GDT: SLU vs ChevyPork Billygoats

jimbofive

I'm with jbizzle. In a couple years we can link back to this thread and get a kick out of the dire predictions for the future, much like the recently posted thread from 2010-11.

Don't know if we will turn it around quite as quick as jbizzle thinks but all is not lost folks.

Let's get some of the present figured out before we talk about the future.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's get some of the present figured out before we talk about the future.

That sounds fine and all but it really doesn't matter. Just like going 12-19 in 2010-11 didn't affect the next year it really doesn't matter if we win against Fordham as far as next season goes. It would be nice, yes but it's not really critical.

Along those lines and consistent with thoughts from many earlier in this thread, mannings minutes from here on out should be severely limited. Let's get jolly, Reggie and Gillman as much experience as possible and figure out what we really have with all of them.

That sounds fine and all but it really doesn't matter. Just like going 12-19 in 2010-11 didn't affect the next year it really doesn't matter if we win against Fordham as far as next season goes. It would be nice, yes but it's not really critical.

Along those lines and consistent with thoughts from many earlier in this thread, mannings minutes from here on out should be severely limited. Let's get jolly, Reggie and Gillman as much experience as possible and figure out what we really have with all of them.

Manning is an easy case. He doesn't help this team win now and he's not part of the future. I would put him in "healthy scratch" mode the rest of the year.

I want to see way more lineups with Agbeko at the 5. We are better when we go small (not saying we're good).

100% agree. We should be trying lots of new things down the stretch.

It didn't work yesterday but at least they tried the twin towers approach for a while. Try new stuff as the old approach hasn't worked.

Manning is an easy case. He doesn't help this team win now and he's not part of the future. I would put him in "healthy scratch" mode the rest of the year.

100%. He doesn't deserve to be out there. Our big men are awful and he's worse than any of them. Let's develop the big guys we do have that will actually be here so they can get better.

the big 3 seem to have no drive for rebounds. if it comes right to them the opponents steal it and if goes anywhere else they don't pursue. the 2 Y's both have drive but there lack of height comparatively underneath hampers them. I to would use Reggie as a 5.

Playing time and gaining valuable in game experience is what the kid needed the whole time. Now give him the minutes so he can contribute more offensively and defensively. That is how he will grow into a dependable player for us. The talent, quickness, athleticism, and size is there. Use it!

What Reggie needs is more time on the floor to work out some of the turnover issues.

There's plenty of time left this year to do just that.

Reggie has certainly been given plenty of time and chances -- both this year and last. And for the most part, he has not produced. At the same time, Reggie still simply has too much going for him (height, strength,cross over moves, rebounding, raw & inexperienced but still only a Soph) to easily given up on him. All year long, though, I have been saying that he (and TL for that matter) should be given time to play the 5 along with MY. Without making excuses for Reggie, Manning, Gillmann and Jolly are just not offensive threats while playing the 5 and do not make others around them better. And except for Crawford in some recent games, we have not had a perimeter threat from the 3 in years. Therefore, alot of pressure is placed upon whoever we ask to play the 4 for us -- DE and Reggie last year, MY, Reggie, Tanner this year.

Now, when we go small with Reggie and MY out there together, the spacing is simply much better and the passing lanes seem to open up. MY can certainly feed Reggie in the low post better than John Manning or Brett Jolly can. Also, Reggie now has room to dribble and show off that cross over. I say keep this up.

Now, I am certainly not giving up on Jolly or Gillmann. Manning? yes, he deserves to be a "healthy scratch" (as previously mentioned) from here on out. Now, I do like Gllmann's future but I am not wild about his present. Honestly, if Gillmann is going to shy away from the interior and not only play but score almost exclusively from the perimeter, then there become more guys I would rather see playing on the perimeter. What is the purpose of playing a 5 if he won't play/score from the interior and if he doesn't rebound? Serious question: why not 4 guards and Malik? Sorry, but Gillmann needs to learn to play on the interior -- it will take time and the results won't be pretty at first. But I don't feel that he is even willing to start playing on the interior this year.

Reggie has certainly been given plenty of time and chances -- both this year and last. And for the most part, he has not produced. At the same time, Reggie still simply has too much going for him (height, strength,cross over moves, rebounding, raw & inexperienced but still only a Soph) to easily given up on him. All year long, though, I have been saying that he (and TL for that matter) should be given time to play the 5 along with MY. Without making excuses for Reggie, Manning, Gillmann and Jolly are just not offensive threats while playing the 5 and do not make others around them better. And except for Crawford in some recent games, we have not had a perimeter threat from the 3 in years. Therefore, alot of pressure is placed upon whoever we ask to play the 4 for us -- DE and Reggie last year, MY, Reggie, Tanner this year.

Now, when we go small with Reggie and MY out there together, the spacing is simply much better and the passing lanes seem to open up. MY can certainly feed Reggie in the low post better than John Manning or Brett Jolly can. Also, Reggie now has room to dribble and show off that cross over. I say keep this up.

Now, I am certainly not giving up on Jolly or Gillmann. Manning? yes, he deserves to be a "healthy scratch" (as previously mentioned) from here on out. Now, I do like Gllmann's future but I am not wild about his present. Honestly, if Gillmann is going to shy away from the interior and not only play but score almost exclusively from the perimeter, then there become more guys I would rather see playing on the perimeter. What is the purpose of playing a 5 if he won't play/score from the interior and if he doesn't rebound? Serious question: why not 4 guards and Malik? Sorry, but Gillmann needs to learn to play on the interior -- it will take time and the results won't be pretty at first. But I don't feel that he is even willing to start playing on the interior this year.

