concerns about this coaching staff.

From the lack of focus, energy, ability to execute simple things, and general lack of "getting it", I have real concerns with our players.

Am I the only one on the board that thinks Bartley can be the long term PG option? I still have faith that with some weightroom work and experience he can improve. We dont have a Kwamain Mitchell on our hands, but he's tall, sees the floor decently well, is a plus shooter, and is a long defender. I see potential.

I guess I just feel like our current substitution patterns and lineup combinations aren't working so I'd like to try something new. i.e. Roby at the point, Agbeko at the 5, etc

Two guard set with Bartley and Roby. Ash at the 3. Milik and Agebeko down low.

2PTS/3R/2A/1S

I noticed that also. Yarbrough had already been pulled for dogging it on defense and the when Reggie did the same Crews about lost it. While I don't understand some of the subs/pt issues, the Lancona appearance was pretty easy to figure out.

From the substitutions (this year and last), lack of player development (this year and last), lack of sharpness on both sides of the ball (this year), and general lack of identifiable team growth (this year), I have very real concerns about this coaching staff.

From the lack of focus, energy, ability to execute simple things, and general lack of "getting it", I have real concerns with our players.

-other than these issues we are in great shape

Am I the only one on the board that thinks Bartley can be the long term PG option? I still have faith that with some weightroom work and experience he can improve. We dont have a Kwamain Mitchell on our hands, but he's tall, sees the floor decently well, is a plus shooter, and is a long defender. I see potential.

Definitely has potential. But I still think we need more than him running the point. Whether it's someone else that we already have on the roster or whether it's a recruit to bring in next year.

Lancona made a nice pass to Gillmann in the first half, and he caught a bullet from Roby and converted a layup in the 2nd half. Those were really nice plays.

The problem with Lancona is and has always been his poor outside shooting and rebounding.

His miserable defense, free throw shooting, court awareness and hustle dont contribute to "the problem" at all?

Agreed, but you didn't have any issues with the actual game play last year? I thought Jett and his late game plays masked a lot of issues last season that would have been scrutinized more had we lost a few of the close games we were able to pull off with Jett just going 1 on 1 and refusing to lose. I remember a lot of "a win is a win" talk throughout last season when people questioned Crews.

I am interested to see how things go next year, I have no idea what to expect, but have similar concerns.