Billiken All Century Team - Vote Grawer

SluSignGuy

I voted for Grawer for similar reasons. He's not the best coach we've ever had. That distinction goes to Hickey, Spoon or Majerus. Grawer saved the program and is a pioneer for Billikens athletics.

My other choices

Macauley

Bonner

Rogers

Claggett

Burns

Boushka is a jailbird. He's noted as an All American but he received one 3rd team AA nod from one of the 6 publications which nominated teams. While a superb player I believe he is historically overrated. Ferry and Steiner were held in higher esteem nationally and don't get the recognition Boushka did from SLU.

I believe the criteria for the list were All America status, and or 2 times all conference, and or 1,000 points. I don't like the list very much but they made it this way so they could nominate more recent players. For instance there are 38 nominees Ellis, Cobbin and McCall among them. I could come up with another 15-20 Billikens who were better than those three. Maybe even more with Ellis. Rob Loe not on the list but there were several other big omissions, Justin Love, Jeffers, Dobbs, Ghost Leonard, Rich Parks, Tom Kieffer, Harold Alcorn etc etc.

Anyway I tried to do mine by position. Macauley and Bonner in the pivot, Rogers at the 3, Claggett is my 2 guard with Burns at the point.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

H Waldman was a glaring omission. He was the key to Spoon's best teams. Clagget just missed my five, but Waldman might have been more important those two years.

I may come up with a top 100 player list. Ellis would be top 50 I think but I believe he and H would be ranked similarly.

I'm going with the following:

Easy Ed

Bonner

Hughes

Rogers

Clagget

Hard to leave Evans off because he was a warrior. But the above would have good outside shooters. Good inside game. Could go after the boards. And a lot of athleticism. If we had the 3 pointer back in the early 70s Rogers would have been killer. Right, Tarheel?

I really don't like the concept of an all century team - different eras and a big change when blacks were accepted into D1 programs.

Plus, I can't really vote for someone I never saw play, regardless of their statistics.

So, I'll go with whom I've seen, and I suspect my five would compete handily with anyone else's five.

BTW, Larry doesn't count; nobody counts who didn't stay.

C - Bonner

PF - Roland Gray - he got better every year

Shooting guard - Claggs

Shooting guard, and possible point, and lock-down defender - Lisch

Shooting guard and many other pluses - Harry Rogers

I could add another 5 since the 70's to round out my team:

H would be my point

Marque Perry would be right behind

I could grab another 3 from a group too close to call

Grawer saved the program, but he was too narrow to expand it ; too many control issues.

Majerus was the cream of the crop; 'nuff said.

Jett

Claggett

Hughes

Bonner

Macauley

Hickey

Grawer? Seriously?

Yeah, he did save the program. So did Spoon. So did Majerus.

Grawer was 159-149 with ZERO NCAA appearances, and 2 NIT final fours when 64 teams made the NCAA tournament

Eddie Hickey was 211-89 with two NCAA appearances, an NIT championship when only 8 teams made the NCAA tournament.

Put sentimentality aside and be objective. Grawer was a good coach and a good man, but he's definitely not the best coach in SLU history.

Jett

Claggett

Hughes

Bonner

Macauley

Hickey

Grawer? Seriously?

Yeah, he did save the program. So did Spoon. So did Majerus.

Grawer was 159-149 with ZERO NCAA appearances, and 2 NIT final fours when 64 teams made the NCAA tournament

Eddie Hickey was 211-89 with two NCAA appearances, an NIT championship when only 8 teams made the NCAA tournament.

Put sentimentality aside and be objective. Grawer was a good coach and a good man, but he's definitely not the best coach in SLU history.

You're right that Grawer wast not the best coach. When his teams played Spoon's from SMS, Grawer's teams played soft and lost. Also, Grawer could never make the Tourney (lost to X each year). And yes, RM played chess comparatively. But still, Grawer saved D1 basketball at SLU. Initial season of 5 - 23, attendance below 1,000, tradition of losing, aweful facilities, ugly campus, off campus venue w poor student support, lack of support from school and community ...

Jimbofive over slu72

Pistol over skip

This post sums up a lot of conversation of the old boys club.

This is nothing against your opinion '05. I like all four of the posters you mentioned. Sort of surprised I got to still be coach ^_^

You're right that Grawer wast not the best coach. When his teams played Spoon's from SMS, Grawer's teams played soft and lost. Also, Grawer could never make the Tourney (lost to X each year). And yes, RM played chess comparatively. But still, Grawer saved D1 basketball at SLU. Initial season of 5 - 23, attendance below 1,000, tradition of losing, aweful facilities, ugly campus, off campus venue w poor student support, lack of support from school and community ...

