Who exactly is in charge of substitutions/lineup rotations?

Duff Man

My impression is that assistants have handled the subs going back to the Majerus era. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. The buck stops with Crews, but whoever was in charge of the rotation cost us the game tonight.

Lancona should NEVER play alongside either Jolly or Manning...and for god sakes certainly not with Crawford in there too

I think Jolly does fine with his role, Manning had a decent game, and Lancona did some things well - but they are all below average at rebounding the ball. One at a time please. Crawford does many things well, but rebounding is not one of them. You should never have a frontcourt made up of below average rebounders on the floor for more than one or two possesions - and use a timeout if necessary to get a legit rebounder in there.

More to the point...

Why don't we play Agbeko and Yarbrough in tandem?

Dayton has no players over 6'6. It was clear early on that Pollard was able to neutralize Yarbrough on the block. Why not throw Agbeko in there with Yarbrough and go to whover Pollard wasn't guarding? Early in the year I thought Yarbrough to Agbeko would be a brilliant combination...but we almost never see them together on the floor - save for that VCU game - possibly our best performance of the year.

I'm willing to give Crews the benefit of the doubt in prioritizing player development over wins, but this was a quality win there for the taking and we just pissed it away...and I think the fact that Yarbrough and Agbeko combined for only 29 minutes while Manning/Lancona/Jolly combined for 31 was a massive coaching blunder.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My impression is that assistants have handled the subs going back to the Majerus era. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. The buck stops with Crews, but whoever was in charge of the rotation cost us the game tonight.

Lancona should NEVER play alongside either Jolly or Manning...and for god sakes certainly not with Crawford in there too

I think Jolly does fine with his role, Manning had a decent game, and Lancona did some things well - but they are all below average at rebounding the ball. One at a time please. Crawford does many things well, but rebounding is not one of them. You should never have a frontcourt made up of below average rebounders on the floor for more than one or two possesions - and use a timeout if necessary to get a legit rebounder in there.

More to the point...

Dayton has no players over 6'6. It was clear early on that Pollard was able to neutralize Yarbrough on the block. Why not throw Agbeko in there with Yarbrough and go to whover Pollard wasn't guarding? Early in the year I thought Yarbrough to Agbeko would be a brilliant combination...but we almost never see them together on the floor - save for that VCU game - possibly our best performance of the year.

I'm willing to give Crews the benefit of the doubt in prioritizing player development over wins, but this was a quality win there for the taking and we just pissed it away...and I think the fact that Yarbrough and Agbeko combined for only 29 minutes while Manning/Lancona/Jolly combined for 31 was a massive coaching blunder.

I cannot agree with you more. Who is in charge of these lineups? When we went through the horrible stretch in the 2nd half where both teams could not buy a bucket except for when we went down low why weren't RA and MY in that lineup to punish the post.

Yet the minute RA gets put in late in the 2nd half he gets a big offensive rebound, strong putback. We had this game in our sights but once again Crews and Co are still monkeying with the lineup this late in the season. Here is a clue, play your best rebounding and offensive lineup then sub around it to keep the momentum going. RA sat too long and I still do not know what he did in the first half to have him sit that long. Defensive error...ok but it was no a bonehead turnover. Which is worst a unforced turnover (plenty in this game) or a aggressive defensive foul on a botched rotation? The kid is a hardnose defensive presence, rebounds like it is his job, and is a problem in the post to stop. He plays his butt off when put in and is very selective about his offensive attempts. Something wasted on some of the leaders on this team. I have seen enough garbage shots thrown up to last me a lifetime. Why not reward him for his tenacity and give him the opportunity to build on those strengths he possesses before A10 playoffs. It is time for his minutes to go up so he can move along in his development by end of season. Saw him tweak that ankle and it so happens when we really needed his game to push us over the hump. We know what MY can do but any basketball head can see that both of these guys playing together will help each to become more efficient in their skills.

This goes the same for MC. That kid is the truth! He is like a creature in Jurassic Park that keeps testing the fence to figure out where the holes are. I want to see more of him. I am going to bed!

How do you figure? I thought it was one of his worst games as a Billiken. Stupid moving screens (what's new), didn't score, was poor in defense despite having had six inches on anyone on the floor for SVU, had dumb turnovers, and didn't rebound. In his last five games, he has zero blocks. How is that even possible at 6'11"? He just does things out there that, frankly, are unacceptable for a senior to do. Give me AG, BJ, or TL out there before Manning every day of the week please.

I cannot agree with you more. Who is in charge of these lineups? When we went through the horrible stretch in the 2nd half where both teams could not buy a bucket except for when we went down low why weren't RA and MY in that lineup to punish the post.

