Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 7:41 PM, MattyMo213 said:

Surprising that THT didn't have Michigan State or Michigan in top 7. Those "experts" over at 247 all had him going to one of those two schools.

I thought Michigan would be included, as well. I'm not surprised that MSU, FSU, and Mizzou were cut. Kansas and Dayton aren't entirely surprising, either, although he did mention them a week ago. The only inclusion that surprised me was Georgia Tech; I hadn't seen much between him and them lately. Regardless, it's great to be on this list and his graphic looks good:

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

I thought Michigan would be included, as well. I'm not surprised that MSU, FSU, and Mizzou were cut. Kansas and Dayton aren't entirely surprising, either, although he did mention them a week ago. The only inclusion that surprised me was Georgia Tech; I hadn't seen much between him and them lately. Regardless, it's great to be on this list and his graphic looks good:

-cool. let's get him

21 hours ago, slusam said:

I'm not on twitter so could someone tweet Stu that Rhoden is visiting this weekend and we made the final 7 for THT. I doubt he knows. Also ask him to follow-up with Rhoden to see how his visit went.

Someone appears to have taken your advice, although Stu hasn't replied yet:

12 minutes ago, Pistol said:

This is good news. Odds still aren't great, but nice to make another round of cuts. 

1 minute ago, Cowboy said:

-cool. let's get him

Sizing up our competition, everyone appears to be a legit spot for THT:

Illinois: 3 scholarships left for 2018. They're a finalist for George Conditt (C) and Ayo Dosunmu (PG), so no conflicts there. They're also a finalist for Landers Nolley, a wing, and the thought is that the scholarship goes to whoever commits first between the two, assuming one of them wants it. They were a finalist for Tim Finke, but as discussed a couple weeks ago, his situation has changed dramatically and I don't know if he has a committable offer at the moment. Illini fans would be ecstatic with a Conditt-Dosunmu-Nolley/THT class. Those are the top priorities currently.

Iowa State: 3 scholarships left. They've got two commitments already, Tyrese Halliburton and Zion Griffin. Some thought that the commitments might put THT on the backburner for them, but they still want him and he's still interested. They're also prioritizing Conditt, whose other finalist is New Mexico. I'd have to think a PG is also a priority here.

Georgetown: 4 scholarships left, and a commitment from Grayson Carter (SF). They're a finalist for PF Javian Fleming, who just visited. Even though Carter and THT are listed at the same position, and Pickett and Walker are both freshman SF, there still should be enough room on the roster for both. Ewing was out to see THT last week.

Georgia Tech: 2 scholarships left, with commitments from Kristian Sjolund (SF) and Mike Devoe (SG). The latter name should be familiar to SLU fans, as we offered him a while back. He probably presents more competition for minutes than Sjolund, an international stretch forward. GT is still involved with a number of 2018 recruits and it would take a lot more research for me to determine who they're prioritizing. I haven't seen a lot of heat here lately, but maybe their inclusion on this list will change that.

Ohio State: 1 scholarship left after a wave of commitments from 4 players: Justin Ahrens (SF), Jaedon LeDee (SF), Luther Muhammad (SG), and Duane Washington (PG). Ahrens looks more like a 2-guard to me as a college player, and Ledee is probably more of a PF. So THT could be a fit here, despite the flurry of recent commitments. I don't know what OSU's priority list is like for that last spot, though.

Xavier: 5 scholarships left after the departure of Jared Ridder, and only 1 2018 commitment from a local project 7-footer named Jake Walter. With Blueitt, Kanter, Macura, and O'Mara as the seniors, Xavier basically has room at every position. They're a finalist for a number of players, including Ayo Dosunmu and THT, but they've missed on some other guys recently, like Isaiah Mucius and Jaxson Hayes. Oddly enough, they offered Vincent Williams (Toledo St. John's Jesuit) after he trimmed his list to 6 a few weeks ago; SLU offered VW a while back. Xavier still has a lot of work to do in this class.

Duff Man likes this

46 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Sizing up our competition, everyone appears to be a legit spot for THT:

Based on this list, I assume some of the schools thought to be favorites moved on from him? The crystal ball on 247 has 6 predictions with 4 to Michigan State from the summer, 1 for Michigan from the other week, and 1 for Iowa State from yesterday , so obviously most of the folks on that site haven't revisited their picks on this one or even have a pick at all. I feel like I have never felt we had a good shot, but here we are in the final 6.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Someone appears to have taken your advice, although Stu hasn't replied yet:

Stu Durando, of course, never fails to drop the ball on providing any semblance of important news to SLU fans. Most people have to come here to find out anything regarding SLU's recruiting. Just an all around low energy guy. 

49 minutes ago, NH said:

Has Horton Tucker announced all of his officials yet?

