GDT: SLU vs ChevyPork Billygoats

jimbofive

a flat, line-drive jump shot with a 38% success rate --- certainly above average. Pull the trigger a little more Austin.

this flat shot issue confuses me. if AM shot flat he would hit bottom of rim, if one is 13"s taller seems he would naturally have a flatter shot since closer to the rim.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With him hitting 38%, I wish he would take more threes. See if he really can stretch defenses, and see what he would shoot if he was attempting them at a Loe-like frequency. Of course, I say that even though I expect basically every shot he takes to bounce off the front of the rim. He has such a flat, line-drive jump shot.

-jump shot? do you mean set shot?

-and I don't recall at the start of the season that his shot was as flat as it is now

-jump shot? do you mean set shot?

-and I don't recall at the start of the season that his shot was as flat as it is now

Another result of his lack of confidence? Can't say that making him change his shot would cause any good, rather it's reasonable to assume it would cause a great deal of harm to his offensive efficiency.

No. Reread your post where you say "we are both technically wrong." Reggie simply was not injured "most of the year". And I never claimed to have "the inside scoop on RA's health"' again, that would be you. Your whole premise is to excuse Reggie's performance due to his having been injured most of the year. Did he miss a few games last year due to health? Sure, there were timely reports at the time. But the rest of the time when he was dressed, participated in warm ups, and there were no reports of injury, we simply have to presume he was healthy.

Think about the position you are presenting. Last year, the game is on the line but DE needs a break to come out of the game, Crews sends Reggie in hoping he can handle 4 minutes. Instead, Reggie's man burns him for a basket and then Reggie makes a turnover on the offensive end. Reggie comes out of the game logging only 1 minute. I say he was given an opportunity. Your minutes per game stat suggests otherwise.

It does indeed appear that RA was hurt to some degree most of last year. See post #178: http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=25383&page=9. I believe that Billikenboy is fairly close to RA and RA's past coaches. His information re: RA is pretty reliable in my opinion. Of course, there is an entire thread there which details some of RA's injuries last year, including your post #180 acknowledging RA's surgery.

You're right, RA had his chance in that one minute and didn't prove a damn thing. Are you seriously defending your position that RA really had the opportunity to prove himself last year? Really? Did anyone other than the seniors, JM and AM really get a chance to prove their worth last year? Because I seem to remember many of us bemoaning the fact that JC didn't give them a chance, especially early in the season during blowouts.

Clock, you are pretty close to dead wrong on RA's opportunities last year.

It does indeed appear that RA was hurt to some degree most of last year. See post #178: http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=25383&page=9. I believe that Billikenboy is fairly close to RA and RA's past coaches. His information re: RA is pretty reliable in my opinion. Of course, there is an entire thread there which details some of RA's injuries last year, including your post #180 acknowledging RA's surgery.

You're right, RA had his chance in that one minute and didn't prove a damn thing. Are you seriously defending your position that RA really had the opportunity to prove himself last year? Really? Did anyone other than the seniors, JM and AM really get a chance to prove their worth last year? Because I seem to remember many of us bemoaning the fact that JC didn't give them a chance, especially early in the season during blowouts.

Clock, you are pretty close to dead wrong on RA's opportunities last year.

Moy. I really don't know how to things even more simply for you. If Reggie got into 17 games last year, if our team needed help at Reggie's position and if Reggie didn't produce in the time given, then yes, he was given an opportunity. Should Crews have nonetheless continued to play him even if he struggles -- I said yes all last year and still believe the same - but the needs of the team also must be considered. Obviously, our head coach thought otherwise. As neither of us are at practice each day, at some point we much defer to the head coach who is. Obviously, Crews wanted to shorten the bench and win last year. As bad and tough of a season it has been this year, at least I am glad we won last year.

But don't miss the bigger issue. Both of our comments were not limited to last year. This year, you again cite that Reggie has played some of the fewest minutes on the team this year. Again, I say that Reggie has certainly been given an opportunity this year. Some games, he has been horrible and therefore did not play much. Other games, he probably did not play at all because of matchups and possibly because of his play in practices. Then again, Reggie has had good games and moments as well including those 11 minutes against VCU, he has looked good. Against UD the other night, he had a huge offensive rebound/scored on a put back right before injuring his ankle and having to come out. All you can ask for is equal opportunity (the chances to play). Equal outcome (the number of minutes played) I would suggest is more dependent upon the player than the head coach. No head coach will sit a kid who produces.

After all this time, you still don't get the concept and understand the benefit of a stretch big?

No, I get and understand the concept of a stretch big. What I am saying is that I see alot more stretch than I see big. If AG is going to play, then keep shooting the 3 AND use this year to work on his interior game as well. Right now, though, AG has played in all 24 games and has made 12 three point shots -- which is 1 every other game. And, of course, the other day AG made 2 three pointers (and missed the final shot at the end of the game -- I am just glad he had the confidence to shoot it and didn't play hot potato with the ball) so that means, on average, he then went 3 games without make a three pointer. Frankly, no one is stretching any defense with 1 made three pointer every other game. And again, I'd suggest that a big needs to play on the interior as well as the perimeter if he wants to keep defenses honest and truly stretch defenses. Defenses are not stretched just because a tall guy lines up on the perimeter. Why bother guarding a guy who doesn't post up on the inside who averages 1.5 ppg from the perimeter? Instead, drop your man off AG and double up on MY. That is why I see RA being able to free up alot more space for MY than I do seeing AG. Again, don't get me wrong. I like AG, I like his future, I am glad we didn't redshirt him this year -- but keep playing him.

Now, as to John Manning, can you say healthy scratch?

Pyth as in Pythagorean.

Originally developed by Bill James (the father of sports stats...particularly baseball) around 1984 to determine how many wins a team should have in a season. It was called Pythagorean Expectations. Over the years, it has been expanded to determine probability of winning a game (as kwyjibo pointed out above) and even spreads. About 10 years later, Daryl Morey (Houston Rockets GM) developed the Modified Pythagorean Theorem for basketball based on James original model. It is Daryl's model that I use in my point spreads. Years later, there was the Pythagorean projections for NFL football and finally last year a Pythagorean formula for the NHL

If Pythagoras had only known about Billiken basketball 2500 years ago, he could have figured out point spreads and been famous today.....Bills by 3 over the Greek Empire.

Mods-

The Wiz just plagiarized Wikipedia. This is taken serious in school and should be here as well.