Yet the minute RA gets put in late in the 2nd half he gets a big offensive rebound, strong putback. We had this game in our sights but once again Crews and Co are still monkeying with the lineup this late in the season. Here is a clue, play your best rebounding and offensive lineup then sub around it to keep the momentum going. RA sat too long and I still do not know what he did in the first half to have him sit that long. Defensive error...ok but it was no a bonehead turnover. Which is worst a unforced turnover (plenty in this game) or a aggressive defensive foul on a botched rotation? The kid is a hardnose defensive presence, rebounds like it is his job, and is a problem in the post to stop. He plays his butt off when put in and is very selective about his offensive attempts. Something wasted on some of the leaders on this team. I have seen enough garbage shots thrown up to last me a lifetime. Why not reward him for his tenacity and give him the opportunity to build on those strengths he possesses before A10 playoffs. It is time for his minutes to go up so he can move along in his development by end of season. Saw him tweak that ankle and it so happens when we really needed his game to push us over the hump. We know what MY can do but any basketball head can see that both of these guys playing together will help each to become more efficient in their skills.

This goes the same for MC. That kid is the truth! He is like a creature in Jurassic Park that keeps testing the fence to figure out where the holes are. I want to see more of him. I am going to bed!

Crawford was really bad last night.

How do you figure? I thought it was one of his worst games as a Billiken. Stupid moving screens (what's new), didn't score, was poor in defense despite having had six inches on anyone on the floor for SVU, had dumb turnovers, and didn't rebound. In his last five games, he has zero blocks. How is that even possible at 6'11"? He just does things out there that, frankly, are unacceptable for a senior to do. Give me AG, BJ, or TL out there before Manning every day of the week please.

-the one foul on the screen where our center is keeping defenders from a driving guard could have been called many, many times this season and this was the first time I can remember seeing it called

-also, on some of the screens out top it is on the guard to ensure the screen is set before they drive so that goes to timing so not sure who is to blame on this, the guard, the big, the coaching

-but saying all of that, I expected more from JM and that is probably my fault, a player can only do what a player can do

-and I hope MC's girlfriend comes back or whatever caused him to be sleepwalking much of the game gets resolved

-also, on some of the screens out top it is on the guard to ensure the screen is set before they drive so that goes to timing so not sure who is to blame on this, the guard, the big, the coaching

Roy has mentioned this, but Bartley is absolutely horrible at taking a ball screen.

1-2 0-0 0-0 0 2 2 4 2 2 3 0 0 16

that's manning's stat line. For our senior starting center.

2 rebounds. TWO.

-how can players sit for entire games in a row and then magically get minutes? in TL's case especially after we played a horrible game at Fordham and sit the whole game and then play the next game

-beyond strange

The coaches see the players every day in practice plus the games. We see them, on average, for about 20-25 minutes each, twice a week. I have to defer to the coaching staff.

Decent by Manning standards - especially in the first half. He hit an 18 foot jumper. Had 2 assists. He had a nice hard foul where he prevented a basket instead of allowing the and 1. He didn't blatantly shove anyone away from the ball right in front of the ref like he did against Fordham. He had 2 offensive fouls on consecutive possessions in the 2nd half, but he was doing his job. The first one he got caught on a moving low post screen for the slasher. Teams in general get away with this all the time but Manning got caught here. That was the correct call, but I don't fault Manning. The 2nd one was a clean pick against a much smaller player and they just decided to call an offensive foul because the ref saw the guard bounce off Manning out of the corner of his eye. That wiped out a 3 by Roby. Manning was doing what he's supposed to do and was very unlucky.

1-2 0-0 0-0 0 2 2 4 2 2 3 0 0 16

that's manning's stat line. For our senior starting center.

2 rebounds. TWO.

On the season and for his SLU career Manning averages 5.4 boards per 40 minutes. Last night he had 2 boards in 16 minutes which translates to 5 boards per 40. Given that he is and always has been a below average rebounder, that stat line is decent by his standards especially considering 2 of the 3 turnovers were for him doing his job.

Rather than blame Manning, I blame the coaching staff for playing 3 poor rebounding forwards at the same time for extended stretches of the game.

On the season and for his SLU career Manning averages 5.4 boards per 40 minutes. Last night he had 2 boards in 16 minutes which translates to 5 boards per 40. Given that he is and always has been a below average rebounder, that stat line is decent by his standards especially considering 2 of the 3 turnovers were for him doing his job.

Rather than blame Manning, I blame the coaching staff for playing 3 poor rebounding forwards at the same time for extended stretches of the game.

Can't disagree. Suppose I just wanted to point out that a "decent" game by Manning should be considered a "bad" game for any starting center worth his weight.

More to the point...

With Pollard and Pierre, that seemed like a game for RA, instead of our big slow Bigs. I have been very patient in trying not to form an opinion on Jolly too quickly, but after nearly a full season, I just don't see much of an upside. Several posters seem to like him, I just don't see it. A couple of people have even compared him to Conklin - STOP! I know they are each front court white guys with similar haircuts, but STOP! Conklin was much better as a freshman and showed signs that he could score. For those who like his game, please tell me what I'm missing.