Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

25 minutes ago, TheOne said:

Referring to JG? He will not bolt.

I agree, and I base my belief on one thing and that is if JGood feels that he is a future pro prospect why sit out another year?

JGood will be coming back to a real good situation at SLU and there is no doubt in my mind barring injury, S3, or academics this team will be in the top 2 in the A10 and in the big dance.

I believe some pro scouts will start looking at French at sometime giving him exposure.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

He’s raw, could be a redshirt candidate with long term high ceiling?

I agree if we get another high school recruit we need to redshirt them because we already have 4 for 2018.

Okay, this one was a little harder to piece together, so bear with me. New offer Aguir Agau:

-He appears to be at his 5th high school. He started at Creighton Prep, was dismissed in early 2016 (his junior year, and I don't know the story), then went to Omaha Central and was ruled ineligible, so he transferred out to Cathedral in Los Angeles, where he played the 2016-2017 season and mostly rode the bench in a deep program. He transferred to Middlebrooks Academy in LA for his prep year and played the beginning of the 2017-2018 season, but some time in late November or early December, he transferred to The Skill Factory in Atlanta.

-He took official visits to New Orleans and Oregon State in the fall, when he was still at Middlebrooks. At the time, those two, Washington State, Long Beach State, and Tulane were the five schools working him the hardest. I don't know where he stands with any of them currently, now that he's no longer based on the West Coast. He has taken unofficial visits to Nebraska and a few others.

-He ran with the Las Vegas Knicks on the adidas AAU circuit this past summer. Most of his offers came during this time, when he was playing for the LV Knicks and had already announced his enrollment at Middlebrooks. He played his summer 2016 season with Omaha Elite and got offers from UMKC and SIUE.

-He won MVP of the Deng Camp in Omaha last summer. We have at least one other offer (Junub Char Chuol) to an Omaha-based South Sudanese kid who played in the Deng Camp. I'm not sure which assistant has Omaha (or South Sudanese basketball) ties, but it's an interesting common thread.

-He says he wants to be a chiropractor someday, after playing professionally.

billikens747 likes this

10 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

From a pure roster make-up analysis I don't really get this offer. 

If he is a Guard I agree with you but since he is 6'6" with long arms could we be considering him as a J Bess replacement down the road.  I know he doesn't have JB's body but he would have some time to add the needed strength.

RIP HUMPS likes this

Aguir Agau - SG, 6-6, 190 - Omaha, NE (The Skill Factory, GA) - Twitter: @_agau13

Offers: SLU, Colorado, Washington State, Oregon State, Tulane, Utah State, Eastern Michigan, SIUC, UMKC, Long Beach State, UC-Riverside, Cal State-Fullerton, Cal State-Northridge, Idaho State, New Orleans, SIUE, UMass-Lowell.

Interest: Creighton, Nebraska, Iowa, Northwestern, Iowa State, Cal, UNLV, Pepperdine, Milwaukee, Green Bay, Drake, South Dakota, South Dakota State, Denver, Nebraska-Omaha, Montana State, UC-Davis.

Latest News: Agau received an offer from SLU. (2/27/18)

Scouting Report: Agau is a big, long, versatile guard who mostly played as a point guard earlier in high school. He's a smart player with a great feel for the game. He plays with a really high motor and chases rebounds relentlessly. He's got a great first step to get past defenders and finishes well with both hands. He can also step out and knock down threes. He has a 38" vertical and 7' wingspan. Agau is from Omaha, and was dismissed in 2016 from Creighton Prep. He then went to Omaha Central, where he was only allowed to play out the regular season. He transferred out to Cathedral in Los Angeles for his senior year, then enrolled for a prep year at Middlebrooks Academy before transferring to The Skill Factory in Atlanta, where he is now. Agau is the younger brother of SMU player Akoy Agau.

I can't tell how good a shooter he is; the best I can find is this Deng Camp profile, which shows that he shot 40% from 3 there, and has video with a handful of deep 3-pointers. Shot looks pretty good overall.

52 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I agree, and I base my belief on one thing and that is if JGood feels that he is a future pro prospect why sit out another year?

JGood will be coming back to a real good situation at SLU and there is no doubt in my mind barring injury, S3, or academics this team will be in the top 2 in the A10 and in the big dance.

I believe some pro scouts will start looking at French at sometime giving him exposure.

Im sure he thought about bolting. 