No, he already took one to Xavier but the other four have yet to be announced. The word last week was that Michigan was going to get the second, but here's his final 7 and they're not on it, so it's anyone's guess which 4 of the other 6 he'll schedule. I just hope SLU is one.

Edit: THT will visit Georgia Tech this weekend and Iowa State the following weekend. The last two still need to be scheduled.

2 minutes ago, Pistol said:

No, he already took one to Xavier but the other four have yet to be announced. The word last week was that Michigan was going to get the second, but here's his final 7 and they're not on it, so it's anyone's guess which 4 of the other 6 he'll schedule. I just hope SLU is one.

Roy Schmidt tweeted this morning that Georgia Tech gets one this weekend and Iowa St the following weekend.  

24 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Based on this list, I assume some of the schools thought to be favorites moved on from him? The crystal ball on 247 has 6 predictions with 4 to Michigan State from the summer, 1 for Michigan from the other week, and 1 for Iowa State from yesterday , so obviously most of the folks on that site haven't revisited their picks on this one or even have a pick at all. I feel like I have never felt we had a good shot, but here we are in the final 6.

Michigan State got a commitment at his position after some people thought they might be his leader and things cooled quickly (even though his initial quote to the press was that they could coexist). Michigan was a weird one; they never really showed interest (that I could find), but he got out there for an unofficial a few weeks ago and the thought was he'd go back for an official soon. So I guess they weren't showing the love he needed to make his final list. Most of the crystal ball projections went for one of those two schools right when things were looking up, and then they weren't revised. There was also a point where people thought Kansas might be the favorite, but that one also cooled.

What I've seen in his recruitment with a lot of schools is a sudden spike in interest and a sudden cooling, with conflicting reports in the span of 1-2 weeks. Honestly, SLU has been one of the most steady throughout his process, never the hottest but never one that has dropped off.

19 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

Stu Durando, of course, never fails to drop the ball on providing any semblance of important news to SLU fans. Most people have to come here to find out anything regarding SLU's recruiting. Just an all around low energy guy. 

he cares more about his sons gig as a student-journalist at webster

1 minute ago, Bills_06 said:

Roy Schmidt tweeted this morning that Georgia Tech gets one this weekend and Iowa St the following weekend.  

Ha. I checked too early. I'm seeing this now, too. https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/starting-five-no-1-r-j-barrett-down-to-three

Four-star forward Talen Horton-Tucker continues to make a move towards making his college decision.

The 6-foot-5 wing has cut his list of schools down to a final seven that includes Iowa State, Georgetown, Georgia Tech, Illinois, Ohio State, Saint Louis and Xavier.

So far, Horton-Tucker has seen Xavier officially. He informed Rivals.com that he will visit Georgia Tech this weekend and that he's also got a visit set for Iowa State the following weekend.

It is still unclear whether Horton-Tucker will sign early or late but he appears to be taking the steps necessary to sign during the early period.

8 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Michigan State got a commitment at his position after some people thought they might be his leader and things cooled quickly (even though his initial quote to the press was that they could coexist). Michigan was a weird one; they never really showed interest (that I could find), but he got out there for an unofficial a few weeks ago and the thought was he'd go back for an official soon. So I guess they weren't showing the love he needed to make his final list. Most of the crystal ball projections went for one of those two schools right when things were looking up, and then they weren't revised. There was also a point where people thought Kansas might be the favorite, but that one also cooled.

What I've seen in his recruitment with a lot of schools is a sudden spike in interest and a sudden cooling, with conflicting reports in the span of 1-2 weeks. Honestly, SLU has been one of the most steady throughout his process, never the hottest but never one that has dropped off.

I wonder how much his mom might be involved in the process.  THT gets hot on a school after a visit or talking coach and gets caught up in the moment.  Reporter from that school's Rivals/247/etc site talks to him and he sound all gung ho.   Mom might bring his mind back to what they have decided is important in this process and then he cools off on the school.

59 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

This is a SLU-centric observation. Stu has been working on a massive, long-term investigative project for many months now. And like any of the other survivors at the P-D, he's assigned to whatever comes up on any given day (IndyCar? seriously?). You may have noticed that he was also frequently assigned the 237th Cardinals article in many issues, so now that the season is officially over, he should have at least an extra hour or two in his 60-hour-weeks to devote to more SLU coverage.  

46 minutes ago, bonwich said:

This is a SLU-centric observation. Stu has been working on a massive, long-term investigative project for many months now. And like any of the other survivors at the P-D, he's assigned to whatever comes up on any given day (IndyCar? seriously?). You may have noticed that he was also frequently assigned the 237th Cardinals article in many issues, so now that the season is officially over, he should have at least an extra hour or two in his 60-hour-weeks to devote to more SLU coverage.  

Did I miss his stories in the Post?