Loe - Just Let it Loose

Loe did something in the second half that I was waiting for him to do all year, keep chucking it up there. He got his confidence going from the inside and the FT line and turned it into made 3 ptrs. Too many times earlier in the year, he would miss a couple 3's that would be in and out and then pass up some easy shots later. He needs to get that Cody Ellis like attitude and not pass up shots, because he is a much better shooter.

Collectively for the season, our overall offensive efficiency is such that I don't see us making a run to the elite 8 or final four. But if Loe gets going, its a whole different story. Everyone knows Evans is going to try to post up and Jett is going to drive left. Loe has been a nice scorer on cuts and rebounds and posting up every now and then, but now he needs to get the ultimate confidence in his touch from the outside. If you would have told me a couple years ago that Loe was going to be able to score inside like he has due to his footwork he has shown this year, I would have told you he would be leading the team in scoring. But he lost the confidence and lets hope he got it back due to a game where the team took the night off defensively and he decided to chuck it up there.

Loe, by brother -- yes, where have you been dude, we been missing you?? What a presence! Really awesome, the shot with 40 seconds is the highlight of the year so far:

gotta quote Coach Norman Dale (the an inebriated Shooter):

Hey, we're coming together as a team. With Jimmy (insert here Robby Loe), all the pistons are firing.

We got ten games to play, right? We're gonna be a tough team to beat. Now you come along for the ride, OK?

(ps: MM with 15 very big points in the first half!)

I will say, when Loe hit those 3s - there was visceral buzz that pulsed through the building - as if everyone collectively intuitively recognizes that when Rob Loe is channeling his inner Dirk, we are unbeatable.

It's been a long time coming, but he's combining his offensive potential with consistently outstanding defensive play...and now suddenly we're re-evaluating where Rob's ceiling is...

re: 1000 points

Loe has 838 points with (realistically) somewhere between 11 and 15 games left. He're what he needs to average per game from here on out under different scenarios (9 remaining regular season games, plus anywhere between 2-6 postseason games - with losing their first respective games in the A10 and NCAA/NIT tournaments and advancing to the A10 finals and the Sweet 16 representing the worst and best case (realistic) scenarios.

9+2: 14.7

9+3: 13.5

9+4: 12.5

9+5: 11.6

9+6: 10.8

Loe's averaged 14.3 points over his last 3 games. It's still a relative long shot, but definitely within reach.

I will say, when Loe hit those 3s - there was visceral buzz that pulsed through the building - as if everyone collectively intuitively recognizes that when Rob Loe is channeling his inner Dirk, we are unbeatable.

It's been a long time coming, but he's combining his offensive potential with consistently outstanding defensive play...and now suddenly we're re-evaluating where Rob's ceiling is...

re: 1000 points

Loe has 838 points with (realistically) somewhere between 11 and 15 games left. He're what he needs to average per game from here on out under different scenarios (9 remaining regular season games, plus anywhere between 2-6 postseason games - with losing their first respective games in the A10 and NCAA/NIT tournaments and advancing to the A10 finals and the Sweet 16 representing the worst and best case (realistic) scenarios.

9+2: 14.7

9+3: 13.5

9+4: 12.5

9+5: 11.6

9+6: 10.8

Loe's averaged 14.3 points over his last 3 games. It's still a relative long shot, but definitely within reach.

How is the sweet 16 the best realistic scenario. This team can beat anybody in the country if we shoot well.

One thing scary about next year is the 5 spot. With JM instead of RL we lose to GM by 8-10 points. I expect JM will give us 6-8 points a game next year w/o the possibility of any breakout games like Rob had against GM. Here's hoping Jolly is advanced enough to relieve Manning for short periods/foul trouble, w/o a tremendous dropoff. I guess a fallback is Reggie getting some time at the 5, if needed. I see GG as nothing more than a short burst of energy at the 4 or 5, not the answer to our lack of depth up front.

One thing scary about next year is the 5 spot. With JM instead of RL we lose to GM by 8-10 points. I expect JM will give us 6-8 points a game next year w/o the possibility of any breakout games like Rob had against GM. Here's hoping Jolly is advanced enough to relieve Manning for short periods/foul trouble, w/o a tremendous dropoff. I guess a fallback is Reggie getting some time at the 5, if needed. I see GG as nothing more than a short burst of energy at the 4 or 5, not the answer to our lack of depth up front.

Three big guards with Reggie and Grandy would be like a wrecking crew! We'll miss Rob, God knows, but the future is still bright.

Jolly, Gillman, and Manning are already the equal of that big stiff for Dayton......

How is the sweet 16 the best realistic scenario. This team can beat anybody in the country if we shoot well.

realistic re·al·is·tic, adj - having or showing a sensible and practical idea of what can be achieved or expected

When a program has never won two games in the same NCAA tournament, it's kind of tacky to project scenarios where they'll win 3, in the context of Rob Loe's chances of scoring 1000 points.

but since you ask...here's what Rob Loe needs to average per game (from here on out) to reach 1000 points under the most optimistic postseason scenarios

9+7: 10.1 (advance to A10 Finals, Elite 8)

9+8: 9.5 (advance to A10 Finals, Final 4)

9+9: 9.0 (advance to A10 Finals, Championship Game)

Three big guards with Reggie and Grandy would be like a wrecking crew! We'll miss Rob, God knows, but the future is still bright.

Jolly, Gillman, and Manning are already the equal of that big stiff for Dayton......

I'm sorry sir, but you will have to be a little more specific. :)

• 3 weeks later...