It's just factually incorrect to say Reggie has "certainly" received plenty of time and chances this year and last. Reggie was hurt most of last year and has received on average has received the fewest minutes per game of the 12 scholarship players. Oddly enough, he is tied for 3rd in rpg.

Any time RA got as a freshman is null and void once he had the corrective surgery done last year in March I believe. Then spends the next 6 months in rehab before playing actual full contact basketball in late September. So the court rust we saw earlier did not help to increase his PT. Overall he has made good strides and his upside is tremendous if he can keep growing in the game. Time will tell....

-i have thought about MB, MC, DR, AY and MY and would like to see that tried, esp against SVU that can't just beat us with height

It's just factually incorrect to say Reggie has "certainly" received plenty of time and chances this year and last. Reggie was hurt most of last year and has received on average has received the fewest minutes per game of the 12 scholarship players. Oddly enough, he is tied for 3rd in rpg.

No. Reggie was NOT "hurt most of last year" and he did have chances and playing time last year and this year. I stand by my comments.

No. Reggie was NOT "hurt most of last year" and he did have chances and playing time last year and this year. I stand by my comments.

Last year, he played in 17 out of 34 games. So I guess we are both technically wrong. He also played a grand total of 95 whopping minutes last year (according to espn.com) or 7% of the 1360 minutes (34 games x 40 minutes, not including any OT) the team played last year. MC and TL each played nearly twice as many minutes as Agbeko. The only guy that Agbeko played more than was Joey LePak. By those metrics, I'd say he didn't have any chances last year.

This year, and my prior post is unclear on this, he is receiving the fewest average minutes per game of all scholarship players. In terms of total minutes played, he has played the 9th most total minutes this year. Relative to his competition for playing time, RA is ahead of only TL (by 74 minutes) and BJ (by 11 minutes). I'm not exactly sure how you are measuring "chances", but it doesn't seem like Reggie has had a lot of them either this year or last.

Last year, he played in 17 out of 34 games. So I guess we are both technically wrong. He also played a grand total of 95 whopping minutes last year (according to espn.com) or 7% of the 1360 minutes (34 games x 40 minutes, not including any OT) the team played last year. MC and TL each played nearly twice as many minutes as Agbeko. The only guy that Agbeko played more than was Joey LePak. By those metrics, I'd say he didn't have any chances last year.

This year, and my prior post is unclear on this, he is receiving the fewest average minutes per game of all scholarship players. In terms of total minutes played, he has played the 9th most total minutes this year. Relative to his competition for playing time, RA is ahead of only TL (by 74 minutes) and BJ (by 11 minutes). I'm not exactly sure how you are measuring "chances", but it doesn't seem like Reggie has had a lot of them either this year or last.

agree.

agbeko got very little time last year and this year as well.

i am not sure how much of this is injury related, one poster stated that agbeko missed full contact basketball from medical problems from last march to september, which if accurate certainly hindered his progress.

i stated about 14 days ago that too many here have given up on him, whereas i think he is high potential and could be a key player, only a soph, a big with many tools.

Gillmann is a serious threat from the perimeter. He's 12-32, 37.5%, from the perimeter. At 6'10" a man that can shoot nearly 40% from deep is a big advantage to any offense. There are only three players shooting better from 3, MB, MC,, AM, and plenty of times they're simply not an option. We've used the stretch big for years now, CE, RL, *TL, AG, and it's been pretty successful. He strays away from the inside because he weighs as much as my German Shepard. On the inside he's simply bullied and thrown around and part of that is confidence. He doesn't seem to show any basketball IQ from the inside and I believe that's simply because he doesn't want to stray from his comfort zone. I'm perfectly fine with that. His inside game will mature and the only way for that to happen, and for it to do so at a quicker rate, is to give the kid playing time and work with what he's got.

+100

Crawford can shoot and Agbeko can rebound. Nothing against either of those guys, but it is easy to get discouraged when you see fans touting these single-facet strengths as making them big difference makers. They both have their uses, but if either one is a "key player" or anything much more than a role player over the next two years then I wouldn't expect those teams to be very good.

Crawford can shoot and Agbeko can rebound. Nothing against either of those guys, but it is easy to get discouraged when you see fans touting these single-facet strengths as making them big difference makers. They both have their uses, but if either one is a "key player" or anything much more than a role player over the next two years then I wouldn't expect those teams to be very good.

I don't agree. Every team needs a lights out shooter,every team needs a monster on the boards. Can these 2 be those guys? who knows. A good team is all about filling roles. It's the sum of the roles that makes a good team.

Crawford is a good shooter. I would hardly call him a lights out shooter. Agbeko is a good rebounder. I would hardly call him a monster on the boards. If Crawford and Agbeko prove me wrong by somehow morphing into Mica Mason and Paul Millsap, then I will be more happy than anybody. But I just don't see it yet.

All is not lost. Yet. This was always going to be a "lost" season given our turnover and unknowns in the sophomore class. Some answers are there, some are developing. My tag line has always been "Can't wait" and this season was always seen in the offing as far as I was concerned. My whole Top 144 thread was an attempt to see where and what folks were thinking as opposed to what I was. I wavered in thatthread -- not Top 144 to how coudl we be left out to back again --- and the thread may have deviated at times, but the story line is stil valid today. I know it's not the same but KenPom has us at #253 today ......... dead LAST in the A10, one spot behind Fordham. Given that ... right now, folks, we are worse than Fordham. Not a value statement but think about that perch at this given moment.

While all is not lost, some deeper questions have come into play but that's okay. Wherever we are going, we are sure to get there.

Tonight. SweaterVest U. Can't wait. Frankly, a SLU win would not surprise me.

KenPom Rank Pyth

Dayton ...... # 37 ..... ,8247

SLU ......... #253 ..... .3104 .... and I don't know what "Pyth" is but that i sjust mind boggling!