Would relocation of Rams open opportunity for SLU?

bk18

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell you what (and I shockingly agree with MB73 on at least half of this premise), if I'm betting long-term on my investment dollar, I'd be buying MLS today and selling NFL (I think the latter is where we agree). I think the NFL is at its peak in terms of popularity and value.

I agree as well. And I say that as someone who played and who loves football.

I don't really enjoy football that much anymore and certainly won't be upset if they leave but the stadium proposal is pretty cool. Not sure if the funding is super practical and it won't be done til 2020 but I like it.

Agree. I don't follow football at all in any capacity, but it would be a cool stadium if the Jags or someone else wants to come here.

One possibility not getting a lot of attention, though, is whether the Chargers can get the votes together to block the Rams' move to LA. There have been much worse stadium issues in San Diego going on for much longer than the Rams' issues with the Dome. If the Chargers get to LA first then Kroenke's stuck with a team he doesn't want in St. Louis. He'll have to sell, I guess, and who knows where they'll end up then. With the riverfront proposal in place, it might be attractive for someone to buy the Rams and keep them here.

I do however agree that if there is a void for the disposable, entertainment dollars, and the Billikens are winning, they will come. I don't think you'll ever see a Chaifetz house the same way one sees a Dayton house, or a Creighton house, or a VCU house -- packed to the gills with rabid rowdies or sold out every night even when losing.

I'd love to see a Chaifetz/Billiken event with scalpers outside the door getting $100 for every spare seat available. Woudl love to. But doubt it.

You would see this if the Rams, Blues and Cardinals didn't exist. And that is the whole point. If the Rams do leave, and I for one hope they don't leave, there will be at least a small silver lining for the Billikens as they will get a small bump in interest and $ support. Other local things that will get a bump include other sports teams, the performing arts, restaurants, movie theaters, etc. People will have more time and money to spend and the Bills could benefit from that.

You would see this if the Rams, Blues and Cardinals didn't exist. And that is the whole point. If the Rams do leave, and I for one hope they don't leave, there will be at least a small silver lining for the Billikens as they will get a small bump in interest and $ support. Other local things that will get a bump include other sports teams, the performing arts, restaurants, movie theaters, etc. People will have more time and money to spend and the Bills could benefit from that.

If we win. Winning generates excitement as in, "I wanna be a part of that." Everybody loves a winner. A loser, not so much.

If we win. Winning generates excitement as in, "I wanna be a part of that." Everybody loves a winner. A loser, not so much.

Having less competition for local sports entertainment $$ would help either way. Parents want to take their kids to sporting events and will find a team to take then to no matter what. Less Pro teams in town would bring more of those dollars to SLU.

But it is true that winning is what would truly drive that long term financial growth by creating the rabid fans who will go regardless of competition for their $$ or family situations.

Just look at the football situation as an example, the Steelers and Packers are each in smaller cities/markets than the Rams. There shouldn't be much debate that St. Louis is a good football market if demographics were the only factor. But what both Green Bay and Pittsburgh have is years of success that has led to generations of rabid fans.

I believe someone mentioned already, but a decent NBA franchise would do more for the downtown restaurant/entertainment scene than a decent NFL team. 10 dates per year vs. 41-44 dates.

I totally agree. but Were definitely further away from getting an NBA team then even an MLS team at this point. Seattle has first dibs on basically any NBA franchise at this point and I cant think of a team that'll leave their NBA city right now unless milwaukee doesn't figure out their stadium which I think they will. And I have doubts about even an mls team coming here.

If there was a big hitter in town who wanted a MLS team here they could have had anytime in the last decade. The problem with St. Louis and the MLS has nothing to do with getting a stadium built or the league's faith in the market. It is that no group with enough financial resources had stepped forward. That will continue to be true even if a new riverfront stadium is built.

The big money families around here just aren't sports fan. Rex S prefers to collect politicians. The Taylors prefer supporting the arts. The rest tend to be second generation rich. And those types tend to cling to their riches, since they are keenly aware that they didn't earn it and could not replace it if they mess it up.

As far as the NBA goes, it would still rate it as unlikely. However, I can see a perfect storm where the city is left without an NFL team and the NBA decides to expand to get Seattle a team. In that scenario, I could see Chaifetz stepping in and getting a second expansion team to play here.

• 1 month later...

It appears that Kroenke and the Rams are all but gone but if St. Louis builds the new stadium then our best chance is lure Shad Kahn back to the area. Believe his business is located in Springfield, IL, he tried to buy the Rams from Frontiere before Kronke exercised his legal rights and am told he wants to return here.

Anyone know the latest?

It appears that Kroenke and the Rams are all but gone but if St. Louis builds the new stadium then our best chance is lure Shad Kahn back to the area. Believe his business is located in Springfield, IL, he tried to buy the Rams from Frontiere before Kronke exercised his legal rights and am told he wants to return here.

Anyone know the latest?

He is from Jacksonville, Illinois and part of the deal of him buying the Jags said that he couldn't move the team for a certain amount of time

He is from Jacksonville, Illinois and part of the deal of him buying the Jags said that he couldn't move the team for a certain amount of time

Boy, talk about the wrong Jacksonville...

Not sure if it was part of the deal of him buying the team. But Jacksonville has strong protections in their lease. Team would have to prove (ala opening their books which no NFL team wants to do) they are losing money for consecutive years to break the lease. So the Jags are probably in Jville until at least 2030. And the NFL is at least working to give themselves the option to send the Jags to London at that time.

If the Rams do leave and a new stadium is built here the Raiders are the real play. Mark Davis isn't believed to have the money to pay the capital gains and estate taxes on the franchise once his mother passes. Very similar situation to the Rosenblum kids and the Rams.

The NFL ultimately would probably prefer a team in STL vs Oakland if they can have just one as the 49ers can cover that market.

The 49ers do not cover Raider Nation.

The fanbases could not be more different. Raider fans loathe the 49ers, and 49er fans don't think much of the Raiders.

I do not see any of the California teams leaving California. The Raiders could well return to Los Angeles as the 2nd LA team. However, Mark Davis and his mother are based in the East Bay.

I think it will be stay in Oakland or go back to LA for the Raiders, and nowhere else.

Also, Khan is from Champaign, Illinois.

The 49ers do not cover Raider Nation.

The fanbases could not be more different. Raider fans loathe the 49ers, and 49er fans don't think much of the Raiders.

I do not see any of the California teams leaving California. The Raiders could well return to Los Angeles as the 2nd LA team. However, Mark Davis and his mother are based in the East Bay.

I think it will be stay in Oakland or go back to LA for the Raiders, and nowhere else.

Also, Khan is from Champaign, Illinois.

In a scenario where the Raiders would end up in STL, the Davis family would no longer own the team.

In a scenario where the Raiders would end up in STL, the Davis family would no longer own the team.

The Davis family is not the sole owners of the Raiders. The Raiders are owned by a group of partners. According to wikipedia, Mark Davis and his mother own 47%, which is contractually structured to give them controlling interest.

For much of his tenure, Al Davis actually owned a much smaller percentage of the team.

I have been an Oakland Raiders Season Ticket holder since the team moved back to Oakland. I do not see the Raiders leaving California, and I do not see them moving to St. Louis under any scenario. I know the idea has been floated back there.

Mark Davis had meetings with San Antonio officials, which was believed here to be a leverage ploy.