- but he would have to sit out a year

- he would be leaving a team thats in a spot for the next 2 years of going to the tournament 

- he would be leaving what he started

- he would be leaving family

He wouldn't have said "i'll see everyone in may" if he wasn't 100% set on coming back.  Heck, even if he was 90% sure he was coming back he still probably wouldn't have said that. 

CBFan likes this

55 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Aguir Agau - SG, 6-6, 190 - Omaha, NE (The Skill Factory, GA) - Twitter: @_agau13

Offers: SLU, Colorado, Washington State, Oregon State, Tulane, Utah State, Eastern Michigan, SIUC, UMKC, Long Beach State, UC-Riverside, Cal State-Fullerton, Cal State-Northridge, Idaho State, New Orleans, SIUE, UMass-Lowell.

Interest: Creighton, Nebraska, Iowa, Northwestern, Iowa State, Cal, UNLV, Pepperdine, Milwaukee, Green Bay, Drake, South Dakota, South Dakota State, Denver, Nebraska-Omaha, Montana State, UC-Davis.

Latest News: Agau received an offer from SLU. (2/27/18)

Scouting Report: Agau is a big, long, versatile guard who mostly played as a point guard earlier in high school. He's a smart player with a great feel for the game. He plays with a really high motor and chases rebounds relentlessly. He's got a great first step to get past defenders and finishes well with both hands. He can also step out and knock down threes. He has a 38" vertical and 7' wingspan. Agau is from Omaha, and was dismissed in 2016 from Creighton Prep. He then went to Omaha Central, where he was only allowed to play out the regular season. He transferred out to Cathedral in Los Angeles for his senior year, then enrolled for a prep year at Middlebrooks Academy before transferring to The Skill Factory in Atlanta, where he is now. Agau is the younger brother of SMU player Akoy Agau.

I can't tell how good a shooter he is; the best I can find is this Deng Camp profile, which shows that he shot 40% from 3 there, and has video with a handful of deep 3-pointers. Shot looks pretty good overall.

He's also the brother of Akoy Agau who played for Louisville, Georgetown and SMU.  Was a stud until knee surgeries took their toll.

25 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

So we all just agree that it has blown over as SLU hoped it would? Cool, I guess 

That's leadership.......The Pestello Way.......

Kind of like the clocktower deal.  Pay homage to the aggrieved and count on the furor to be short lived among the apathetic alumni.......  

3 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

That's leadership.......The Pestello Way.......

Kind of like the clocktower deal.  Pay homage to the aggrieved and count on the furor to be short lived among the apathetic alumni.......  

Since certain posters can't help themselves, checking that thread is now pointless. 

4 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Since certain posters can't help themselves, checking that thread is now pointless. 

I agree with this it is time to look forward now, however I will stay in the fire Pestello club.

HenryB likes this

Ben Fred is paying attention:

In his latest recruiting win, SLU men's basketball coach Travis Ford landed a commitment from Chicago native Demarius Jacobs, a 6-foot-2, three-star combo guard in the 2018 class.

Jacobs, who plays at Hillcrest Prep in Phoenix, was scheduled to visit Illinois, but cancelled those plans after his official visit to SLU. He was previously committed to Southern Illinois before he reclassified and went the prep-school route.

He averaged 13.5 points, 4.1 rebounds and 2.4 assists for the talented Mac Irvin Fire AAU program last spring and summer on Nike's summer circuit.

Seems like a good addition. And there's a connection worth watching.

Jacobs' brother, Markese Jacobs, is a four-star point guard in the 2019 class who is committed to Kansas.

If that happened to fall through, one wonders if Markese might consider playing with his brother at SLU?

JohnnyJumpUp likes this

1 hour ago, Compton said:

Does the Jacobs commitment take us out of the running for Alan Griffin? 

No, we're still recruiting shooters and wings. Griffin is both. If anything takes us out of the running for him, it's that he's being heavily recruited by St. John's, Minnesota, Xavier, and a few others right now. The pool is getting crowded and I haven't seen SLU linked to his name in a while. Then again, I said the same of Jacobs before he announced his visit. This staff is sneaky.

Just now, Pistol said:

No, we're still recruiting shooters and wings. Griffin is both. If anything takes us out of the running for him, it's that he's being heavily recruited by St. John's, Minnesota, Xavier, and a few others right now. The pool is getting crowded and I haven't seen SLU linked to his name in a while. Then again, I said the same of Jacobs before he announced his visit. This staff is sneaky.

And Illinois just offered, which means our chances have skyrocketed  

20 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Quick HIRE HIS DAD!  Oh that's that other program........

Funny!