Tom Timmermann off SLU beat

b.hayes

There was more or less a schedule set up. If SLU had a game on Wednesday and Saturday during a week, I'd do either a story or a small preview box to run the day of the game and then cover the game. Since my schedule was limited to five days a week so as to not pay overtime or accrue comp days, that left just one other day during the week I was supposed to be working. Sometimes that fifth day was spent traveling -- if I was in an East Coast city that didn't have direct service to St. Louis, that could be a six-hour or more project -- sometimes it was spent in the office on an evening copy desk shift, sometimes it was spent covering something else. There were very few times when I didn't do a story on the day of a game, and if I did one of our small preview boxes, it was usually because of a lack of space in the paper and I was told not to write. (There might be some times when the bosses would look at the schedule and see they had a gap on another day and we'd move something to a different day.) So basically, four stories a week is what you're going to get. Space is tight in the paper nowadays, and usually the only loose period during the basketball season is the gap between the end of the Rams season and the start of Cardinals spring training, when you just have the Blues, Mizzou and SLU. During the offseason, my time is pretty much spoken for between the office and the Cardinals. But in-season, if I were to suggest a story on a day that wasn't part of the schedule, it would be a space and schedule dependent situation, and often the space wasn't there.

Were you party to any of the editorial meetings in which the evil Mizzou J-school grads smoked big cigars and discussed their nefarious plans to eliminate SLU coverage then erupted in maniacal laughter?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My view of TT was that he put forth a minimal effort regarding the amount he wrote about SLU. His overall performance from me would rate a C range grade. Now if the people I served rated me as above, I would be disappointed as an employee even if my boss said nothing. The worst thing an employee should want is to be classified as average. I also will give Stu D his chance but if he performs as TT did then he will be no improvement.

If SLU is a niche audience then so is IL. My question is did we and IL become a niche market or were we made a niche market. I know this is a chicken or egg question but still it bears asking.

Missouri having the only major D1 football team in the state and with IL being a niche market apparently, it only stands to reason for football season Missouri will get plenty of press. Now when the basketball season starts the whole situation changes. People tend to follow their school not the state U as they did for football. So, I would propose that Missouri basketball does not rate anymore play in the press then the local D1 school. This idea that Missouri for all sports is the choice of everybody is simply not true when it comes to basketball.

I know it seems sensible to use the number of blog followers as an indication of a team's popularity but to compare college to pros when the pros cover a much bigger geographical fan base area (both regionally and nationally) is not fair. SLU will never be as popular as the Cardinals, Rams and Blues. But, when it comes basketball, Missouri is not nearly as popular as some may think. Most people check their own team first and then maybe will glace to see what Missouri did but that is all.

This post sure was prophetic as Matter got to write another article about the basketball team yesterday when torren jones got kicked off the team for violation of team rules.

You can set your watch to it. Always another scandal right around the corner.

I like how this thread has basically turned into an AMA (ask me anything) with Tom.* It is a shame Tom didn't set up any chats on StlToday that would have worked similar to this and driven traffic to the SLU page on StlToday.com.

*I am assuming this is actually Tom. He seems to be providing information that only Tom would know and it would be weird for someone to be this diligent about a joke.

It is a shame Tom didn't set up any chats on StlToday that would have worked similar to this and driven traffic to the SLU page on StlToday.com.

You haven't been reading closely. Tom couldn't "set up chats," no more than I could. Such powers only came from On High.

In addition, this thread, in the most densely concentrated group of Billiken fans on the Internet, has generated approximately 10 unique users in the three days since Tom joined it. That's not exactly "traffic."

You haven't been reading closely. Tom couldn't "set up chats," no more than I could. Such powers only came from On High.

In addition, this thread, in the most densely concentrated group of Billiken fans on the Internet, has generated approximately 10 unique users in the three days since Tom joined it. That's not exactly "traffic."

It's a communist conspiracy. All of it.

I didn't realize that. Thanks for sharing. Seems like a stupid policy by those "On High." Any yahoo with a blog can set up a chat, but a PD reporter can't do it.

Joe speaks the truth. I'll add that I answered every email I got from readers asking questions. I didn't get many. As long as I'm here, any other questions?

Have you had a chance to see any of the incoming freshman play pickup games on campus or practice this summer? Any thoughts on the incoming frosh based on what you have seen?

I saw four of the freshmen -- everyone but Roby and Jolly -- in a practice session, but they were working half-court sets at half-speed as they were learning the offense, so it's hard to rate anybody. The veterans who have played open gym games with all of them didn't single anyone out other than to say that Roby and Jolly, because they had been there longer, were slightly ahead of the game. By the time the season comes around, that edge will be gone.

The expansion trail seems quiet. The Big East spent its first season getting its act together after its very rushed start and they were too busy thinking about other things besides expansion. Once they get the second season off to a more orderly start, there figures to be some discussion, but everyone seemed pretty content with 10 teams last season. If the league does decide to expand, I think SLU would remain an attractive commodity because of the size of the TV market compared to the competition. As Jack Kent Cooke used to say, expansion is as inevitable as tomorrow but not quite as imminent.

I think the soccer team should be good. Lots of players back from last season. Alex Sweetin is the most significant loss. There are some promising freshmen from overseas. (Watch Patrick Sarr, a defender/midfielder from Senegal, though he needs to add some size.) SLU's schedule has good, but not great teams, though that can change. I think if they can go 7-2 in nonconference play, their RPI should put them in good position to get in the NCAAs whether or not they win the A-10 championship. Last year, they had what they thought would be a good win against Creighton, and it didn't work out that way, and their inability to win a nonconference game on the road really hurt them. I don't think they're national championship good, but I think they're good enough to get in the tournament and win a game or two. It almost always seems to come down to whether team can score goals. Multiple options in goal.

-wow Tom, thanks for the opportunity on this board to ask you a question, now if this is a one shot deal to decide which one....

-on a program level, not necessarily game by game, what do other programs do that we don't and should be doing and what do we do that puts ahead of them? recruiting better players not withstanding

Been away from the board for a couple days. Great to see Tom participating here. I truly appreciated your work and your life on the road segments really gave some insight into what it is really like to cover a team. Not exactly a glamour job.

Quick question, I believe you have proven the point that the Post Dispatch, compared to some of their peers in the A10, covered SLU as much as it could during your tenure. As readers and fans, what do you think we can do to make sure the coverage remains as extensive?