OT SPUMAC: And the hits just keep on comin'

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The way I see it Pinkel has no choice but to dismiss Beckham-Green from the football team after the reports that have come out. If he doesn't he will either lose the team or be declaring anything goes. Who would want to be teammates with this guy unless you're a thug.

The way I see it Pinkel has no choice but to dismiss Beckham-Green from the football team after the reports that have come out. If he doesn't he will either lose the team or be declaring anything goes. Who would want to be teammates with this guy unless you're a thug.

I doubt that happens. When Pinkel suspended him he already knew all of the details and he knew all of it would come out to the public. If he was going to kick him off the team he would have already done it.

Bowls in 6 of the last 7 seasons, 3 division titles, 2 top 10 finishes, 9.3 wins were year over the last 7 yrs, and many 1st rd picks. They are a football school.

Division titles is such a terrible stat. How many conference championships?

Bowls played is also a bad barometer.

Top ten finishes are a good barometer though and they do produce some solid pros.

I doubt that happens. When Pinkel suspended him he already knew all of the details and he knew all of it would come out to the public. If he was going to kick him off the team he would have already done it.

Maybe Pinkle waits to see how much flack this causes? Wait and see how the wind blows. If it doesn't blow over you can always kick him out later. Something will be said after they scrimmage on Sat,

Since the beginning of 2010, there have been (26) arrests between basketball and football at Mizzou. That stat may not include the last couple either. Unreal.

They are 2nd in the country so far this year in arrests. They were tied for 8th in arrests (with many other schools) in 2013. They were tied for 3rd for most arrests in 2012. They were tied for 8th again in arrests (with many other schools) in 2011. They led in the nation (1st in arrests) in 2010. Whoa!

Didn't take me very long to be wrong on that one! ha

Torn on what to think. Anything that makes Mizzou sports worse is a good thing. But Mizzou doing the "right thing" makes them look decent. The arrests won't stop though so I guess it doesn't matter.

Torn on what to think. Anything that makes Mizzou sports worse is a good thing. But Mizzou doing the "right thing" makes them look decent. The arrests won't stop though so I guess it doesn't matter.

Well, all we have to do is wait a few days for the next arrest.

Wow. Gotta hand it to MIZ for that move. Bold.

I'm not really sure how bold it is. I don't think they had much of a choice. With as many incidents as they have had in recent years involving abuse against women and public pressure increasing, including the excellent column by Strauss in the P-D, there is no way they could have kept the kid. By putting a quick end to it, it gets them out of the news... until the next scandal.

I'm not really sure how bold it is. I don't think they had much of a choice. With as many incidents as they have had in recent years involving abuse against women and public pressure increasing, including the excellent column by Strauss in the P-D, there is no way they could have kept the kid. By putting a quick end to it, it gets them out of the news... until the next scandal.

I think a small handful of teams, especially in the SEC, would have given him an outright boot.

I think a small handful of teams, especially in the SEC, would have given him an outright boot.

I don't know. I'm not a big college football guy, but even on the SPUMAC board they said Alabama booted a 5 star and a couple of 4 star recruits in the same day and Georgia has done it. Also, Florida did it with the kid who is with the Rams now (name escapes me). You got the stuff with the swimmer, Dixon last year, about 1/3 of the basketball team this year and now this. With all that stuff piling up at SPUMAC, I just don't really think there was much of a choice to be made. If they kept him in limbo, it would have remained a story for a long time. At this point, SPUMAC need to do everything they can to stay out of the news. I'm not sure they deserve some major accolades. It just doesn't seem like it should have been a difficult position at this point. Also, I don't know how the AD keeps his job. Wasn't he there back in the Quin era?

I don't know. I'm not a big college football guy, bu even on the SPUMAC board they said Alabama booted a 5 star and a couple of 4 star recruits in the same day and Georgia has done it. Also, Florida did it with the kid who is with the Rams now (name escapes me). You got the stuff with the swimmer, Dixon last year, about 1/3 of the basketball team this year and now this. With all that stuff piling up at SPUMAC, I just don't really think there was much a choice to be made. If they kept him in limbo, it would have remained a story for a long time. At this point, SPUMAC need to do everything they can to stay out of the news. I'm not sure they deserve some major accolades. It just doesn't seem like it should have been a difficult position at this point. Also, I don't know how the AD keeps his job. Wasn't he there back in the Quin era?

Janoris Jenkins got the boot and ended up at North Alabama.

His athletic program leads the SEC in arrests over the last few years. His ass should have already been canned.

If the athletic department continues to have situations involving the abuse of females by athletes, I would imagine the University will have to take a hard look at Mike Alden. I think he is largely credited with getting Mizzou into the $EC and helping build a winning football program, but that should only cover him for so long.

As far as tracking the number of arrests, for me it all depends on the severity of the incidents and the past week has produced some major problems that the athletic department needs to really deal with. Hopefully these are just a couple of bad kids, but there have been far too many incidents involving the abuse of women by athletes and that needs to stop.

The rash of incidents at Missouri U are indicative of how far the NCAA system has completely failed by allowing football and basketball players who should not even be in college to play nevertheless.

Who gets caught, who snitches, who files charges, or not... that is what it comes down to; we just see the proverbial tip of the iceberg.

The "dumb jock" phrase used to be a joke, but now it is way, way beyond that, it is completely out of control on many campuses, and harm is being done.

In hoops, I sure was not thrilled to see Kentucky play U Conn for the NCAA Championship... were you? Two of the worst offenders for so long.

And football? Even worse. So many players are not even close to being capable of intelligent thought, much less be authentic students at otherwise fine universities.

My interest in college basketball and football has plummeted steadily, but especially in the last 4-5 years. Too many schools have pushed it way beyond the limit of being legitimate at all.

Something has to be done.

Maybe for just football and basketball, a division for SLU-NW-Lehigh-Vanderbilt type schools, the players are legit student athletes, go to real classes.

Then Kentucky-Florida State-Missouri-Alabama, players are employees, do not even go to class. Get it over with.