Grawer's first season: 5-23

Grawer's last season: 5-23

He had a nice run, and anyone who didn't experience the awesomeness that was the old Kiel in the late 80s will never understand, but the fact remains he left the program in shambles, and ultimately it was Spoonhour who kept Claggett and Highmark in tow, brought in Dobbs and Waldman and ended the 37 year NCAA tournament drought.

SLU was a national power for 11 years under Hickey. They were ranked #1 under Hickey. He's easily the most successful coach SLU has ever had.

Spoon - Lets face it. He took the team to 3 NCAAs quickly after coming off the 5 win season. I like Grawer, but Spoon did the same thing and beyond, taking SMS to the NCAAs and beating SLU usually, and then took SLU to the promised land.

Macauley

Bonner

Ferry

Boushka

Claggett

I didn't see the guys from the 50s but I really don't need to. I wouldn't keep Musial or Hornsby off an all-Cardinal team because I didn't see them. And Bonner is a no-brainer obviously.

Clagget in a hair over Mitchell, Kevin L, and maybe Evans. This is close. I think Claggett just could carry you offensively, and was a good enough ball-handler and defensive player. I think Mitchell and Kevin were better defenders than Monroe, Evans, Gray, just a little better all-around. I think they didn't have the turnover issues that Jett had. But all those players are very close and hard to judge. They are hard to judge and kicking one off a second team would be tough.

Who have been our All Americans? Easy Ed and Boushka? Was Ferry an AA? I guess you'd have to make any AAs first teamers regardless of the era. It's always interesting comparing old timers to modern players. My guess is, in a lot of cases, the modern players would destroy most old timers. Better conditioning, specialization, nutrition, year round commitment, plus the idea of natural progression makes comparing different eras kind of moot. Still, you have to recognize those whose achievements were measured against the standards of the day.

Who have been our All Americans? Easy Ed and Boushka? Was Ferry an AA? I guess you'd have to make any AAs first teamers regardless of the era. It's always interesting comparing old timers to modern players. My guess is, in a lot of cases, the modern players would destroy most old timers. Better conditioning, specialization, nutrition, year round commitment, plus the idea of natural progression makes comparing different eras kind of moot. Still, you have to recognize those whose achievements were measured against the standards of the day.

Easy Ed is the only Billiken who was named one of the best 5 players in college basketball going by the All-American lists, and the only one who should be considered automatic for the All-Century team based on All-American status.

Macauley made consensus 1st team All American in 1948 and 1949. He was first team according to every list in 1949, and all but 1 in 1948 (which named him 2nd team).

Boushka was AP 3rd team All American in 1955, and was left off every other list.

Ferry didn't make consensus first or second team in 1959, but was named on every list - with most having him 2nd or 3rd. Technically he did make the 10-man "first" team for Look Magazine.

Larry Hughes received AP honorable mention in 1998.

Jett received AP honorable mention in 2014.

Bonner, Mccauley, Rogers, Claggs & Jett. Coach Grawer. Without Grawer, there is no Spoon,Loro, Majerus or Crews. Take that to the bank.

Cannot keep an A10 POY off list.

Rogers is an interesting and legit choice. 10th in scoring, 3rd in scoring average, 14th in rebounds, 5th FT%. Definitely a great Billiken. Still, there are others with similar or better stats. Interested in your rationale of selecting Rogers over others with similar stats such as Gray, Evans, etc.

Rogers is an interesting and legit choice. 10th in scoring, 3rd in scoring average, 14th in rebounds, 5th FT%. Definitely a great Billiken. Still, there are others with similar or better stats. Interested in your rationale of selecting Rogers over others with similar stats such as Gray, Evans, etc.

I watched Harry play for 3 years,

If Harry would had the benefits of a 3 point line and a freshmen year, his stats would had been even better.

Bonner, Mccauley, Rogers, Claggs & Jett. Coach Grawer. Without Grawer, there is no Spoon,Loro, Majerus or Crews. Take that to the bank.

Cannot keep an A10 POY off list.

So basically Rich Grawer is a combination of John Connor and Moses, and we should overlook his inability to win a regular season conference title or make the NCAA tournament and put him on the all-century team instead of

-a Hall of Fame coach

-who won 70% of his games over 11 seasons

-coached SLU to their only 2 outright conference titles prior to 2013

-2 NCAA appearances in 1952 and 1957 when the field was only 16 and 23 teams respectively

-4 times had SLU ranked in the top 10 of the final AP Poll (and the poll didn't exist yet his first year when they won the NIT)

-won the NIT at time when only 8 teams made the NCAA tournament

Everyone remembers Easy Ed, but it's clear that Eddie Hickey has been largely forgotten. Giving him his due on the all-century team would go a long way in restoring his legacy within the program.