Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

3 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I am sure they would have liked Gordon before the roster was set.  I think they would have put the program in a bad spot cutting someone after the season started so I can believe they told him no thanks at this point.

That is true. I was kind of wondering what the plan would be since they already have a 10 man roster with a few guys getting limited minutes in the 1st session.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

That is true. I was kind of wondering what the plan would be since they already have a 10 man roster with a few guys getting limited minutes in the 1st session.

Lol.  BBE are all about acquiring the best talent.  If Gordon wanted to play there they would have welcomed him with open arms

The tweet says he's playing with Team Penny for this event, but what about future ones? Can guys switch AAU teams any time? Theoretically, could he play on a different team for every event he chooses to play in? Or are you 'committed' to an AAU program for a certain period of time?

7 hours ago, Pistol said:

The tweet says he's playing with Team Penny for this event, but what about future ones? Can guys switch AAU teams any time? Theoretically, could he play on a different team for every event he chooses to play in? Or are you 'committed' to an AAU program for a certain period of time?

Each EYBL teams get points off of their performance in EYBL play.  Top teams qualify for Peach Jam.  I believe you have to play in two EYBL sessions to be eligible to play in Peach Jam (if they make it that far). 

A question for people that more know about recruiting tactics than me: Does the coaching staff mostly just focus on Thatch & Gordon this weekend? Or do they catch a Gordon & Thatch game here & there, but mostly focus on non-committed players? 

I realize no one has a real answer, but it's an interesting topic regarding strategy. 

9 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

A question for people that more know about recruiting tactics than me: Does the coaching staff mostly just focus on Thatch & Gordon this weekend? Or do they catch a Gordon & Thatch game here & there, but mostly focus on non-committed players? 

I realize no one has a real answer, but it's an interesting topic regarding strategy. 

Just a guess but Frank has talked about how when Ford has a player he wants he focuses most of his energy there.  I would guess at least one coach and often Ford being the one going to all of Gordon's games.  Not sure if he will be able to get a better player than him and as of now, those two take up all available scholarships for 2018.

Yes, I realize there are always transfers but unless Ford thinks or knows of one that could happen before the year, I am sure it makes it extremely difficult to get a kid that has a lot of great offers to go to SLU making them over committed on scholarships.  

31 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

Just a guess but Frank has talked about how when Ford has a player he wants he focuses most of his energy there.  I would guess at least one coach and often Ford being the one going to all of Gordon's games.  Not sure if he will be able to get a better player than him and as of now, those two take up all available scholarships for 2018.

Yes, I realize there are always transfers but unless Ford thinks or knows of one that could happen before the year, I am sure it makes it extremely difficult to get a kid that has a lot of great offers to go to SLU making them over committed on scholarships.  

06,  please see my post on page 81 of this thread.  Gordan and Thatch do not take up all 2018 scholarships.  There is still one available.

The highest priority kids will get the most looks but since the games are staggered, there's always time to evaluate the other kids on your board.  That includes high priority recruits from younger classes, like EJ Liddell and Mario McKinney. Below are the 2018 Billiken targets that were at EYBL Indianapolis. Jared Rhoden has had the best weekend so far:

Carte'Are Gordon (Team Penny, only played one game before he twisted his ankle)

Fred Thatch (BBE)

Karrington Davis (BBE)

Joseph Reece (BBE)

Jared Rhoden (New York Lightning)

Junub Chuol (New York Lightning)

Vincent Williams (All Ohio Red)

Jalen Lecque (Southern Stampede)

Chase Audige (PSA)

8 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

The highest priority kids will get the most looks but since the games are staggered, there's always time to evaluate the other kids on your board.  That includes high priority recruits from younger classes, like EJ Liddell and Mario McKinney. Below are the 2018 Billiken targets that were at EYBL Indianapolis. Jared Rhoden has had the best weekend so far:

Carte'Are Gordon (Team Penny, only played one game before he twisted his ankle)

Fred Thatch (BBE)

Karrington Davis (BBE)

Joseph Reece (BBE)

Jared Rhoden (New York Lightning)

Junub Chuol (New York Lightning)

Vincent Williams (All Ohio Red)

Jalen Lecque (Southern Stampede)

Chase Audige (PSA)

Thanks, 3_Star. I saw a headline that Mario McKinney is starting to get a lot of HM attention, but I'm not a subscriber to Scout. Assuming he had a good weekend too

10 hours ago, JMM28 said:

From Roy Schmidt on twitter:

And speaking of Demarius Jacobs, he received his 1st scholarship offer as a 2018 recruit today courtesy of St. Louis & HC Travis Ford.

Roy's tweets for the speaking of were that he always thought Jacobs was a mid-major plus type player but this weekend was first time he thought he can be a high major player.

SLU recruit Jordan Walker (NY/NJ) is expected to announce today.  Seton Hall and Cal rumored to be leading (247sports has Seton Hall likely with Oklahoma 2nd).  I have no idea how active SLU's interest is.

30 minutes ago, kwyjibo said:

SLU recruit Jordan Walker (NY/NJ) is expected to announce today.  Seton Hall and Cal rumored to be leading (247sports has Seton Hall likely with Oklahoma 2nd).  I have no idea how active SLU's interest is.

I'm guessing that recruitment ended when Ty Graves joined the team.