Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

8 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

@Pistolmight be able to provide us with a solid breakdown of Austin having watched him at X.

Yeah, looks like Austin is at his second destination that didn't end up being a great fit for him. He actually signed with Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee first but got out of his LOI after the coaching change when he went to Xavier. Then he had the misfortune of Edmond Sumner immediately establishing himself as a star, so he really only played decent minutes when Sumner was injured. During those periods, I thought he was a really solid PG, actually. He's one of those guys who doesn't pop off the stat sheet but is just steady and solid and gives you good minutes. A lot of Xavier fans thought he was too impatient by leaving, and Sumner ended up going pro, but he had made up his mind to leave by then. Maybe he was also concerned about Goodin in the glass behind him, but there were more minutes to be had for him regardless. He definitely never played up to his potential - I thought he was quite good in HS and AAU - but he just hasn't been a good fit anywhere yet and now has been recruited over.

He's never been known as a big-time offensive threat; he's more of just a steady offensive player and stronger defender. He doesn't shoot threes at all. He's unselfish, and comfortable playing uptempo or at a slower pace. I wish I had more of a chance to see him when he was at XU, but he just wasn't on display enough. Most of what I can remember is that I liked him when he played and wished he'd stayed.

He offers depth and experience, and I think he'd be a good one-year plug for us. He hasn't had a chance to assert himself at either of his schools, and he'd end up in a situation his senior year where he has a chance to both win and get some solid minutes.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Do you hold a spot open to wait to see how the whole FBI thing plays out? Could be a ton of players looking to commit somewhere else or to transfer.

We have 3, probably 4 scholarships to give and Ford already indicated he might carry one over, so we should have capacity regardless of when and how this thing plays out. But yeah, anything is possible at this point.

Another reason I like Austin as the possible SEC PG transfer for next season is that while we've been saying all along that we need a PG and a shooter, Ford has promised Goodwin the reins at PG as long as he's here, so it makes sense to have a guy who's a solid one-year presence this upcoming season instead of an incoming HS player who might get restless playing behind Goodwin for a few years.

VeniceMenace and Zink like this

28 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Yeah, looks like Austin is at his second destination that didn't end up being a great fit for him. He actually signed with Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee first but got out of his LOI after the coaching change when he went to Xavier. Then he had the misfortune of Edmond Sumner immediately establishing himself as a star, so he really only played decent minutes when Sumner was injured. During those periods, I thought he was a really solid PG, actually. He's one of those guys who doesn't pop off the stat sheet but is just steady and solid and gives you good minutes. A lot of Xavier fans thought he was too impatient by leaving, and Sumner ended up going pro, but he had made up his mind to leave by then. Maybe he was also concerned about Goodin in the glass behind him, but there were more minutes to be had for him regardless. He definitely never played up to his potential - I thought he was quite good in HS and AAU - but he just hasn't been a good fit anywhere yet and now has been recruited over.

He's never been known as a big-time offensive threat; he's more of just a steady offensive player and stronger defender. He doesn't shoot threes at all. He's unselfish, and comfortable playing uptempo or at a slower pace. I wish I had more of a chance to see him when he was at XU, but he just wasn't on display enough. Most of what I can remember is that I liked him when he played and wished he'd stayed.

He offers depth and experience, and I think he'd be a good one-year plug for us. He hasn't had a chance to assert himself at either of his schools, and he'd end up in a situation his senior year where he has a chance to both win and get some solid minutes.

I agree with all of this. I think Austin would be a great addition for next year. Gattlin, Austin, and Jacobs would be the ideal class make up too 

4 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

They do, 6 listed with 3 in their rotation. Yaya is really raw, but has impressive measurables already (6'9, 210). I heard about Yaya this summer and would note that he was working out with Matt Baniak. I saw them play Chaminade and thought the freshmen point guards, Jeremiah Walker and Rico Barfield (apparently his best game on the season), looked solid as did Yaya.

DeSmet has some impressive athletes coming up thru the ranks, oops, I meant to say DeSmet sucks.

Speak of the devil. I think that Yaya kid is sitting in front of me at the game.

25 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Speak of the devil. I think that Yaya kid is sitting in front of me at the game.

He's a 2021 kid? Sounds like the interest list for that year is getting its first name...

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Agreed. Based on this insight, could see LA being a solid role player off the bench...and fortunately we’ll have a lot of offensive threats he can pass to....whereas he doesn’t have that luxury at Vandy vs SEC teams.

22 hours ago, TheOne said:

Yes, currently playing.  And has been discussed on this board before, though not very recently.

Larry Austin Jr is a fourth year junior at Vanderbilt. Buried behind Saben Lee, Payton Willis and incoming McD AA Darius Garland. Would be a welcome addition

21 minutes ago, NH said:

Larry Austin Jr is a fourth year junior at Vanderbilt. Buried behind Saben Lee, Payton Willis and incoming McD AA Darius Garland. Would be a welcome addition

Hoping he is a backup plan.  Really? SLU wants a guy buried on the depth chart on an 11 - 18 team???? Gotta be better options.

10 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Interesting Thatch is higher rated nationally but Jacobs has what many would consider “better” offers. 

Thatch is signed and was a solid commit for a long time before that  ...  Jacobs is not signed and is undecided.

7 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Hoping he is a backup plan.  Really? SLU wants a guy buried on the depth chart on an 11 - 18 team???? Gotta be better options.

Vandy is 11-18 but still no. 87 on KenPom, not a terrible team. He’s buried because Vandy has a terrific freshman guard in Saben Lee and an even better one coming in next year in Garland. We need ballhandlers and Larry Austin is that; I’d take him in a heartbeat.

Zink and TRN like this

22 hours ago, bauman said:

My post was referring to Hines.  With regard to Austin let's also remember that he was in a strange situation this year since he was probably recruited to Vandy by a different Head Coach--Stallings-- than who is there now.

Believe he was recruited by Drew. Good ball handler and very good defender. Otherwise not much to write home about but we could use that skill set for sure

42 minutes ago, NH said:

Believe he was recruited by Drew. Good ball handler and very good defender. Otherwise not much to write home about but we could use that skill set for sure

With what we are losing (Roby, Hines, and Graves (never had)) and have coming in, a capable backup point guard is a clear need. Getting a kid who only ties up a scholarship for one year and a guy Tate is familiar with seems like a really nice fit at this point. We have a strong core, so adding a one year stop gap to handle the point at times seems pretty ideal. I think point guard becomes a top positional priority for 2019. It is interesting because we are kind of building a roster that is the opposite of where the game is going, but I love it and think it can really work and is already working despite no bench.